Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX 4 Sport Kit vs Axial SCX10 II?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #1

Default TRX 4 Sport Kit vs Axial SCX10 II?

Hello everyone!

Feel free to refer here for background.

So I thought I had decided on an SCX10 II. It was cheap at $199, tons of aftermarket parts and very well reviews.

Well, I was about to order the kit and, of all things, a Traxxas ad popped up on the side that said "unassembled sport kit" That got me interested, so I took a look.

At $280 it gives me the chassis kit along with a beater body and set of wheels for when we want to go out and not mess up our range rover.

But what is actually better about the TRX 4? I was most interested in the TRX 4 because the locking diffs and 2 speed transmission. But this kit has neither of these things.

So assuming almost an identical price, which one should I get?

I know it could be a bit biased here because it's the TRX 4 section, but I trust you guys to be fair.

Thanks.
mattbhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2019, 12:47 PM   #2

Default Re: TRX 4 Sport Kit vs Axial SCX10 II?

Biggest benefit of the TRX4 will be higher quality parts in general, and of course the portal axles. There are a lot of upgrades/mods available for the TRX4 as well, both from Traxxas and from aftermarket.

I have a Bronco, and I gotta say that I love the high range and the unlocked diffs are necessary at higher speed or it will roll over on every corner you take. It really is a blast at higher speed when tearing around with your buddies. You can of course get the higher speed from a Sport by using a brushless motor/ESC, but those are generally expensive ($200 ish).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
niggemannb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:53 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I don't have a SCX10 ii or have experience with them, but I can tell you that the TRX 4 is built like a brick house. I build my sport kit last week and couldnt believe how stout it was. It's probably as heavy as my Losi Rock Rey, which is a much bigger truck. Everything bolted up perfectly.

As far as the two speed and lockers, I figured worst case I add them later if I really find I want them, but it seems like a lot of folks around here got the full TRX4's and then started to remove those items to simplify the trucks anyways.

Last edited by mass-hole; 03-19-2019 at 12:56 PM.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #4

At this point I think it's crazy to choose an SCX10 II over a TRX-4. I think we will be seeing an updated SCX10 sooner rather than later. If not Axial/Horizon is crazy. The TRX-4, as it stands, is a super high quality truck and it performs well.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggemannb View Post
Biggest benefit of the TRX4 will be higher quality parts in general, and of course the portal axles. There are a lot of upgrades/mods available for the TRX4 as well, both from Traxxas and from aftermarket.

I have a Bronco, and I gotta say that I love the high range and the unlocked diffs are necessary at higher speed or it will roll over on every corner you take. It really is a blast at higher speed when tearing around with your buddies. You can of course get the higher speed from a Sport by using a brushless motor/ESC, but those are generally expensive ($200 ish).

Thanks for the info! We are going for high torque, low speed, for the most part.

We're looking a cheaper sealed brushed motor setup to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
I don't have a SCX10 ii or have experience with them, but I can tell you that the TRX 4 is built like a brick house. I build my sport kit last week and couldnt believe how stout it was. It's probably as heavy as my Losi Rock Rey, which is a much bigger truck. Everything bolted up perfectly.

As far as the two speed and lockers, I figured worst case I add them later if I really find I want them, but it seems like a lot of folks around here got the full TRX4's and then started to remove those items to simplify the trucks anyways.
Thanks for the input!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
At this point I think it's crazy to choose an SCX10 II over a TRX-4. I think we will be seeing an updated SCX10 sooner rather than later. If not Axial/Horizon is crazy. The TRX-4, as it stands, is a super high quality truck and it performs well.
Yeah, the SCX10 II has been out for a while.. And QC/Overall quality seems to be a bit of an issue.

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbhm View Post
Hello everyone!

Feel free to refer here for background.

So I thought I had decided on an SCX10 II. It was cheap at $199, tons of aftermarket parts and very well reviews.

Well, I was about to order the kit and, of all things, a Traxxas ad popped up on the side that said "unassembled sport kit" That got me interested, so I took a look.

At $280 it gives me the chassis kit along with a beater body and set of wheels for when we want to go out and not mess up our range rover.

But what is actually better about the TRX 4? I was most interested in the TRX 4 because the locking diffs and 2 speed transmission. But this kit has neither of these things.

So assuming almost an identical price, which one should I get?

I know it could be a bit biased here because it's the TRX 4 section, but I trust you guys to be fair.

Thanks.

I read your other thread the other day and considered mentioning this kit but didn’t get the feeling you’d be receptive.

I’ve built Gmade and axial kits a plenty. I always felt the Gmade kits had better parts(minus fasteners) but didn’t perform as well while axial kits had good performance with part quality lacking.

The trx4 is the best kit I’ve ever assembled. It’s well thought out and just feels good in the hands. I’ve all but written off traxxas up to this point but I really like this kit. Performance is there too.

I haven’t spent enough time with it to say if it will hold up, but the consensus is it does. I’m also unsure of how difficult mounting a hardbody will be.

