Notices

Thread: Soze rejoices the Traxxas TRX4 Sport Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2019, 11:58 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Soze rejoices the Traxxas TRX4 Sport Kit

These wheels might work?

1.9" Alloy Beadlock Wheels (ebay)

Last edited by soze; 01-07-2020 at 11:54 PM.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2019, 03:46 AM   #42
Gold Star Baby!

Looks great! Always wondered how that brilliant blue comes out. I dig the gun metal striping too. Those wheels look right at home.

Great read.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:38 AM   #43

Excellent build guide for me and others getting into RCs. I liked the way you set up the first post with tools and other items you would be using through the build.
cpl666k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:23 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
Looks great! Always wondered how that brilliant blue comes out. I dig the gun metal striping too. Those wheels look right at home.

Great read.
It's a great color. I originally bought it for my CR01 Bronco as it was the color used in the instructions. (Still haven't built it yet, all those screws requiring threadlock deterred me for now) Anyway, I liked the color so much that I used it on my GOM, SCX10.2 XJ, and now the TRX4 Sport. Planning to make one of my Tamiya Porsche 40th anniversary kits this color as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpl666k9 View Post
Excellent build guide for me and others getting into RCs. I liked the way you set up the first post with tools and other items you would be using through the build.
Thanks! I do it for my own sake as well. Helps me remember what the heck I did.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #45
RCC Addict

Great thread as always, soze! Man, leave for three months and miss all kinds of stuff...this one is next on the gotta have list for sure.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:02 AM   #46
Go Buckeyes!

Great build thread Soze. Body turned out great. Gun metal stripes add a nice touch.

I just watched your latest build video on the Tube. I enjoyed watching and can't wait to see pics/videos if it out on the rocks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
These wheels might work?

i literally just ordered those same wheels for my build! I'm gonna have to paint it another color now.... haha
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:56 AM   #48

Hah! I had been watching your YouTube videos of this build to get ready for the Sport Kit I have coming. Great to see it all in one comprehensive thread. Thanks for all the work you put into it!

FWIW I think the wheels look great and really pop next to that blue
tinytrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:01 AM   #49

Cant find the kit anywhere and amazon states that they do not know when they will ever be available. In the past, I have only seen that amazon message for items that were discontinued.
Am I missing something? Anyone know where to get one at the normal price? Thanks
macrosslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #50
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrosslife View Post
Cant find the kit anywhere and amazon states that they do not know when they will ever be available. In the past, I have only seen that amazon message for items that were discontinued.
Am I missing something? Anyone know where to get one at the normal price? Thanks

Seems the original run of them sold out - they were getting hard to find a few weeks ago when I bought mine. You might contact Traxxas directly, or even RPP since they stay current, for an estimated release date on the next run.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:10 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The initial run sold out quick I think. Most of the online stores have probably already sold out. You might get lucky at a local hobby shop?

BTW... Macross rocks! I used to be an active member at Macrossworld forums eons ago.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:38 PM   #52

Thats awesome! ....Raced my bike home from school as a kid to see the next ep of Robotech on tv...
I think the trx4 sp kit sales exceeded expectations...price-point is undervalued, too....Hopefully doesent increase in price or change the kit significantly..
Ill wait for the next batch...and cross my fingers that it doesent change
macrosslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:39 AM   #53
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Thats awesome! ....Raced my bike home from school as a kid to see the next ep of Robotech on tv...

I think the trx4 sp kit sales exceeded expectations...price-point is undervalued, too....Hopefully doesent increase in price or change the kit significantly..

Ill wait for the next batch...and cross my fingers that it doesent change

The 15% off eBay coupon on the first or second week of release really helped sales too. Many of us got one then for $230 shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SlagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:23 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

I'm really slacking on updates with this truck as I've probably got too much going on at once, and work has picked up pace since I got stuck on a new project.

Here's a video of my hill climb with the TRX4 Sport last month. I was disappointed with how it did though. I think there were multiple factors for it though.

1. It had just rained, so the terrain might have been a little "off"
2. I was in a rush, because I had to be somewhere shortly afterwards.
3. I was running stock tires un-siped with stock foams. They just weren't grabbing that day.
4. I didn't do any of the free performance mods.
5. That rear cage looks great, but definitely affects performance.

