Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: OS's TRX4 Sport Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2019, 08:47 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: OS's TRX4 Sport Kit

Been busy with the holidays, but still getting in some wrenching here and there. I picked up another Sport and wanted to change around some of the upgrades I had on the trucks. Plus, this truck has been run pretty hard this summer, it was definitely ready for a going over.

Switching over to a Bronco means less time getting the heck beat out of it on the rocks and more time on the trail. I pieced together a diff locker from some parts I picked up on Ebay and some spares I had laying around. I am going to keep the front spool, but wanted to be able to unlock the rear - comes in very handy.

Tore down the rear axle, did all the same bearing tricks I did for the other sport and got it spinning super free...plan on doing this to all 3 trucks eventually. Rebuilt with an aluminum axle housing, standard gears and SSD portal weights. I didn't want any brass showing on the Bronco, the SSD's are perfect.

Waiting on an OD gear in the mail before buttoning up the front axle. Also have a wrap here for the body that should set it apart from all the other black broncos as well as a cheap lighting kit en route.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2020, 06:05 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

OD gear arrived and installed, now all back together and looking sharp! Current set up is OD/Spool up front and Std Gear/Diff out back.

Can't stand the shiny body behind the grill. I did my old Bronco body's grill with a bunch of zip ties and glue...looked good, but a PITA. This time, just slapped on some black duck tape and called it good. It's a pretty decent solution - quick and easy! Also drilled out a few more holes for the light kit.

Went with a Powershift light kit this time and it came with warm LED's for the headlights, and printed headlight buckets. Frankly, they look fantastic! Much simpler than the MyTrick kit... I dig it. I should have painted the turn signals amber...I may get back to it eventually.

Tried out a wrap and I think it came out great! Didn't want the same colors every other Bronco has and wanted something aggressive looking. I think this will do...

Mocked up with wheels and tires... Just about ready for the trail! Just waiting on hexes and need to finalize the body/bumper mounts, sliders, etc.

Last edited by OSRC; 01-08-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:49 AM   #83

Been following this thread, as I’m new to th hobby and picked up a sport. I’ve been looking for a way to lower the truck a bit but have yet to find a simple solution. Loving your sports. Fantastic job!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trx4_bama_sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:19 AM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Thank you sir, replied in your thread.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:12 AM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Done, the Sport is ready to go! I think it came our killer..... can't wait to get it out on the trail. Should have plugged the lights in for the pic, but oh well..

Old 01-15-2020, 01:15 PM   #86
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Done, the Sport is ready to go! I think it came our killer..... can't wait to get it out on the trail. Should have plugged the lights in for the pic, but oh well..

I am sure it will crawl as good as it looks. Amazing!
Daycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:39 AM   #87
Quarry Creeper

Very cool. Love to see it on the trail.
Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:12 AM   #88
Pebble Pounder

AWESOME Build!! The wheel, tire and body combo work so well. Great work!
ProjektONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:42 AM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Thanks. I am SO ready for spring... No snow here at all, just a cool raw rainy winter so far. Definitely not tiny truck weather.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:16 AM   #90
Rock Stacker

I love that paint scheme! That truck looks so fresh. Pity to see it get dirty!
Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:32 AM   #91
Slow is the new Fast

It's a good looking wrap OS! Sits well over the gloss black.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:09 AM   #92
Go Buckeyes!

That is a cool looking wrap!

It definitely sets it apart from the other Bronco's out there!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:57 AM   #93

Quote:
Thanks. I am SO ready for spring... No snow here at all, just a cool raw rainy winter so far. Definitely not tiny truck weather.
I've so been Jonesing to get out on the trails!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:24 AM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Another sun filled warm winter day here in PA. We haven't had any measurable snow yet in my area, and since it's almost March we're probably not going to. So that means a wet, warm spring! Got a head start this weekend by blowing some dust off the RC's and going out and getting a trail run in... I met up with Jato and his Repentant Origin and gave the newly converted Sport a workout.