Hope this is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SlagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #7

The glory of a SENSORED brushless system in comparison to a brushed system, is having high torque and low speed control, while also having the higher speed. There is a larger range on a brushless motor, and once you have it sensored, you get the low speed control that's needed for crawling.

But I can certainly understand not wanting to spend the money. Especially if you are into running in water and mud.

Personally, I am running a Hobbywing 1080 and a Holmes Hobby 21T Trailmaster. It is a really nice setup for the money. And for $20, I don't get too worried about destroying a motor in the muck every once in a while.

niggemannb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlagMan View Post
I read your other thread the other day and considered mentioning this kit but didn’t get the feeling you’d be receptive.

I’ve built Gmade and axial kits a plenty. I always felt the Gmade kits had better parts(minus fasteners) but didn’t perform as well while axial kits had good performance with part quality lacking.

The trx4 is the best kit I’ve ever assembled. It’s well thought out and just feels good in the hands. I’ve all but written off traxxas up to this point but I really like this kit. Performance is there too.

I haven’t spent enough time with it to say if it will hold up, but the consensus is it does. I’m also unsure of how difficult mounting a hardbody will be.

Hope this is helpful.

I was quite set on the Axial, just because I had never seen the the TRX 4 sport kit. I was seeing RTR kits but they were way above budget and we wanted to do our own thing. That's why the Axial kit seemed so "worth it". But after finding this, I am seriously considering it.

And after everyone's comments, I think I am sold on the TRX 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggemannb View Post
The glory of a SENSORED brushless system in comparison to a brushed system, is having high torque and low speed control, while also having the higher speed. There is a larger range on a brushless motor, and once you have it sensored, you get the low speed control that's needed for crawling.

But I can certainly understand not wanting to spend the money. Especially if you are into running in water and mud.

Personally, I am running a Hobbywing 1080 and a Holmes Hobby 21T Trailmaster. It is a really nice setup for the money. And for $20, I don't get too worried about destroying a motor in the muck every once in a while.

I definitely see the upsides for a brushless setup, I just don't think they personally outweigh cons for us personally. The cons being price, haha.

We are planning to do that exact combo, except possibly a higher turn motor. Would a 45T Trailmaster be too slow? Again, we're looking for torque but we don't want a max speed of 2 mph or something.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:19 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Curious why all your posts say “we”?

Anyway....

I’d say go with the TRX4 all day long. I have 2 SCX10ii and they’re OK, drive great, but just feel flimsy and toy-like compared to the TRX4, of which I have 4. Considering ordering the Sport kit or the Blazer as my 5th. Lol
rattmobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post

Anyway....

I’d say go with the TRX4 all day long. I have 2 SCX10ii and they’re OK, drive great, but just feel flimsy and toy-like compared to the TRX4, of which I have 4. Considering ordering the Sport kit or the Blazer as my 5th. Lol
Father and son build. We're working on it all together when I have time. College is, well, not a lot of fun lol.

That's the last opinion I need, we're going with the TRX 4. Would still love opinions but I can't find a single recent post, here or elsewhere, saying that the Axial is better. And with this kit they're even about the same price.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:37 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Default TRX 4 Sport Kit vs Axial SCX10 II?

Quote:
I was quite set on the Axial, just because I had never seen the the TRX 4 sport kit. I was seeing RTR kits but they were way above budget and we wanted to do our own thing. That's why the Axial kit seemed so "worth it". But after finding this, I am seriously considering it.

And after everyone's comments, I think I am sold on the TRX 4.

I definitely see the upsides for a brushless setup, I just don't think they personally outweigh cons for us personally. The cons being price, haha.

We are planning to do that exact combo, except possibly a higher turn motor. Would a 45T Trailmaster be too slow? Again, we're looking for torque but we don't want a max speed of 2 mph or something.

Thanks!

I domt think you need that high of a turn motor. Most people seem to do the 21T or 27T. The thing is you can put a lot of gear reduction in these things between the pinion/spur, transmission, axles, and portals. 60:1 is no big deal.

Last edited by mass-hole; 03-19-2019 at 07:40 PM.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:36 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Father and son build. We're working on it all together when I have time. College is, well, not a lot of fun lol.

That's the last opinion I need, we're going with the TRX 4. Would still love opinions but I can't find a single recent post, here or elsewhere, saying that the Axial is better. And with this kit they're even about the same price.

Thanks!

Gotcha. Thought maybe you were schizophrenic or something. Lol

You won’t regret the Traxxas. It’s a fantastic truck!
rattmobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
I domt think you need that high of a turn motor. Most people seem to do the 21T or 27T. The thing is you can put a lot of gear reduction in these things between the pinion/spur, transmission, axles, and portals. 60:1 is no big deal.
I will look into this for sure, thanks!

