Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: UD/OD gears worth the $$$?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2019, 08:32 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Question UD/OD gears worth the $$$?

As far as crawling capabilities. Are UD/OD Gears worth the $80? I mostly crawl my Trx not very much trailing. I like to push my rig and crawl the most challenging lines I can find. Other then these and the new GRC chubs and knuckles. I think I have my rig upgraded out for how I like to run it. I've been thinking about going to ud/od for awhile, but having a hard time ponying up the cash for them. Any comparison videos around you guys know of? What's your thoughts on ud/od? Thanks for any help and advice!!!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2019, 08:38 AM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: UD/OD gears worth the $$$?

It’s one of my favorite modifications so far. Some people don’t like how it changes the truck’s behavior at speed but I don’t mind, and only drive it in high gear when I’m going all Miami Vice on the way to back the lot from the trail.

Perhaps start with one or the other (maybe U/D rear first so you don’t pick up top speed) and see how you like it. It will make a difference on inclines. I have both, no regerts.

Plus, once you spend that $80 you can either keep two spare ring and pinion gears around, or sling the stockers and get maybe half your doll hairs back.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #3

For climbing - without a doubt yes.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Same for me! I put the ud's in first and love 'em. They definitely help the front end steer better and help resist wheelies and rollovers climbing, as the front tries to pull over the top without the rear trying to lift the nose. I just got od's for the front, but I haven't put 'em in yet. My buddy just got 'em for both his rigs too. I recommend at least one axle, but you'll probably decide to go for both like I did.

jim
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
RCC Addict

So you use lockers? If yes then i would say yes it improves crawling. If no, locking only the front works similiar to ud/od. The rear don't push the rear axle under the balance point. That's my thoughts, but have only experience with od/ud in little betty my ax10 to compare with my landy.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 XL mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:59 AM   #6

I've been thinking about making this modification as well, but my questions are:

1, How much more does this wear out the tires? I'm running Hyrax in the Predator compound.

2, Is this harder on the drivetrain? Does the extra speed up front basically amount to the front axle dragging the back end along?

3, Does the truck drive ok at full speed or does it end up skipping along awkwardly?

Thanks for any insight!
WiscoBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:05 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I have OD front and stock rear in my sport and it climbs much better than my Bronco. Not having any issues with driving at speed or the truck steering funny. I also have it geared low with a 9t pinion and the 45t spur gears. Going to go ahead and try the UD in the rear soon
sgtlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:48 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoBuckeye View Post
I've been thinking about making this modification as well, but my questions are:

1, How much more does this wear out the tires? I'm running Hyrax in the Predator compound.

2, Is this harder on the drivetrain? Does the extra speed up front basically amount to the front axle dragging the back end along?

3, Does the truck drive ok at full speed or does it end up skipping along awkwardly?

Thanks for any insight!
It comes down to traction.
1. The front tires will "scrub" or slip more, so on a high-traction surface, the tires will wear a bit faster.
2. High-traction surfaces also put more strain on the drive-train. Usually the front loses traction first, especially accelerating, climbing or crawlin', but the gearing imbalance helps the front end "try harder" and helps it steer and climb better. But the rear end kinda sets the pace.
and 3. Again it comes down to traction. In grass or dirt, you get the same effect, but say, on a sidewalk or street it may drive a little "squirrely" because the front tires ARE trying to outrun the rear.

SO ... if you plan to rock crawl and run in the "loose", they're a plus. If you drive a lot on concrete or asphalt, you may not want 'em.

Hope this helps.

jim
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:26 PM   #9

That's SUPER helpful, thanks so much Dr!
WiscoBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:43 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I have UD and OD and its not squirly at all at any speed, not sure why that even matters but there it is.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:13 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

OK, I bought these gears so I can do this mod to my Sport kit too but I can't ever seem to remember which gears go where. So is it OD the front and UD the rear or vice versa?

I think I'm going to tattoo this on my arm or something so I never forget again.
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:20 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTom View Post
OK, I bought these gears so I can do this mod to my Sport kit too but I can't ever seem to remember which gears go where. So is it OD the front and UD the rear or vice versa?

I think I'm going to tattoo this on my arm or something so I never forget again.

LMAO!! OD front UD rear.

Thanks for all your input guys! Definitely gonna do this to my rigs once I get the extra cash.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote

UD/OD gears worth the $$$? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what brand spur gears worth with scx10 tranny? jebster General Crawlers 6 12-13-2012 03:17 PM
trans gears....worth upgrading or leave alone? y2kgtp Team Losi Comp Crawler 8 01-18-2010 11:40 AM
Are aluminum gears worth it? Skeeno Tamiya Clod Buster 15 04-14-2006 01:04 AM