Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: RCTom gets an orange Blazer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2019, 06:40 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default RCTom gets an orange Blazer

Hot on the heels of my Sport kit purchase comes my second TRX-4 purchase of the month, a shiny new orange K5 Blazer.

Truthfully, as soon as I found out about it in February I had my LHS put my name on the wait list. Then Traxxas came out with the Sport kit and I decided to chuck wisdom out the window and buy them both. Let's hope I don't come to regret that decision (I doubt it so far).

On Tuesday, she arrived. I had to wait till tonight though to even get to open the box. A very long two days I might add, but totally worth it!

[IMG]TRX-4 Blazer by RC Tom, on Flickr[/IMG]

Traxxas put some sheet plastic over the tops of the body and the bumpers to protect them during shipping. It mostly worked. A small area on the left leading edge of the roof is the most noticeable area that was scuffed. But before we get to that, lets see some more of this gorgeous square body Blazer.

What's that I see? Why it's a backwards mirror on the passenger door. Well, I guess I can look past that minor snafu. What bothers me more is how my iPhone washed out the beautiful orange color of the body. Trust me, it really pops in person!

Last edited by RCTom; 03-28-2019 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Added a piv
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2019, 06:52 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: RCTom gets an orange Blazer

For now, the sticker body trim looks pretty good. I have my doubts on how long it will last though. We'll just have to wait and see. There's only one area I noticed it doesn't quite line up. Not a huge deal but I'll probably try to straighten it anyway, my OCD compels me!

Underneath the body the chassis looks exactly like the TRX Bronco. All I noticed that's different between them is the body, bumpers, and wheels.

Speaking of wheels, Traxxas friggin' nailed the Chevy truck rallye wheels. They're nearly perfect. My only wish is that they could look this good and also have a hidden beadlock system just so I could swap tires around when I feel like it. Besides that, muy perfecto!

Old 03-28-2019, 07:03 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Love the wheels, they look fantastic!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:16 PM   #4
RCC Addict

...surely you've seen these? https://store.rc4wd.com/Rally-19-Bea...ls_p_5691.html

Dang, I hadn't noticed that trim around the tail lights, yet another piece I'll need to get from Traxxas to graft onto my Vaterra K5 body, I need to look one of these over in person!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Back to that annoying scuff mark I mentioned in my first post. The protective plastic cover didn't extend all the way to the windshield. It's relatively minor in the overall scheme of things, but for $425 I wanted it to be perfect. Besides, shouldn't I be the one to put the first scuffs on it, not a bunch of random strangers while it's being shipped halfway around the world? That's what I think anyway.

So if you look below the reflection of my shop light and towards where the body and windshield come together you should see it. No matter how I held the body I just couldn't get a good pic with my phone; it's much more noticeable in person. Trust me--it's really there!

Interestingly, my son and are working on swapping tires and adding weight to his Losi Night Crawler. I swear I took my eyes off the Blazer for just a second and voilą!, the LNC had a new body. Needs spaced up a little but the wheelbase completely matches.

There's really not much more to say. I think we can all agree that Traxxas hit a home run with the TRX-4. The Defender was great, the Bronco was better, but this Blazer (and it's clear windows--thanks for listening Traxxas) and the Sport kit just upped the ante. What do they have in store for us next? Ooh, I know--tracks. I want those tracks next!

I'll leave y'all with a couple of outdoor poser shots. Because that's the best you can do when you don't have any batts charged to actually drive it, it's getting dark, and the kid had to leave for Boy Scouts eight minutes ago but you're too busy taking photos of your toy truck to drive him.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:25 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
...surely you've seen these? https://store.rc4wd.com/Rally-19-Bea...ls_p_5691.html

Dang, I hadn't noticed that trim around the tail lights, yet another piece I'll need to get from Traxxas to graft onto my Vaterra K5 body, I need to look one of these over in person!
Actually, I didn't know about these wheels until I read JDM74's post earlier today. I like them. They're is a pretty good chance these wheels will find their way onto my Blazer at some point too.

Last edited by RCTom; 03-29-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:33 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Love the wheels, they look fantastic!
Who knows--maybe a set of these wheels will end up on that Sport kit of yours I've been reading about. Hmmmm.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:49 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

What a beauty! I'll be picking up this body sooner or later. Might even pick up the wheels.
soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #9
RCC Addict

[QUOTE=RCTom;5923095]the kid had to leave for Boy Scouts eight minutes ago but you're too busy taking photos of your toy truck to drive him. [QUOTE]

Aw man do I know that kind of situation that's too funny! Glad I'm not the only one who gets comments like that!

That orange looks great! I was wishing for a Blazer back when I bought my Trx, but all they had was that Ford ended up with the defender. the bronco was ok but I really like the Blazer. Those rims are spot on. can't wait to see how you make out yours.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:43 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the great pics. Now I'm REALLY stoked I ordered the orange one! It was a tough decision tho the red n black is a beauty as well.
BACK40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:09 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Is that backwards mirror an easy fix?
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:32 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Aw man do I know that kind of situation that's too funny! Glad I'm not the only one who gets comments like that!
Thanks AnimalHippie. I think all of us with kids that are also afflicted with this tiny truck obsession have all had that "I need to do family stuff but would rather be wheeling" moments. I just couldn't tear myself away from this Blazer long enough to do what I needed and was supposed to be doing. But hey, I did have the truck for two whole days before I even opened the box so I think I earned some extra time to spend with it.

