Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: What's the consensus on the ver.2 Traxx Pods?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2021, 10:02 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default What's the consensus on the ver.2 Traxx Pods?

When the TRX-4 Traxx pods first came out, people tested them in mud and snow and found that they slipped way too much, and also clogged easily. Traxxas has since changed the tread pattern from chevrons to paddles; how much difference does this make in the real world? Also, have the problems with clogging and slipping belts improved at all, or at least have people figured out how to reliably solve these problems after purchase?
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2021, 06:46 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What's the consensus on the ver.2 Traxx Pods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
When the TRX-4 Traxx pods first came out, people tested them in mud and snow and found that they slipped way too much, and also clogged easily. Traxxas has since changed the tread pattern from chevrons to paddles; how much difference does this make in the real world? Also, have the problems with clogging and slipping belts improved at all, or at least have people figured out how to reliably solve these problems after purchase?

I don’t have the tracks but here are my thoughts.

In snowmobile applications, minimal lug track compared to a paddle track is a huge difference in deep snow.

The minimal lug track will get stuck a lot more and won’t be able to go near the same places a paddle track will.

So, for the Trx4 both track sets have the same flotation from the tracks but the paddle will offer much better traction than the chevron.

As far as improved reliability of the track system I don’t know
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:51 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default What's the consensus on the ver.2 Traxx Pods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post

I don’t have the tracks but here are my thoughts.

In snowmobile applications, minimal lug track compared to a paddle track is a huge difference in deep snow.

The minimal lug track will get stuck a lot more and won’t be able to go near the same places a paddle track will.

So, for the Trx4 both track sets have the same flotation from the tracks but the paddle will offer much better traction than the chevron.

As far as improved reliability of the track system I don’t know

ETA - no clue why this double tapped
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:53 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Yeah, I've seen videos of the new ones in snow and they do seem to work better, but that could also be the result of people cherry-picking good bits of video where the new tracks happened to work particularly well. I was hoping for more firsthand accounts of using them before I drop 200 bucks to try them out.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:05 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I tried out the new deep tread Traxx. Not worth the money in my opinion. I took off all the brass to reduce weight as much as possible. They worked fine indoors but in 4 inches of snow they just dug in and sank. Only way I could move was second gear and full throttle.
PFongemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:27 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Be better off putting some over size tires on it like the Toyotas modified for the Arctic runs.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:37 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFongemie View Post
I tried out the new deep tread Traxx. Not worth the money in my opinion. I took off all the brass to reduce weight as much as possible. They worked fine indoors but in 4 inches of snow they just dug in and sank. Only way I could move was second gear and full throttle.
Disappointing. Good to know.

I was talking to someone, somewhere, who said that the Traxx pods would work a lot better if the treads were fiber-reinforced like drive belts, so they wouldn't stretch and slip when mud or snow gets packed into the drive pulleys. But even so, the pods look a bit narrow to drive on really soft surfaces like snow and wet mud. On soft surfaces, there is no replacement for a large contact patch.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 02-10-2021 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:41 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
Be better off putting some over size tires on it like the Toyotas modified for the Arctic runs.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Hmm. Now you've got me contemplating fitting a set of 2.2" stadium-truck wheels and tires with a set of hub spacers. Though even that might not have a big enough contact patch to keep from sinking in. Snow might be one surface where the non-linear scaling of physics prevents a RC truck from being able to drive on it without being custom-built for the purpose.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:30 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The Short Course Fling Kings Jr. in the 3.0/2.2" size might be relatively easy to fit (1.75”W x 4.45”H)

But I'd think a custom setup using the new JConcepts Fling Kings Jr. in the 2.2" size might be the best for snow... they're 2.5"W x 5.50"H:

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:39 AM   #10
Slow is the new Fast

Personally, I have had a blast with the Traxx. Started on the chevron patterned and switched to the deep lug when they were released. I found the paddles made a world of difference. Keep in mind I use my Traxx in snow exclusively. For me, they are a means to running my X4 in conditions I could not otherwise run in. For this reason, I consider them a success. I have also set my X4 with a lot of power relative to what is suggested and have NOT geared down. The power is the difference maker in some situations, but one has to be conscientious of not abusing it. That said the X4 is stout and has, so far, handled it brilliantly for the past couple of winters.

I suspect a lot of people expect the rig to be a submarine and are disappointed when they can’t run effortlessly through snow up the windshield. The amazing thing is, with a head of steam and the power I am running I can get up on the snow and get float.

Traxx are a relatively complex mechanism. Most consumers are used to the simplicity and effortless maintenance of their traditional tires. If you are not willing to put some thought and consideration into what you are working with then forget about it, stick to tires. Neglect your Traxx and they will return you the favour.

Anyway, it appears I am one of the few who continues to have a positive experience with them(at least around here). This surprises me considering I have always thought this platform attracts the true hobbyist, an activity that takes patience and an ability to troubleshoot.

Personally, I would not buy traxx to run on terra firma. I like my rigs to run smoothly, and on hard ground these definitely do not(That said, they likely could look pretty cool with the right shell).
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:21 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Did you have to modify your Traxx pods at all to make them work optimally in snow?

What's the consensus on the ver.2 Traxx Pods? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock consensus emmett751 Axial Wraith 7 06-10-2015 12:12 AM
general consensus minicrawlerguy530 G-Made Sawback 9 09-24-2014 08:28 AM
Servo Consensus jrmbtr Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 21 04-18-2011 12:14 PM
Tri-pods Reflection Videos! 0 11-27-2009 12:02 PM
General Consensus ? mkinnett1 Tires and Wheels 3 09-16-2009 06:14 AM