Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Does adding brass affect the Hill Hold Brake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Does adding brass affect the Hill Hold Brake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncoiler View Post
Alrighty, thanks everybody for their input, it’s much appreciated.

It warmed up some today so I did some more testing after work which included a calibration of the ESC. It’s funny because when I read the manual I thought I’m bound to screw this up. Then I see the video in the link above on how to do it, and it’s really very simple. LOL Gotta love You-Tube.

Anyway the calibration didn’t make any diference but at least it elliminated that possabilty. I now feel the truck is fine and that the hill hold works good until I get all 4 wheels on an incline pushing 30 degress and thats about it’s limit in stock form. At that point it will slowly roll back on it’s own. It’s just that i have seen vids of other TRX4’s with a hold on a steeper incline, but how do I know they aren’t running a Hobbywing 1080 WP.

So quick question about the HW 1080, again this is all new to me. I have installed the Traxxas Bronco lights package (both rock and body lights), also the Amazon 225K? steering servo, and traxxas BEC. Is installing and programming the 1080 fairly straight forward and compatible with these other componants I have, or is it potentially opening a can of worms?
Can't really comment on the 1080 configuration stuff as I run the stock ESC but it's entirely possible that the trucks you're seeing are running different ESCs. Lots of people swap them out. Gotta stress though that first gear is going to be your strongest hold, I get a pretty pathetic hold in second.

I also noticed a little bit stronger hill hold when I got rid of my Titan (well, it got rid of itself by blowing up) and got the HH Trailmaster Sport 550 21T in there. No doubt though with the 1080 you can dial it from 0-9 strength so it should be a big improvement.
jessedacri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #22
RCC Addict

The HW Quicrun WP1080 will work with your current servo and the 2262 BEC. The 1080 comes equipped with an XT60 battery plug and presumably you are still running the Traxxas battery connector so you will need an adapter to go from the Traxxas to the XT60 and that adapter will also need a JST tap to power your BEC. You will also need to solder on a pair of 4mm plugs for the motor leads. Once installed there is a simple calibration proceedure for the new ESC and then you can set up the 1080 with the included programming card. Once you have everything set you will find the WP1080 is a much better ESC than the stock XL5.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:28 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Can we back up for a minute? What's your gearing? If you run lower gearing, your drag brake will hold better as the motor will have more mechanical advantage over the wheels. Of course, that means that higher gearing won't hold as well. If you can afford to lose a bit of top speed, I'd drop your gearing down a bit and see if you get the braking/holding power you're looking for.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Something doesnt sound right to me. The stock ESC can handle a few more lbs for sure. I would wonder about MODC 12lb rig. But a couple pounds on a TRX4 sounds like nothing. Im willing to bet your ESC is going out. The traxxas ones all seem to do odd things before they go out in my experience. Id try to reprogram. If that doesn't help. The solution is below. Good luck!

Here is a how to video.
https://traxxas.com/support/Programm...-Speed-Control

If that doesnt work, I would highly recommend you obtain a hobbywing 1080WP.

You get a programmer that makes everything SO much easier and it has so many settings you can change. It makes a HUGE difference.

https://www.amazon.com/Hobbywing-Ele.../dp/B01MQGUS38

It is SO worth the money.
I just saw this now.. sorry...I'm not running stock electronics....mamba x with a HH 1800 revolver and spektrum rx/tx.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
MODC is offline   Reply With Quote

Does adding brass affect the Hill Hold Brake? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VP Portals: Adding brass bergie402 Newbie General 4 03-09-2019 05:58 PM
Brake/Rotor brass weights crazydave Vaterra Ascender 29 10-29-2015 10:03 AM
Adding a drag brake circuit? mocnyang Electronics 2 04-21-2011 05:24 PM
Mongoose drag/hold brake RickM Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 06-08-2010 08:14 AM