Quote:
That orange looks great! I was wishing for a Blazer back when I bought my Trx, but all they had was that Ford ended up with the defender. the bronco was ok but I really like the Blazer. Those rims are spot on. can't wait to see how you make out yours.
I'm old enough to remember when these trucks were new and was lucky to spend time in both of them growing up. I've never been a brand guy myself--I like them all. However, even though I do like the Bronco's looks I do think this model of Blazer is just plain better looking. And those wheels--I just can't get over how great they look in person.

I do have a few things planned with this one based on what I've learned from my other TRXs. The steering servo will be replaced soon and I also have an interesting thought about another set of wheels I'd like to try. Stay tuned!

Last edited by RCTom; 03-29-2019 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Added a thought
Old 03-29-2019, 06:32 AM   #13
Go Buckeyes!

Congrats on the K5 Blazer buy RCTom. The orange/white is beautiful and is my favorite. Love the outdoor pics. Traxxas did an amazing job on the scale realism on this one. Too bad about the mirror though.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:42 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACK40 View Post
Thanks for the great pics. Now I'm REALLY stoked I ordered the orange one! It was a tough decision tho the red n black is a beauty as well.
From the moment I saw Traxxas' promo pics I wanted the orange Blazer. But when my LHS received there pre-delivery unit for display in black and red I nearly changed my mind. However, I stuck with my original thought and went with the orange. Honestly, you can't make a wrong choice here--they both look that good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
Is that backwards mirror an easy fix?
It sure is! The mirrors are held on with two body clips from the inside so all I have to do is pull the clips and R&R the mirror to its correct position.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:52 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Congrats on the K5 Blazer buy RCTom. The orange/white is beautiful and is my favorite. Love the outdoor pics. Traxxas did an amazing job on the scale realism on this one. Too bad about the mirror though.
Thanks B-MOW71! The stone wall is part of my one of my home's flower beds. It's about time it was graced with a tire from a tiny truck!

The mirror is easily reversed by pulling the clips that hold it in place and turning it around. A five second fix fo sho.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:46 AM   #16
Gold Star Baby!

Nice Blazer and write up! Good looking truck Tom.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:20 AM   #17

I "upgraded" to an iPhone this year and I have to agree that it flat out sucks at capturing colors correctly. See my snot green TRX-4 Sport build as an example.

Great looking truck. The wheels are excellent - perfect even. I wish Traxxas made these in beadlock flavor even if they are only plastic.

Very odd about the mirror. Is it the correct side mirror just backwards or did you get two driver's side mirrors?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:39 AM   #18
RCC Addict

This is the first lexan Blazer that I've seen that looks right, you have to do a double take on some shots of these to know if it's a real 1:1 or a RC truck. Others have come close but this is spot on. Traxxas nailed the Bronco and now this. I really hope to see a Ramcharger next. This is my next rig the hell with waiting on the body.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 03:03 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
Nice Blazer and write up! Good looking truck Tom.
Thanks Danza! You know, I'm just trying to do a good job with my write-up like you and a lot of other people on the forum do with their posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I "upgraded" to an iPhone this year and I have to agree that it flat out sucks at capturing colors correctly. See my snot green TRX-4 Sport build as an example.

Very odd about the mirror. Is it the correct side mirror just backwards or did you get two driver's side mirrors?
I'll check on the mirror when I get home from work. Just glancing at it it just seems like it's the right one mounted upside down and backwards. I'll work on it tonight and post up a pic or two later to verify how it worked out.

I like your snot green Sport! It looks great online and believe it looks even better in person after dealing with the washed-out Blazer pics due to my phone. BTW, I've been following yours, OSRC's, and Soze's posts on your Sport builds because I'm getting ready to start on mine. There's a lot of great info there that will help me with my build. The parts orders are all in so now all I do is have to start turning wrenches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
This is the first lexan Blazer that I've seen that looks right, you have to do a double take on some shots of these to know if it's a real 1:1 or a RC truck. Others have come close but this is spot on. Traxxas nailed the Bronco and now this. I really hope to see a Ramcharger next. This is my next rig the hell with waiting on the body.
Yes, a Ramcharger would be awesome. I'm thinking something in the style of the movie Lone Wolf McQuade. I want to pour a beer over myself just thinking about it (this reference makes perfect sense if you've seen the movie ).
Old 03-29-2019, 05:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTom View Post

I like your snot green Sport! It looks great online and believe it looks even better in person after dealing with the washed-out Blazer pics due to my phone. BTW, I've been following yours, OSRC's, and Soze's posts on your Sport builds because I'm getting ready to start on mine. There's a lot of great info there that will help me with my build. The parts orders are all in so now all I do is have to start turning wrenches.

Thank you! I do my best to make my threads informative and entertaining. I'm looking forward to see what you do with this Blazer.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

RCTom gets an orange Blazer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for info on orange chevy blazer on table.. anyone??? FRENCHBLUE72 Competitions 9 10-22-2011 12:17 AM
Using a Blazer CGR interior inside a 'full top' PLR Blazer body-Has anyone done this? BeeRC Paint and Body 4 10-31-2009 03:37 PM
Nascarkeith's Proline Blazer CGR Bodied Blazer Wheely King nascarkeith HPI Wheely King 6 10-30-2009 02:49 AM
orange blazer bigblazerboy Chit Chat 2 10-10-2007 08:34 PM