Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX4 Sport Kit recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #1

Default TRX4 Sport Kit recommendations

Hi Folks,

I’m completely new to this hobby with zero experience with electronics and was wondering if purchasing the TRX4 sport kit as my first ever RC would be too overwhelming? I want to learn the actual mechanics of the vehicle but don’t want to be frustrated with my first building experience. I’m located in Canada and the kit retails for $379 and the RTR goes for $450. On average how much more will I need to spend to get it running, of course minus the battery and charger. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn
GMSYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2019, 05:30 PM   #2

Default Re: TRX4 Sport Kit recommendations

I'm going to say just get the RTR if it is your first ever RC vehicle. I say this because if its your first RC, you'll want some immediate gratification from the hobby to see if you like it or not first. With a kit, you might end up biting off more than you can chew with the seemingly endless component choices, trying to learn about electronics, brushed vs brushless, debating on which components are best for you, etc... Sometimes it's best to get out there and run a stock truck and see if the hobby, as a whole, is for you or not. Then dive into the deep end after checking it out for a bit.

If you already know RC is for you, are willing to learn as you go, and understand that the build may take some time (research, parts gathering, build, & fine tuning), then a kit is a the most economical way to max out your trx-4.

You'll need these parts to complete it (not including charger/battery):
- 540 or 550 sized Motor
- Electronic speed controller
- High torque/metal gear servo
- Radio transmitter and receiver
rschoi_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:08 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Electronics are a mixed bag. You can get in relatively inexpensively, or you can spend more on electronics than you do the rest of the kit. If you're on a budget, I recommend a Hobbywing 1080 ESC and a Holmes Hobbies 550 can motor. The ESC runs about $40 US and the motor runs about $20 US. 25KG servos can be had for $25 US on Amazon or less if you are willing to wait on it to be delivered from China. Flysky makes decent quality budget radios and extra receivers are dirt cheap.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschoi_75 View Post
I'm going to say just get the RTR if it is your first ever RC vehicle. I say this because if its your first RC, you'll want some immediate gratification from the hobby to see if you like it or not first. With a kit, you might end up biting off more than you can chew with the seemingly endless component choices, trying to learn about electronics, brushed vs brushless, debating on which components are best for you, etc... Sometimes it's best to get out there and run a stock truck and see if the hobby, as a whole, is for you or not. Then dive into the deep end after checking it out for a bit.

If you already know RC is for you, are willing to learn as you go, and understand that the build may take some time (research, parts gathering, build, & fine tuning), then a kit is a the most economical way to max out your trx-4.

You'll need these parts to complete it (not including charger/battery):
- 540 or 550 sized Motor
- Electronic speed controller
- High torque/metal gear servo
- Radio transmitter and receiver
I second this recommendation. My first scaler/crawler was an SCX10 Jeep Unlimited kit, but I couldn’t get around to building it, so I bought an RTR Deadbolt, which allowed me to get out on the trails right away. I learned enough about the workings of that platform after replacing & upgrading parts, so at the end of the year, when things slowed down, I was ready to break out the kit build.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:09 AM   #5

As others have already written, buy an RTR of your choice. You'll need a battery for the vehicle and a charger. AA batteries for the receiver. At the same time look on eBay for the manual for the kit version of the RTR. Between now and this winter drive the vehicle as much as possible. This winter using the kit version of the manual tear the vehicle apart to R&R and or upgrade the part you want as you put it back together.
cpl666k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #6

Thank you so much for the recommendations. Here's my situation, I'm having surgery and my recovery will be close to a month so I'll have all the time in the world to assemble a kit. My question now is should I get the TRX 4 kit or the TRX 4 Sport kit?
Old 04-25-2019, 12:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMSYYZ View Post
Thank you so much for the recommendations. Here's my situation, I'm having surgery and my recovery will be close to a month so I'll have all the time in the world to assemble a kit. My question now is should I get the TRX 4 kit or the TRX 4 Sport kit?
I was in the position of making the same decision as you and went with the Sport Kit.

1. Many people seem to prefer the locked axles with the Sport. Less complexity and chance for breakage. You lose the 2 speed trans but that didn't bother me any.

2. I didn't mind sourcing the electronics and parts. In fact that was part of the fun...you get a chance to make it into a bit better machine this way.

3. I liked all the scale accessories the Sport Kit came with and the clear body which gave me a chance to paint something truly unique from scratch.

Ultimately I think I got the chance to build a better more unique truck that may be more robust for less or comparable money to the TRX-4 Kit (w/electronics included). It could cost you a lot more money depending on what parts you choose of course. YMMV
tinytrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #8

Thanks tinytrux, does the sport kit include the instructions for installing the electronics?
Old 04-25-2019, 01:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMSYYZ View Post
Thanks tinytrux, does the sport kit include the instructions for installing the electronics?
It does! And guys like Soze have done exhaustive threads with each step of the build and he also has youtube videos of all the steps.

Soze rejoices the Traxxas TRX4 Sport Kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JseB1LBjjo
tinytrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:09 PM   #10

This is excellent, love his youtube videos.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Trx4 sport kit is great. Instructions are extremely clear and the parts fit together awesome. If your gunna build a kit, this is probably one of the best for a beginner.

The electronics could a little challenge depending on your skill with a soldering iron. Its not hard, you just gotta get the esc leads soldered to the motor.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:08 PM   #12

Do you like building mechanical stuff? If so the TRX-4 kit is great. It's fun and as easy to put together as you're going to find for a scaler. Traxxas instructions are excellent. Patience is great to have, but I don't have it and I still love building RCs as much as I like running them.

With that being said, you don't don't lose anything with the RTR Sport except that it's going to cost more and you'll be replacing the steering servo quickly.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:52 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
With that being said, you don't don't lose anything with the RTR Sport except that it's going to cost more and you'll be replacing the steering servo quickly.

Going to the RTR Sport, you actually lose the laser cut body with the expedition rack and all the accessories, as well as the metal servo horn that comes with the kit.
Up'n'Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up'n'Over View Post
Going to the RTR Sport, you actually lose the laser cut body with the expedition rack and all the accessories, as well as the metal servo horn that comes with the kit.
Good points. The rack and accessories are just dead weight though. So if you are building a performance rig you wouldn't want those anyway. But if you are into scale trinkets than they are cool.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:43 AM   #15
RCC Addict

If you really want to build one, and I agree you become intimately familiar with them that way, then the sport kit is a home-run. Assembly is relatively easy, instructions are excellent. Like eating an elephant....one bite at a time.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX4 Sport Kit recommendations - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soze rejoices the Traxxas TRX4 Sport Kit soze Traxxas TRX-4 76 07-19-2020 08:58 AM
OS's TRX4 Sport Kit OSRC Traxxas TRX-4 100 06-06-2020 08:35 AM
TRX4 Sport kit svt923 Traxxas TRX-4 265 06-27-2019 04:16 PM
Trx4 bronco with Sport body and traxxas lift kit Exiwolfman Traxxas TRX-4 0 10-13-2018 02:20 PM
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM