Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Jato Assembles a TRX-4 Sport Unassembled Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2019, 11:07 AM   #141

Default Re: Jato Assembles a TRX-4 Sport Unassembled Kit

I wondered why the manual mentioned white grease. Turns out it's just to seal the waterproof receiver box.

The Traxxas receiver box is a very complicated piece for what it is. I think it's very odd and stupid that they use two different types of screws to hold on the two different covers. This could have been simplified by using the same screw throughout. Minor niggle.

You can also see the grease applied to the foam pad that you install on the underside of half of the plug-side of the receiver box cover.

Here's the receiver box with the plug-size cover installed. Oh and there's that blue o-ring that has caused Traxxas haters so much grief because of the patents. I believe the patent was partially due to the o-ring anyway. I can't be bothered with worry about that nonsense and I have to laugh when people get mad at Traxxas and think they are patent lawyers. GTFOOH.

I believe I mentioned earlier in this thread that I decided to use a Traxxas TQi receiver so I could still have the use of the Link app and the awesome inclinometer gauge. I believe this will be an extremely useful tool when modifying this truck for maximum performance!

Notice that I had to use a 3" servo extension wire for the ProModeler servo. If you have a servo with a short lead you are going to need a much longer lead.

The Castle Mamba X's lead was just long enough to reach the receiver.

Now the receiver cover is installed. Traxxas tells you to place the receiver toward the front of the receiver box and now it starts to become apparent why they do that. You can access the bind or "Link" button through this hole in the cover.

Now plug the receiver hole with this rubber plug and you can see the red light from the receiver. Another nice touch by Traxxas. If you place the receiver in a different spot it's not going to light up on the outside cover like this.

Attention to details is something Traxxas is great at.

After all that work (I call it fun) we now have a running chassis!

All that's left now is painting the body. Ugh!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #142
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Where did you see bad reviews on the Proline paint?
Few places. Amain is the most recent one I saw. Look at the product reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post

My lhs said the proline stuff was supposed to include some neutral colors - green and tan and stuff. We'll see.
Yup, Pro-line just came out with a new set that even has military green/olive drab! I'm just hoping the bad reviews of their paint are from misuse, and these turn out pretty good. It would make it an easier decision to just grab those sets.

I'm looking for water based paints as the S.O. is very sensitive to smell and complains when I bring a body in the house even though it's been painted months ago.

@Jato - sorry for the derail, but the build is looking good! And dammit... I totally forgot to noleen grease my shocks. *sigh* gotta drain them and go back and do it I guess...

I also had to make servo extension leads as none of my electronics wires were long enough to comfortably get into that box.

Last edited by soze; 03-23-2019 at 11:11 AM.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:33 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Few places. Amain is the most recent one I saw. Look at the product reviews.

@Jato - sorry for the derail, but the build is looking good! And dammit... I totally forgot to noleen grease my shocks. *sigh* gotta drain them and go back and do it I guess...

I also had to make servo extension leads as none of my electronics wires were long enough to comfortably get into that box.
I just checked AMain and there are only two or three reviews that I see. They are all negative, but it's only three reviews. Am I missing some.

No worries. I'm not building a train so you can derail it all you want.

I am getting odd stiction with my shocks built with green slime. It's only at full extension when the truck has been sitting for a while. After getting past the initial stiction the shocks seem to work great. OSRC did not build with green slime so we are going to compare tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:44 AM   #144
I wanna be Dave

Hmmmm, can't find the other ones. I don't remember if it was in a youtube comment section, or some other messageboard..... I'm just hoping it might be down to not prepping correctly or something like that. I had thought the paint might be same as Faskolor, so it should be fine right?
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:45 AM   #145
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Jato - I broke 2 Axial metal hexes and bent a through-pin on my Revolver-equipped Bomber, but I was running 4S and nearly 6" tall tires at the time...

Which tires were you running? Apologies for the off-topic question, !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #146
Go Buckeyes!

Sport is looking good. Great step by step write up.

Can't wait to see it with the body on.

Last edited by B-MOW71; 03-23-2019 at 01:24 PM.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #147
Gold Star Baby!

Awesome build so far as usual, love the detailed write up. It’s like getting a training before I get around to building the sport kit. I know what you mean about the stood up D rings, it’s like a booger on the truck’s face.

For shocks, I haven’t needed green slime on the traxxas shocks, their x ring assembly seems to do well with preventing leaks. I did try and build them with green slime once but they felt sticky so I cleaned it off and rebuilt them. Maybe try a 10w and see if your stickiness goes away?

I also loosen the lower cap, shake out the x ring, and apply some oil there as it seems to help the shaft move freely.

Fill em up, bleed em, I compress them completely before screwing on the top cap with the shock fully compresssed, when tightening the top cap I try and make sure the shock stays compressed as when you get to the last bit of thread the shock shaft will start to push out, and then check for stiction again. Usually they work out pretty well for me with this process so I figured I’d share.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #148
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I decided to use SSD slots because they are such good looking wheels IMO. If you've mounted RC4WD stamped wheels forget that completely. The SSD wheels were so much easier to mount. You don't even need to use longer screws if you don't want to.