Last edited by soze; 06-21-2019 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:28 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

So ever since I started putting on inner fenders on my trucks, I can't go without them anymore. It just looks so bare without them and irritates me.

So I went out and got the Traxxas 8080 Narrow inner fender kit (ebay).

This is what comes in the package

All installed

I like the integrated shock mounting positions. I set mine on the 2nd hole

I like the little integrated tray in the front.

It fits my HobbyStar 3S 3700mah LiPo (ebay)

And of course I forgot to take pictures of it with the body on. Anyway the fenders don't completely fill out the fender wells of the body. Traxxas does sell fender extensions, but I'd probably just use some kind of weather stripping or something similar instead.

Last edited by soze; 06-20-2019 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:08 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

So like many have said... the stock gearing is too fast. Especially when I have that 550 21T can in there. I wanted to have more low speed control and slow it down a little without swapping the motor yet.

I picked up the Traxxas 45T Spur and the Slipper Clutch Rebuild kit for the slipper pads and a Robinson Racing 12T 32p pinion off of ebay.

I also picked up an aluminum motor mount off of ebay.

Here's the old 39T spur going out

Here's the new 45T spur going in

Check out the new aluminum motor mount. Fit and finish is pretty good!

Checking the gear mesh

All buttoned up.

This motor mount is really rigid and there is going to be no problems with gear mesh from flex of the motor mount anytime soon. I like it.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:07 AM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
So ever since I started putting on inner fenders on my trucks, I can't go without them anymore. It just looks so bare without them and irritates me.

So I went out and got the Traxxas 8080 Narrow inner fender kit (ebay).
And of course I forgot to take pictures of it with the body on. Anyway the fenders don't completely fill out the fender wells of the body. Traxxas does sell fender extensions, but I'd probably just use some kind of weather stripping or something similar instead.
I actually went with the wide inner fender kit. I had to trim just a tad off each corner, but other than that the fit was nice. I'll try to take some pics this afternoon.
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:53 AM   #58
RCC Addict

Just did the same gearing and power Soze. Traded out the 540 Crawlmaster Expert 16 to the 550-can Trailmaster in 21T. Cannot tell the difference other than the 550-can is a little more punchy.

I didn't have the forethought to order in the rebuild kit for the slipper, didn't realize they even had that pack - very cool. One would think the guys at Ultimate would mention those pads when I asked for the gears, no? LOL
So I cut the old slipper pads off the spur with a #11 and put them in the new one. There was enough adhesive left to keep them in place and once assembled they're locked in anyway. Success!

I had a 10t pinion on hand so installed that, also tried a 15 I bought - the latter I thought was still a little too fast especially on 3S. I really want to go back to my compact hi-volt packs I have from my Vaterras - they're great packs. And I have a max-size 5Kmah for super long run times.
The 10T is really good, but for overall I think the 12 is going to be ideal. I'll likely source one just to confirm. Definitely the lower gearing is appealing for rock crawling. In combo with the HW1080 and the Trailmaster motor it's really super smooth and controllable - you can just walk it up over obstacles. Me like.
I'm going to be putting my KM3 prolines on that rig, go back to the tsl's on my vaterra comp rig. These predator tires are the best I've used to date.

Truck looks good!
What are the 'free performance mods' you mentioned?
Old 06-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post

Truck looks good!
What are the 'free performance mods' you mentioned?
I don't think they're applicable to yours since you're not running the stock bumpers and tires.

Basically, I was going to try siping the canyon trails, possibly do the bumper mount flip on both ends, remove the trailer hitch, and raise the rock sliders.

I'm not sure yet though. I might just keep it as is, and use a different body when I go on rocks.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #60
RCC Addict

My FJ40 body is ready to go, needs paint. Rear bumper is stock, flipped the mount, and front too with a SSD straight bumper.
The rear in particular hangs low. So yeah, I think that hitch needs to go.

Soze rejoices the Traxxas TRX4 Sport Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 Sport kit svt923 Traxxas TRX-4 265 06-27-2019 04:16 PM
Traxxas TRx4 sport bashing F.i.M.S presents Rc. Videos! 0 01-13-2019 07:31 PM
Trx4 bronco with Sport body and traxxas lift kit Exiwolfman Traxxas TRX-4 0 10-13-2018 02:20 PM
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM