Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX-4 Chassis Kit Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #1

Default TRX-4 Chassis Kit Build

About a week ago I decided to get a crawler so my son and I could enjoy the outdoors in a new way. My RC10 is just too fast for him, and with acres of woods and park lands right our our back door it seems like a great RC option.

There are so many options in crawlers and it can be difficult to decide what to do. I started with a $200 budget using my own electronics. However I soon realized that spending more was worth it and that 2WD buggy electronics are not suited for crawlers.

My purchase decision went back and forth from the Redcat 7, 7 Pro, 8, TRX-4, back to a Redcat, then finally landed on the TRX-4.

Then it was another round of decision making: RTR? Kit? New? Used?

I knew I wanted to build my own. So the Sport kit or the Chassis Kit? I initially figured I would get the Chassis kit and sell the radio, Rx, ESC, Servo, Diffs, and two speed gearbox. I didn't need that. I could get a Sport kit for about $150 less if I did that. But...those extra features would work for me. I would like do some crawling, but also like to do faster backyard bashing type driving. The locking diffs would make it more versatile.

Without a set budget, the Chassis Kit seemed to offer the most value and potential. So I landed on that and so it begins!

Oh, you can see it took all of 2 days for the upgrades to begin. The ESC noise, weak BEC, and so-so low speed control made the HW 1080 an easy upgrade. The servo is another upgrade and I rolled the dice on the DS218(?) 20Kg.

While I waited for the kit and build that, I also need to decide on a paint scheme. My son likes orange and red trucks these days. Its also a bit of a joke how all my outdoor gear, MTB, and other random stuff follows an orange and gray color scheme. So it seems fitting to do that for this.

I considered a few bodies. I don't really have a favorite truck or brand. I did like the Jeep Rubicon, but like most (all?) non-Traxxas bodies you have to make compromises, buy more parts to get the longer wheelbase, trim the chassis/fenders, or a combination of those. So I opted for the Sport body which I actually like.

My approach to paint designs is to keep it fairly basic so I can use tape and rattle cans. What I do is download photos from the internet, then use an image program like Photoshop or Pixelmator (Mac) to adjust the colors. Using basic selections and adjustment layers give you a natural looking way to "paint" your design mock-up.

I hope to start the build tonight and when it gets close to done I'll see what help my 3yo son can offer...yeah, that will be interesting.
CTYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: TRX-4 Chassis Kit Build

Congrats and nice choices! Looks to be a cool build. I dig the rendering, fancy!
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:40 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Nice color choices. I went with the kit too. I like the 2 speed and the remote lockers. Building it lets you get good grease in all the gears and make sure everything is tight during assembly. I think you'll need the narrow fenders with that body. I just pulled them off for my '73 Bronco. Keep us posted on your build. ;)

jim
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
I think you'll need the narrow fenders with that body. I just pulled them off for my '73 Bronco.
Ah, bummer. You are right. It doesn't seem to fit the Sport body. They are out of stock most places too. I may just have to do some trimming to make it work. I'll call Traxxas tomorrow to see what they suggest.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:13 PM   #5
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYankee View Post
Ah, bummer. You are right. It doesn't seem to fit the Sport body. They are out of stock most places too. I may just have to do some trimming to make it work. I'll call Traxxas tomorrow to see what they suggest.
You can just trim them up. I used them on my sport kit build. Surprisingly didn’t need all that much trimming.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
You can just trim them up. I used them on my sport kit build. Surprisingly didn’t need all that much trimming.
Do you happen to have any photos? I checked your YT/IG but didn't see anything there or the forums here.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYankee View Post
Do you happen to have any photos? I checked your YT/IG but didn't see anything there or the forums here.
I don’t have them saved on my phone any longer but here’s a post with the rear trimmed. I’d take a pic of the front ones as they are now but I’ve trimmed them up more to fit a raptor body, they didn’t need much for the sport iirc.

Danza builds a submudder
Old 05-20-2019, 08:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
I don’t have them saved on my phone any longer but here’s a post with the rear trimmed. I’d take a pic of the front ones as they are now but I’ve trimmed them up more to fit a raptor body, they didn’t need much for the sport iirc.

Danza builds a submudder
Thank you. Also looks like I need to move the body mount.

TRX-4 Chassis Kit Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TinyTrux TRX-4 Sport Kit Build-out tinytrux Traxxas TRX-4 46 05-21-2019 06:56 AM
MG's TRX-4 Sport kit build/mods MentalGuru Traxxas TRX-4 10 04-25-2019 06:51 AM
FJ body TRX-4 kit build tkvtec Traxxas TRX-4 20 04-11-2019 01:26 AM
TRX-4 kit chassis MasteroFlego General Scale Talk 27 05-10-2018 12:51 PM