Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default TRX-4 Monster Truck?

I've been toying with the idea of making a monster truck with Clod-sized tires using the TRX-4 platform in combination with the Traxxas lift kit. We already know Jconcepts Fling King tires work on a lifted TRX-4 because it's been done several times. The tire sizes compare as follows:

Jconcepts Fling King tires: 1.83" wide, 5.72" high.
Jconcepts Monster Truck tires: 4" wide, 5.8" - 6.3" high (depending which tire)

Inevitable part breakage aside, I'm mostly wondering if fitment/clearance would be a major issue. The monster truck tires are only a little bit taller, but much wider and I'm not sure if the wheel offset would allow it to work, or if the front tires would hit the chassis and severely limit steering. Lets ignore the body because it could always be lifted or trimmed, and I wouldn't be using a stock one anyway.

Thoughts? Has anyone tried this?
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2019, 08:54 AM   #2

Default Re: TRX-4 Monster Truck?

I have not, but plan to with a trx-4 sport due to lack of inner fenders. Inner fenders would likely cause issues. That being said I am running 5.8" proline 2.2 tsl 's with them...

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
MODC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:58 AM   #3

There's an awesome one on Facebook. Here are two of his photos.

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:05 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
There's an awesome one on Facebook. Here are two of his photos.

Good stuff. I wonder if he gets rubbing with those Firestorms when he steers it.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:12 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Looks like MIP makes a wide track kit that would probably help with that. Hmm...

https://www.amainhobbies.com/mip-trx...SABEgKx4PD_BwE
Old 03-01-2019, 09:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
Good stuff. I wonder if he gets rubbing with those Firestorms when he steers it.
I'm not sure. Are you on Facebook? If so I can link you to a post.

The JConcepts wheels have an SLW-like removable hub and 3 different offsets are included with the wheels. 1" offset is the max.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Looks like MIP makes a wide track kit that would probably help with that. Hmm...

https://www.amainhobbies.com/mip-trx...SABEgKx4PD_BwE
MIP gives 4mm extra, Hot Racing has a 10mm kit. Another problem would be the extra strain thrown on the steering servo but some of the recent monster torque servos would probably handle that okay.
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:08 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'm not sure. Are you on Facebook? If so I can link you to a post.

The JConcepts wheels have an SLW-like removable hub and 3 different offsets are included with the wheels. 1" offset is the max.
It's probably a TRX4 group, right? I'll poke around and find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigg View Post
MIP gives 4mm extra, Hot Racing has a 10mm kit. Another problem would be the extra strain thrown on the steering servo but some of the recent monster torque servos would probably handle that okay.
True about the servo. There would be other details to work out as well, but I see tire clearance as the main hurdle and it's looking kinda promising with these widening kits. Exciting

Somebody made a monster truck with an Axial builder's kit and it looks cool from a distance but the geometry on that front suspension is a nightmare. This is why I'm looking at the TRX-4 because the Traxxas lift helps retain the geometry.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #9

Quote:
It's probably a TRX4 group, right? I'll poke around and find it.
Yes, you'll find it on some TRX-4 groups. He also has a slot motion video somewhere that I can't find at this time. It appears to drive like an old school truck.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:02 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

So I'm gonna go ahead and try it. I'm still fuzzy on some details but this is the current shopping list:

- TRX-4 kit (not the new kit, the original. I want all the gadgets)
- TRX-4 lift kit from Traxxas
- Hot Racing 10mm axle extensions front and rear
- Jconcepts tribute wheels
- Jconcepts monster truck tires (style TBD)
- Body TBD, probably a 12.3" crawler body

I think those big tires will hit the inner fenders so new shock towers without integrated fenders will likely be needed too. There's probably several hundred dollar's worth of other mandatory odds and ends that will make themselves known as the project progresses.

The goal is kind of a jack-of-all-trades truck. A unique, cool-looking monster truck that can do some crawling but also some high-speed bashing. Good spare parts availability and a big aftermarket to deal with the inevitable breakages and modify to keep things interesting. Will probably go brushless at some point. Should be fun!
Old 03-08-2019, 09:16 AM   #11

Very cool! I'm excited to see what you do with it!

The Tribute wheels and JConcepts tires are awesome. I have a couple of sets of those.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:42 AM   #12
Gold Star Baby!

You all are a terrible influence in the best possible ways. This sounds like a killer build!

Want. But can’t.

Excited to see it come together!
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:02 AM   #13

Quote:
So I'm gonna go ahead and try it. I'm still fuzzy on some details but this is the current shopping list:

- TRX-4 kit (not the new kit, the original. I want all the gadgets)
- TRX-4 lift kit from Traxxas
- Hot Racing 10mm axle extensions front and rear
- Jconcepts tribute wheels
- Jconcepts monster truck tires (style TBD)
- Body TBD, probably a 12.3" crawler body

I think those big tires will hit the inner fenders so new shock towers without integrated fenders will likely be needed too. There's probably several hundred dollar's worth of other mandatory odds and ends that will make themselves known as the project progresses.

