Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Possible to extend TRX-4 wheelbase only in the front?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2020, 07:21 AM   #1

Default Possible to extend TRX-4 wheelbase only in the front?

Hi everybody, new guy here...

...and obviously with a noob question:

I'm currently fitting a PL Power Wagon body onto my TRX-4 Sport and I wanted to ask if it's possible to extend the wheelbase just in the front? It wouldn't be much I guess, but in my case I will have a front bumper mount with a winch servo mount included (will be sitting upright directly in the very front) and therefore I have to fit the PW cab flush with the bumper mount in order that my winch servo fits below. And there will be a short stinger bumper even in front of that. But when I do that, the front axle is situated just a tad too much back for my taste. I'd like that the tires are a bit protruding the grille of the Power Wagon for maximum approach angle and a bit more aggressive look.

Would that be possible and if so, could someone be so kind and tell me how to do that? I'd say just about 5-10 mm is enough.

Cheers,

Mike
Gecko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Possible to extend TRX-4 wheelbase only in the front?

You should be able to add jato rod-ends to the front links which should bump it just enough. The driveshaft may need to be lengthened as well.
nismotuningrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:08 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Adjusting the wheelbase up front has the potential to mess up the steering geometry but 5mm-10mm might not be enough to throw off so much that its a problem. If it can be done from the rear thats always the best practice.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Adjusting the wheelbase up front has the potential to mess up the steering geometry but 5mm-10mm might not be enough to throw off so much that its a problem. If it can be done from the rear thats always the best practice.
+1
Rinanode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #5
Gold Star Baby!

May be worth working on the front bumper mount to see if you can remove some material to scoot the bumper in a little bit.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:46 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
May be worth working on the front bumper mount to see if you can remove some material to scoot the bumper in a little bit.

yeah post up some pictures of what you're working with
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:51 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Now you got me looking at maybe trying it on my Trx. Gonna see if the LHS has jato ends tomorrow. Just putting them on one end of the links would push my axle forward 6mm. Which would put my tires about 5mm behind my bumper. I don't think 6mm is going to hurt my steering much. It's worth a shot.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:07 PM   #8

Hi!

Thanks a lot for your replies and recommendations!

I'm glad to hear that it is basically possible to extend it... ok, by a rather small amount but possible. I personally woudn't need a lot gladly.

Here are some pics, maybe you see now what I meant with the "not optimal" proportions when it comes to the front axle:

Here's a picture from the web to show you whats planned with the front bumper and the servo mount. This solution didn't give me much space with the position of the body unfortunately:

Here some more photos of my build:

please excuse that I didn't clean the body for the pics ;) ...it's my very first try to fit a lexan body on a RC car.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:59 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

You can use the two bolts on either side of the end of the frame. Make an L bracket. Bolt the bumper to the bracket. This would allow the bumper to be flush with the front. You could also angle the brackets forward to give a nice angled front bumper for steep climbing. The height or length of the brackets would give you options of the exact bumper height you want.
Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:05 AM   #10
RCC Addict

After looking some more at my rig. Pushing the front axle forward is not going to work on my rig. At full compression full turn my tires are touching my front bumper a bit. So if you were going to try to push the axle forward you are going to have to make sure you stay with a Bumper that is not very much wider than the frame rails. Good luck! I'll be watching this thread.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:06 AM   #11
RCC Addict

This is where mine sits now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2020, 05:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
After looking some more at my rig. Pushing the front axle forward is not going to work on my rig. At full compression full turn my tires are touching my front bumper a bit. So if you were going to try to push the axle forward you are going to have to make sure you stay with a Bumper that is not very much wider than the frame rails. Good luck! I'll be watching this thread.

That's not good, but I see that you have Method like wheels, so you could just use a wider SLW hub to get more distance to the bumper. Of course if you want to have a wider overall front axle... which isn't bad at all in many cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
This is where mine sits now
Hi! So you just added the Jato Rod-Ends? Or did you have to extend the drive shaft, too?

Cheers
Old 07-17-2020, 05:51 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko23 View Post
That's not good, but I see that you have Method like wheels, so you could just use a wider SLW hub to get more distance to the bumper. Of course if you want to have a wider overall front axle... which isn't bad at all in many cases.

Hi! So you just added the Jato Rod-Ends? Or did you have to extend the drive shaft, too?

Cheers

Those are SSD D-hole wheels with .425 slw hubs. Don't think I would go any wider. I didn't try the jato ends. That's all stock front links and rod ends. If I added the jato ends I would really be getting into my bumper. I'm pretty sure the driveshaft would be fine if you only went with the jato ends on one side of the links. That would only push the axle fwd 6-7mm
Old 07-18-2020, 10:37 AM   #14

OK, did get me some Jato rod-ends and applied them only on one side of the links and the axle connector rod. Unfortunately there was some adjusting and a little grinding needed, because otherwise the steering-link would have rubbed against parts of the axle.

I think now it looks a bit better and the tires are protruding the grille just a bit.

Thanks again for the awesome tipps!

Possible to extend TRX-4 wheelbase only in the front? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
extend the wheelbase by 5mm Cjlives Tamiya XC/CC01 4 03-17-2011 05:52 PM
Whats needed to extend the wheelbase? PontiacGT201 Axial SCX-10 3 09-19-2010 11:45 PM
How much do the long lower links extend the wheelbase? Davenow Axial SCX-10 6 10-17-2009 01:32 AM
how do I extend wheelbase? Flatty Tamiya Clod Buster 5 09-02-2005 07:52 PM