Ahh much better. Shiny wheels are good for my soul...or lack of a soul because I am a ginger.

Nice choice with the SSD wheels; they should look awesome on the truck! It’s great to hear they’re easier to mount than the RC4WD stamped wheels.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:42 PM   #149
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Next up is the steering servo. I decided to give the ProModeler 470 a try because of all the talk about it on this site. I'm not sure if it's going to perform, but it sure is damn pretty!

I’m excited to hear your thoughts about this servo. I’ve considered it several times ...

Old 03-23-2019, 05:29 PM   #150

I'll respond to the comments when I have a chance.

I have a quick question though for those with Revolvers...

It seems I can't tune out enough drag brake. Even at 5% it's too strong and stops the truck dead. Any suggestions?
Old 03-23-2019, 05:37 PM   #151
Gold Star Baby!

Have you used the drag brake ramp setting?

for details
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:38 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
Have you used the drag brake ramp setting?

for details

It's set to medium

Thanks. I'll check out the video.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:39 PM   #153
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

It seems I can't tune out enough drag brake. Even at 5% it's too strong and stops the truck dead. Any suggestions?
Jato - IIRC, I followed this video pretty much exactly (although it was for my Bomber, not my TRX-4):

[IMG][/IMG]

This build is making me regret buying an Nvidia RTX GPU instead of one of these kits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thloftus View Post
Which tires were you running? Apologies for the off-topic question, !

Team Losi Maxxis Creepy Crawlers... they break in real nice, got mine mounted up on Gearhead RC CAC wheels (1.5" wide, useful since the tires are nearly 2.5" wide)

Losi Maxxis Creepy Crawler LT 2.2 Tires
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:58 PM   #154
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post

Team Losi Maxxis Creepy Crawlers... they break in real nice, got mine mounted up on Gearhead RC CAC wheels (1.5" wide, useful since the tires are nearly 2.5" wide)

Losi Maxxis Creepy Crawler LT 2.2 Tires

Nice, same tires on the Rock Rey. I didn’t think about running them on the Bomber - sounds fantastic for bashing too!

Old 03-23-2019, 09:22 PM   #155
RCC Addict

I thought you said mambax?
There's race mode and crawler mode - one has drag brake the other doesn't.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:45 PM   #156
Rock Crawler

To your sticking shocks. The black spacer in between the two o-ring is a little too long. To remedy this, either loosen the lower cap as mentioned above, or remove that spacer and sand a little off to fix the stickiness.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:56 AM   #157
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
I just checked AMain and there are only two or three reviews that I see. They are all negative, but it's only three reviews. Am I missing some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Hmmmm, can't find the other ones. I don't remember if it was in a youtube comment section, or some other messageboard..... I'm just hoping it might be down to not prepping correctly or something like that. I had thought the paint might be same as Faskolor, so it should be fine right?
Hopefully this move by Proline will get the attention of those responsible for Tamiya's PS paint line. It's about time we get some colors that reflect the current scaler market.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:23 AM   #158
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

The drag brake on my Monster X/puller pro 540 combo is pretty insane. At 30% it caused my Rock Rey to endo and roll onto its roof on pavement. I had to just set up my GT3C to adjust it with the CH3 trim switch.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
I thought you said mambax?

There's race mode and crawler mode - one has drag brake the other doesn't.
Yes, I have the Mamba X. The Revolver drag brake is too strong at 0.5% strength!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTMI View Post
To your sticking shocks. The black spacer in between the two o-ring is a little too long. To remedy this, either loosen the lower cap as mentioned above, or remove that spacer and sand a little off to fix the stickiness.

I'd agree with that if the stiction was constant. It's not. The shocks are really smooth once you get past the stiction that arises only after sitting idle for a day or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Hopefully this move by Proline will get the attention of those responsible for Tamiya's PS paint line. It's about time we get some colors that reflect the current scaler market.

What's wrong with the PS paint colors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
The drag brake on my Monster X/puller pro 540 combo is pretty insane. At 30% it caused my Rock Rey to endo and roll onto its roof on pavement. I had to just set up my GT3C to adjust it with the CH3 trim switch.

It's insane. The drag brake is set at 0.5% and it's like it's set at 100%. The truck won't move.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:32 PM   #160
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

What's wrong with the PS paint colors?
We were talking about how we need more earth tones, military, and neutral colors.

Pro-Line finally released some in Phase III -

#6325-08 Mil Spec Green
#6325-09 Mojave Sand
#6325-12 Primer Gray

as well as some blues, pearls, and fluorescents.

What we need is Tamiya PS spray cans in colors along those lines!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kit, sport, traxxas, trx-4, trx4

Jato Assembles a TRX-4 Sport Unassembled Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 Sport Assembly Kit! nedmo General Scale Talk 22 03-02-2019 06:52 AM
TRX-4 sport/Bronco kit BrianP Traxxas TRX-4 19 10-27-2018 07:31 AM
Traxxas trx 4 sport vs redcat gen 7 sport part 2! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 08-03-2018 06:31 AM
Traxxas trx 4 sport vs redcat gen 7 sport! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 07-23-2018 07:19 AM