Quote:
Gotcha. Thought maybe you were schizophrenic or something. Lol

You won’t regret the Traxxas. It’s a fantastic truck!
I mentioned it in my thread for the SCX10 II I think, but after rereading this thread I don't blame you lol.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:11 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I built the SCX10 ii kit couple months before the Traxxas Sport kit came out. I can tell you if I had known the sport kit was coming out, I would have waited. I end up getting the sport kit anyway. I own the TRX4 Defender for over a year. The sport kit was the first Traxxas kit I have built. I have owned other Traxxas cars, but I think the quality of the material is better with the TRX4. For roughly $80 (most of us had gotten the kit cheaper than the listed $279) you get a body, wheels and tires and accessories. I paid $175 for the SCX10 ii kit. After building the sport kit, I feel I over paid for the SCX10 ii Builders kit.
neospirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:41 AM   #15

Quote:

Thanks!
The TRX-4 Sport Kit is an awesome choice for a first build. And it would be perfect for a father and son build because it's such a high quality kit with a very detailed manual.

Checkout my build thread and you can see some photos of the build and manual: Jato Assembles a TRX-4 Sport Unassembled Kit
Old 03-20-2019, 06:42 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I've sold all my SCX10's, V1 and V2 and now have 3 TRX-4's. Take it for what you will.

I'm not going to badmouth the SCX10 though, the V2 is a great performing truck. I've had them for so many years though I was itching for something different. I'm enjoying tinkering with a new platform.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:55 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I have owned 4 Axial's at diff times, still have the Blazer but trying to sell it. I now have a trx4 Bronco and it is a amazing truck. will crawl anywhere a Axial will. I just bought a sport kit last week and built it over the weekend. I have built many race buggy and touring car kits and will say this traxxas kit is as good as anything except maybe a Xray or Yokomo kit. It is the BEST crawling truck I have ever had. going to get the trx Blazer as soon as my Axial Blazer sells.
sgtlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by neospirit View Post
I built the SCX10 ii kit couple months before the Traxxas Sport kit came out. I can tell you if I had known the sport kit was coming out, I would have waited. I end up getting the sport kit anyway. I own the TRX4 Defender for over a year. The sport kit was the first Traxxas kit I have built. I have owned other Traxxas cars, but I think the quality of the material is better with the TRX4. For roughly $80 (most of us had gotten the kit cheaper than the listed $279) you get a body, wheels and tires and accessories. I paid $175 for the SCX10 ii kit. After building the sport kit, I feel I over paid for the SCX10 ii Builders kit.
Thanks for the info!

Yeah it seems most people got it from eBay with the 15% off coupon. Wish I was looking then, saving $30 would have been awesome lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The TRX-4 Sport Kit is an awesome choice for a first build. And it would be perfect for a father and son build because it's such a high quality kit with a very detailed manual.

Checkout my build thread and you can see some photos of the build and manual: Jato Assembles a TRX-4 Sport Unassembled Kit
I have been looking through your build since I first started looking at these!

Thanks for the info too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I've sold all my SCX10's, V1 and V2 and now have 3 TRX-4's. Take it for what you will.

I'm not going to badmouth the SCX10 though, the V2 is a great performing truck. I've had them for so many years though I was itching for something different. I'm enjoying tinkering with a new platform.
Just another person that is further confirming my choice.. I am really glad I didn't checkout with that Axial..

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlt View Post
I have owned 4 Axial's at diff times, still have the Blazer but trying to sell it. I now have a trx4 Bronco and it is a amazing truck. will crawl anywhere a Axial will. I just bought a sport kit last week and built it over the weekend. I have built many race buggy and touring car kits and will say this traxxas kit is as good as anything except maybe a Xray or Yokomo kit. It is the BEST crawling truck I have ever had. going to get the trx Blazer as soon as my Axial Blazer sells.
Thanks for the info!!
Old 03-20-2019, 07:28 AM   #19

Thanks for checking out my thread!

The SCX10 II isn't a bad truck. It's just made from horrible materials and that's why so many people upgrade most of the parts on the truck. Now that Horizon owns Axial I expect them to eventually turn this truck around and give it the quality it deserves. I also expect them to give it some design updates sooner rather than later. But both of those are assumptions on my part. Until either of those things occur the TRX-4 is the truck to have IMO and in the opinion of many others at this point.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Anyway....

They are Venom

SlagMan is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX 4 Sport Kit vs Axial SCX10 II? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jato Assembles a TRX-4 Sport Unassembled Kit JatoTheRipper Traxxas TRX-4 268 01-24-2020 03:32 PM
MG's TRX-4 Sport kit build/mods MentalGuru Traxxas TRX-4 10 04-25-2019 06:51 AM
TRX-4 Sport Assembly Kit! nedmo General Scale Talk 22 03-02-2019 06:52 AM
TRX-4 sport/Bronco kit BrianP Traxxas TRX-4 19 10-27-2018 07:31 AM
Traxxas trx 4 sport vs redcat gen 7 sport part 2! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 08-03-2018 06:31 AM