As always, we started out on our test rock...now heavily tagged with grafitti. Wasn't that way when we first started coming here. Really pisses me off.

We were both running BL systems - I believe he had a Castle/ROC combo, and I was running an older Novak Goat 3S/13.5 system. The goat does extremely well - especially for it's age. It was very comparable to what Jato was running imo. Having said that, I'be been spoiled by brushed - especially the new 5 slot motors - for their smoothness. I'm not sure this system will be in here much longer.

Compared to my previous Bronco, this body not as scale. Only so much you can do with black imo. I love the look, but it's missing a lot of the detail the older one had. Therefore I had no issues banging around on the rocks all day. It far outperformed my old Bronco - since it was a Sport previously, and a well dialed one at that, it was set up for performance and perform it did - even with the larger bumpers and longer overhangs. Very surefooted and stable no matter where I ran it.

We're lucky to have such a cool place to run somewhat nearby. Our location is a former granite mine, and this is the old rail spur that used to serve it. The rails are long gone, though the bed remains - at least most of it. Nature is reclaiming it in spots. This used to be mostly overflow on heavy rains, but seems nature has cut in a new stream here permanently. Beautiful scenery once you get back in the woods where the hippies are too lazy to walk with their spray cans - I never get tired of coming here.

Still some ice in spots...it was 28 or so when we started, though it was in the 40's by now. I tried to crawl across...

But the Bronco is heavy...cracked and fell through the ice in a very satisfactory manner. i don't think the pic does it justice.

Great day of wheeling, and very happy with the Bronco... definitely ready for spring!
Old 02-25-2020, 09:17 AM   #95

Fun day. This old, out of shape man is sore.

Here's my contribution. A shot before the Bronco broke the ice.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:09 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

That reminds me, I need to trim the back of the body so it stops getting hung up on the bumper constantly! That was driving me crazy!
Old 02-26-2020, 12:58 AM   #97

Quote:
That reminds me, I need to trim the back of the body so it stops getting hung up on the bumper constantly! That was driving me crazy!
Awesome built my friend. I have to admit that i had a lot of inspiration from you and Jato in building up my new sport. Thank you for taking the time to share.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
panmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:24 AM   #98

Quote:
Didn't even notice it on the trail. It was only when I posted this photo that I saw it. I get it...it would drive me nuts if it was my truck that was doing it!

I didn't even bring my Bronco out because the body doesn't fit right with the aluminum headlight buckets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panmike View Post
Awesome built my friend. I have to admit that i had a lot of inspiration from you and Jato in building up my new sport. Thank you for taking the time to share.
Thank you for the kind words!
Old 06-05-2020, 02:44 PM   #99

Quote:
Final weight with battery comes in at 3163g (6.97 lbs) with a 51/49% front weight bias. Kinda surprised at that, figured with all that weight out back on the cage it would be rear heavy, but apparently not.

Gotta give props to Traxxas... I picked up this kit for $254 shipped. Metal gears all around, metal servo horn, metal links and pivots, excellent shocks, a decent (if unlicensed) body with light buckets and a ton of scale details. Very solid when built... I'm no Traxxas fanboy, but frankly, it's a tough deal to beat. Can't wait to get it dirty!
Nice build! Did you paint the grill silver yourself? I've only seen them in black. Also, did you have to do any cutting on the body to get the fender flares attached?
RC Newbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:12 AM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Yes, just painted with some Testors silver. The flares are the molded in flares on the body, I didn't add a thing.

OS's TRX4 Sport Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 speed conversion kit/activating servo in my trx4 sport ShotCrawler Traxxas Crawlers 3 08-31-2021 05:11 PM
OS's TRX4 #2 - Bronco OSRC Traxxas TRX-4 59 08-08-2019 09:21 AM
TRX4 Sport kit svt923 Traxxas TRX-4 265 06-27-2019 04:16 PM
Trx4 bronco with Sport body and traxxas lift kit Exiwolfman Traxxas TRX-4 0 10-13-2018 02:20 PM
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM