RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   Calling all Traxxas TQi Link experts (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/607808-calling-all-traxxas-tqi-link-experts.html)

TooOldForThis 04-08-2019 06:08 PM

Calling all Traxxas TQi Link experts

I got the Traxxas bluetooth Link module for the TQi radio and I'm having a strange problem. I got everything dialed in just right when the transmitter is connected to the app, but I haven't been able to retain all of those settings in the transmitter when not connected. Specifically, when I turn the transmitter/receiver off and back on, my steering endpoints are gone until I get my phone out and reconnect to the app. Then the endpoints are instantly back, without even loading a profile or doing anything else.

I've tried saving the profile and then loading it before disconnecting, but the same thing still happens. Maybe the endpoints aren't meant to be retained without connection to the app, but that would be strange because most of the other settings like steering sub-trim are retained.

Any thoughts? Am I missing something? I was able to stump Traxxas tech support with this over the phone. If they get back to me with an answer I'll update here.

TooOldForThis 04-09-2019 08:52 AM

Re: Calling all Traxxas TQi Link experts

Poking around in the app I found this "override transmitter settings" option, which was/is turned on. So apparently what happens is the app connects to the transmitter and then the transmitter's settings are overridden and I get my steering endpoints back. But why don't those endpoint settings stay saved in the transmitter after it's turned off? Everything I've read suggests the transmitter should automatically keep all the settings from the app. :cry:

https://i.ibb.co/KXGN1WN/IMG-6544.png

calcagno45 04-09-2019 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooOldForThis (Post 5926089)
... Everything I've read suggests the transmitter should automatically keep all the settings from the app. :cry:

This is how mine has always worked. I use the App to setup everything and then may not open the app for some time but the transmitter retains all settings.

Make sure to be properly selecting the vehicle you want. I believe you have to turn on the vehicle first so the receiver is powered up and then the transmitter.

HumboldtEF 04-09-2019 10:48 AM

do the TX and vehicle icons turn green when connected?

JatoTheRipper 04-09-2019 12:29 PM

I hate to ask the dumb questions, but...

1. Have you tried re-binding the receiver?
2. Is the receiver updated to the latest firmware?
3. Do you have another TQi receiver to try?

TooOldForThis 04-09-2019 12:48 PM

Wow. I can hold the transmitter wheel hard right and the servo will overtravel and flex all the plastics, and then if I open the app while I'm holding it there the servo will snap back to the correct endpoint as soon as the bluetooth connection is made.

Incredibly frustrating. I spent (wasted?) the money on this Link module specifically to make these adjustments easier, and because I need to keep the stock radio in this truck. I might be speaking too soon but it looks like Traxxas tech support is gonna leave me hanging.

Help!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by calcagno45 (Post 5926107)
I believe you have to turn on the vehicle first so the receiver is powered up and then the transmitter.

I've tried it both ways now, no difference. But thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumboldtEF (Post 5926121)
do the TX and vehicle icons turn green when connected?

Yep, I took that screenshot when they were disconnected.

TooOldForThis 04-09-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5926150)
I hate to ask the dumb questions, but...

1. Have you tried re-binding the receiver?
2. Is the receiver updated to the latest firmware?
3. Do you have another TQi receiver to try?

1. Yes
2. Yes, the app gave me no choice
3. Nope

Keep the dumb questions coming though :ror:

Never thought I'd see the day when working on an R/C is like struggling with tech support for a computer. Ugh.

niggemannb 04-09-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooOldForThis (Post 5925974)
I got the Traxxas bluetooth Link module for the TQi radio and I'm having a strange problem. I got everything dialed in just right when the transmitter is connected to the app, but I haven't been able to retain all of those settings in the transmitter when not connected. Specifically, when I turn the transmitter/receiver off and back on, my steering endpoints are gone until I get my phone out and reconnect to the app. Then the endpoints are instantly back, without even loading a profile or doing anything else.

I've tried saving the profile and then loading it before disconnecting, but the same thing still happens. Maybe the endpoints aren't meant to be retained without connection to the app, but that would be strange because most of the other settings like steering sub-trim are retained.

Any thoughts? Am I missing something? I was able to stump Traxxas tech support with this over the phone. If they get back to me with an answer I'll update here.

I have the same problem as you, but for me, if I turn on the transmitter immediately before turning on the truck, it goes away. If there is more than a couple seconds between turning on the transmitter and truck, then it doesn't retain the app settings without having my phone on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TooOldForThis 04-10-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niggemannb (Post 5926171)
I have the same problem as you, but for me, if I turn on the transmitter immediately before turning on the truck, it goes away. If there is more than a couple seconds between turning on the transmitter and truck, then it doesn't retain the app settings without having my phone on.

Interesting. I tried this but no luck. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Traxxas tech support called me back with some ideas to try, none of which worked but at least they got back to me. Based on what they were telling me to try and what I've read online, I came up with the following list of steps to hopefully reset everything to the fullest extent possible. Some of this is redundant but I'm trying to really cover all the bases before I give up.

1. Delete all settings in app and uninstall app from phone.
2. Remove Link module from transmitter.
3. Do the procedure to reset transmitter to factory default settings.
4. Re-bind transmitter to receiver.
5. Reinstall app on phone.
6. Reinstall Link module in transmitter and reconnect to app (with both Tx and Rx turned on).
7. Vehicle Selection in app: choose TRX-4 chassis kit. (It defaulted to TRX-4 Tactical for some reason, which shouldn't make a difference even though it's not the exact model I have.)
8. Delete TRX-4 Tactical from vehicle history in app.
9. Use the app to adjust all the trim settings again.
10. Disconnect from app and then see if the problem persists.

Will report back after I try this.

amigaman 04-10-2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooOldForThis (Post 5926404)
It defaulted to TRX-4 Tactical for some reason

AFAIK the Rx stores the selected model type. Whyever.

I have bought several Rx out of different new models (the sellers didn't want to use TRX systems) and all of them had a model selected in the app.

TooOldForThis 04-11-2019 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooOldForThis (Post 5926404)
1. Delete all settings in app and uninstall app from phone.
2. Remove Link module from transmitter.
3. Do the procedure to reset transmitter to factory default settings.
4. Re-bind transmitter to receiver.
5. Reinstall app on phone.
6. Reinstall Link module in transmitter and reconnect to app (with both Tx and Rx turned on).
7. Vehicle Selection in app: choose TRX-4 chassis kit. (It defaulted to TRX-4 Tactical for some reason, which shouldn't make a difference even though it's not the exact model I have.)
8. Delete TRX-4 Tactical from vehicle history in app.
9. Use the app to adjust all the trim settings again.
10. Disconnect from app and then see if the problem persists.

Will report back after I try this.

Didn't work, no difference.

I actually don't think this is related to the Link app at all. If I stay disconnected from the app and set the endpoints manually on the transmitter using the menu/set buttons, it STILL loses the endpoints if I turn the TX/Rx off and on.

I may call Traxxas tech support one last time but honestly I need to step away because I'm to the point of giving up and selling the truck. Struggling with the same stupid problem every day for a week has a way of sucking all the fun out of a project. I could just connect to the app every time I turn the truck on but that seems like a really lame workaround on a project that was going to cost around $1000 to finish.

JatoTheRipper 04-11-2019 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooOldForThis (Post 5926667)
Didn't work, no difference.

I actually don't think this is related to the Link app at all. If I stay disconnected from the app and set the endpoints manually on the transmitter using the menu/set buttons, it STILL loses the endpoints if I turn the TX/Rx off and on.

I may call Traxxas tech support one last time but honestly I need to step away because I'm to the point of giving up and selling the truck. Struggling with the same stupid problem every day for a week has a way of sucking all the fun out of a project. I could just connect to the app every time I turn the truck on but that seems like a really lame workaround on a project that was going to cost around $1000 to finish.

Express your frustrations to them and request a new transmitter or receiver - whatever one is supposed to store that settings. If you don't get results ask for a manager.

TooOldForThis 04-11-2019 09:50 AM

I called Traxxas again and we tried a few more things and they agreed it sounds like a bad transmitter. They're sending out a replacement. For what it's worth, Traxxas tech support has been good to work with on this. No escalation to management was needed to get the replacement, just a proof of purchase.

I hope it works out because I really don't want to give up on this build!

https://i.ibb.co/LPw4x3n/IMG-6551.jpg

JatoTheRipper 04-11-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooOldForThis (Post 5926717)
I called Traxxas again and we tried a few more things and they agreed it sounds like a bad transmitter. They're sending out a replacement. For what it's worth, Traxxas tech support has been good to work with on this. No escalation to management was needed to get the replacement, just a proof of purchase.

I hope it works out because I really don't want to give up on this build!

Sweet! I'm glad to hear it. Traxxas does have great customer support in my personal experience.

I wouldn't want to see this build die either. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

TooOldForThis 04-19-2019 09:14 AM

Update: the new transmitter came in and the problem persists. At this point I have to assume it's a software bug. Hopefully it will be addressed in a future firmware update. Until then I'll have to connect to the app before every drive. Annoying and inconvenient, but it is what it is.

mrihar 03-04-2022 02:14 PM

its now 2021 and I'm having the exact same problem. The app settings are not applied unless the app is running and connected to the receiver.

Otherwise the TRX4 has really narrow endpoints when I start up without the app. I have no idea where those settings are coming from. I've tried resetting the transmitter to factory defaults but did nothing. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app - no luck. I only have one profile defined in the app. I was going to call Traxxas but based on the OPs description, they don't know what the problem is. Maybe they learned something in 4 years? Maybe I'll try calling.

Thunderdonkey 08-04-2022 02:09 AM

I rebuilt my TRX4 with Traxx, and I installed a Savöx SW-2210SG servo to provide extra steering power. When I tried to set the steering end points on the TQi transmitter, I ran into the same problem. I don't have a Link module, so I set the limits using the buttons. After numerous experiments, I discovered two things:
1. You must not have the steering direction reversed. If you do, the end point setting procedure goes mad and can cause the steering servo to thrash. You have to set it to the default direction before setting end points.
2. Once the end points are set, you can turn off the TX or the RX and the end point settings are retained, but if you turn off both TX and RX, the end point settings are lost. Surprisingly, the steering direction setting is retained.
This has got to be a firmware problem. It is very disappointing that despite reports of the problem since 2019, it has not been fixed. I sent an email to Taxxas support but they just suggested updating the firmware. I asked for the firmware Release Notes to see if they had corrected the problem, but they said that they don't provide those.
Fortunately, I was able to fix my end point problem with some mechanical changes.
Incidentally, my tracked TRX4 has a Hobbywing Fusion combined motor and ESC. The power and battery life are much better than they were with the standard 21t 550R motor.