Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Bronco/Blazer - how are the lexan bodies holding up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2020, 01:35 PM   #1

Default Bronco/Blazer - how are the lexan bodies holding up?

Hey guys,

Wondering what are the parts of the bronco/blazer body that are most susceptible to damage?
Any portions of the lexan body that should be shoe-gooed?
Do the stock chrome bumpers get dinged up really bad? (any blazer aftermarket bumper recommendations? RC4WD bumpers look awesome but are too expensive IMHO.)

Thinking of adding another TRX-4 to the stable now that one of my kiddos has taken an interest in joining me on the hiking trails driving RC trucks. I typically drive my TXR4 defender and my son takes my 2wd stampede bigfoot. The stampede isn't the best for rock crawling/technical parts of our hiking trails so this is my opportunity too justify the purchase of a blazer!

The defender has the exo cage which i think really helps keep the lexan body alive when hitting rocks or when she rolls/tumbles end over end (it happens ) Only real body damage i have to the defender is some scratches and rear bumper corners of the lexan body tend to split.
joeR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2020, 01:51 PM   #2

Default Re: Bronco/Blazer - how are the lexan bodies holding up?

I have the Bronco and the body has held up well. I mainly do trail runs but will occasionally run a rock garden and that’s where the chrome bumper getS beat up. Have you thought of buying a sport? Just as capable as the bronco/blazer and in some cases more so with its lcg. Also bumpers don’t get hung up as much when rock crawling
nucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:57 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I've run my Bronco body through a gauntlet of rocks, brush, etc and plenty of tumbles in the process. Can't believe that I haven't lost a side-view mirror yet but other than a LOT of scratches, nothing has cracked or deformed ( aside from a couple tiny cracks where the fenders meet the sliders and maybe a tiny crack on one of the rear corners down by the bumper). The plastic chromed bumpers get scraped up and ugly pretty quick but just adds to the character. I replaced mine with some SSD aluminum bumpers... much better approach/ departure angles. Fwiw my Defender has way more cracks going on... been running it a little longer than the Bronco but the majority of those cracks are from bolt-on accessories and I don't have many accessories bolted onto the Bronco.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
RCC Addict

My Bronco body has held up very well, after it got all scratched up I scuffed up the outside with a scotchbrite, masked offf the windows, removed the chrome, and painted it with duplicolor bedliner paint and that made it even tougher and it looks like a strictly woods rig now.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
My Bronco body has held up very well, after it got all scratched up I scuffed up the outside with a scotchbrite, masked offf the windows, removed the chrome, and painted it with duplicolor bedliner paint and that made it even tougher and it looks like a strictly woods rig now.
Any pics?
Old 05-11-2020, 02:33 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucklehead View Post
Any pics?
Page 4 in this thread

Back after 4 years
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:41 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I've had my Bronco for just over a year now, and I've not been easy with it. As been said, the stock bumpers will lose the chrome finish rather quick, especially on the bottom from climbing rocks. Mine has survived a good 200' free fall down a rock hill. Because of how I drive, it does have a LOT of scratches and the rear "door" has just started to separate from the main body. I will repair it as best I can with sheetrock tape and shoo-goo. I do plan to buy another Bronco body as I just love that style body.
Having said all the above, I agree that the Sport version of the TRX4 is a great rig for youngsters. It's a great all around rig. There's at least 4 of them in my group of friends, and they trail and crawl extremely well. Plus, there's less "parts" to worry about such as no mini servos to shift into high or low range, or to lock and unlock diffs. While I might use the high/low range a bit, I almost never use the diff lock/unlocker. In fact, I've unhooked the diff lock servos in the locked position, and are using those channels in the receiver for other purposes.
dungeonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:45 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

We have a bronco in our collection. It's my boys truck and the body has held up pretty good. He has broken both wiper blades off somehow. The body had 2 small cracks but we did the shoe goo and drywall repair. So far the rest is holding up really good. He is also very very hard on the trx4. This is why he is not allowed to drive my trx4.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucklehead View Post
I have the Bronco and the body has held up well. I mainly do trail runs but will occasionally run a rock garden and that’s where the chrome bumper getS beat up. Have you thought of buying a sport? Just as capable as the bronco/blazer and in some cases more so with its lcg. Also bumpers don’t get hung up as much when rock crawling
Thanks for the feedback guys. I do like the idea of getting the sport kit to build with my kiddos, i just really dig the scale blazer/bronco body, with lights accessories etc. Now if the pickup truck body was modeled after an old ford ranger or tacoma (TF2?) i'd be more inclined to get the sport kit.
joeR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeR6 View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I do like the idea of getting the sport kit to build with my kiddos, i just really dig the scale blazer/bronco body, with lights accessories etc. Now if the pickup truck body was modeled after an old ford ranger or tacoma (TF2?) i'd be more inclined to get the sport kit.
Building the sport kit with your kids is an excellent way to have some father son/daughter time and it will show them how the rc’ works. As far as the body goes ask your kids what they think of it, if they like it then go with the kit. If they want someone more scale then look at aftermarket bodies you can paint with them.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #11

I have been fairly hard on my truck.
I have separation at the rear corners of the truck on both sides.
I regularly beat on this guy and it tumbles down the rocks plenty.
But for how tough I have been on it over the last year, the body takes the punishment quite well.
Catbox is offline   Reply With Quote