The goal is kind of a jack-of-all-trades truck. A unique, cool-looking monster truck that can do some crawling but also some high-speed bashing. Good spare parts availability and a big aftermarket to deal with the inevitable breakages and modify to keep things interesting. Will probably go brushless at some point. Should be fun!
The defender (and tactical?) also has no inner fenders, but all the gadgets...might be worth pricing both ways.. depending what you want for electronics and what the shock towers and things cost

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
MODC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #14

I've been in the same dilemma! I've been asking all around another 2 forums about this exact same thing, without any help! Sorry, first post here. I got the lift kit a few months ago for my bronco, almost got the jconcepts ranger tires and wheels to go the old school lifted look. Unfortunately I now have swamper 2.2 xl tires and beadlocks, the light kit etc. So this truck will likely stay this way with all I've done as a trail rig to run with the GF new trx4 blazer (picking up in 1 week) but really want to do a MT with solid axles, but dont really like the clod, and heard they're really poor performing. I can get a smoking deal on a new one ($100 off) and wanted one when I was a kid, but honestly think a trx4 base, with lift kit, and a mt body, ttibute mt wheels, a good savox servo, and a castle sensored 2850 system would be awesome. Think about it, open diffs for bombing around, lock em to go up a snowy slope, down shift into low.....all from the remote! Parts support is the name of this game. Almost got a smt10, use to be all over Ebay, now one will pop up and go for a lot of money for what it is. Traxxas has parts for the next 100yrs lol. Sorry, rambling! Just super passionate about this hobby. Ease keep us updated with your build!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
pattyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:27 AM   #15

Oh, sorry, real quick, do you think the blue truck is 2.2 or 2.6 wheels? I like the higher profile sidewalls.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyt View Post
Oh, sorry, real quick, do you think the blue truck is 2.2 or 2.6 wheels? I like the higher profile sidewalls.

The blue Bigfoot shows both. The grey wheels with BKT tires are 2.2 from Axial. The white wheels with Firestorm tires are 2.6" from JConcepts.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #17

Quote:
The blue Bigfoot shows both. The grey wheels with BKT tires are 2.2 from Axial. The white wheels with Firestorm tires are 2.6" from JConcepts.
Thanks! I cant believe I didn't notice that! I kinda like the 2.2s better now that I'm looking at it. Thinking I need a project for next winter hahaha.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Thanks! I cant believe I didn't notice that! I kinda like the 2.2s better now that I'm looking at it. Thinking I need a project for next winter hahaha.

You're welcome.

Winter projects are great, but that's a long way away and spring and summer projects are fun too!
Old 03-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #19

Quote:
You're welcome.

Winter projects are great, but that's a long way away and spring and summer projects are fun too!
Oh I know, but unfortunately I have too many hobbies, summer I mainly run and maintain my fleet of RCs, motorcycle, ATV, camp, hunt etc. That and my rc budget is going to the girlfriend's first crawler, the trx4 blazer so I'll have to wait until winter lol.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I've been in the same dilemma! I've been asking all around another 2 forums about this exact same thing, without any help! Sorry, first post here. I got the lift kit a few months ago for my bronco, almost got the jconcepts ranger tires and wheels to go the old school lifted look. Unfortunately I now have swamper 2.2 xl tires and beadlocks, the light kit etc. So this truck will likely stay this way with all I've done as a trail rig to run with the GF new trx4 blazer (picking up in 1 week) but really want to do a MT with solid axles, but dont really like the clod, and heard they're really poor performing. I can get a smoking deal on a new one ($100 off) and wanted one when I was a kid, but honestly think a trx4 base, with lift kit, and a mt body, ttibute mt wheels, a good savox servo, and a castle sensored 2850 system would be awesome. Think about it, open diffs for bombing around, lock em to go up a snowy slope, down shift into low.....all from the remote! Parts support is the name of this game. Almost got a smt10, use to be all over Ebay, now one will pop up and go for a lot of money for what it is. Traxxas has parts for the next 100yrs lol. Sorry, rambling! Just super passionate about this hobby. Ease keep us updated with your build!

I’m in agreement with traxxas parts. I used to make builds out of axial parts but that stuff is drying up. Recently converted an old tmaxx to brushless. Literally a 20 year old truck and had no issue getting stuff. Had several vendors to choose from.

If you really wanted just the monster truck look I can say a maxx with silicone stuffed diffs performs well. As long as you don’t go crazy with the size of the motor they aren’t too fragile either. It definitely falls short in the looks if you’re after solid axle MT. Throw in an emaxx transmission and you can have 2 speed as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SlagMan is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX-4 Monster Truck? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can we get a mega truck - mud truck - monster truck section? Calderwood Comments, Suggestions, and Help 46 08-07-2015 11:15 AM