Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Motor forward kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Motor forward kit

GRC TRX4 G2 Motor Pre-gear Box T4 Front Electric Motor Kit V8 Compatible for 1/10 RC TRX-4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PN96TN3..._L2e0CbREZ0DYN

Anyone tried this? I'm thinking about trying it.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Motor forward kit

The servo will be "throwing" the wrong way. which can cause funky steering, otherwise it looks nice.
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:12 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

If moving weight forward is the goal of this kit, there are other ways to do it that are cheaper. Brass bumper mounts, metal front bumpers, adding a winch, etc.

I'd also be concerned about the fact there's more u-joints to worry about.

But be advised, I'm a newbie to the crawler scene, so take my advice with a grain of salt (and pepper )

It does look like a well designed kit though
dungeonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonracer View Post
If moving weight forward is the goal of this kit, there are other ways to do it that are cheaper. Brass bumper mounts, metal front bumpers, adding a winch, etc.

I'd also be concerned about the fact there's more u-joints to worry about.

But be advised, I'm a newbie to the crawler scene, so take my advice with a grain of salt (and pepper )

It does look like a well designed kit though

Does no one here drive downhill lol?
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:51 PM   #5
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
Do it backwards
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:47 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Name:  57413029612__5F4B5652-D432-4E32-BCB0-3CDD9A5B85BD.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  131.7 KBName:  57472986140__18060557-3477-4831-AADC-4615199C3EAE.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  175.9 KB
I have that setup on my trx and I love it. And the fit is amazing. It goes well with the Holmes hobbie stubby brushless motor I’m running too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bex_RDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:49 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Only thing is that its a 3 part setup. You need to order the kit, servo Mount, and strut bar/body mount kit for it all to work proper.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex_RDK View Post
Attachment 380878Attachment 380879
I have that setup on my trx and I love it. And the fit is amazing. It goes well with the Holmes hobbie stubby brushless motor I’m running too.

Thanks for the input. Iooking to do something like you did for a v8 under the hood.

mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:47 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Did the installation of the GRC front motor kit quiet the gear noise? Overall how is it working for you?
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:56 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

It comes with special washers that greatly help with gear noise. Mine is heavily lubed and is fairly quiet.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:58 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Electronics have made this a non issue, a Mamba X specifically.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:00 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
Do it backwards

Lmfao!!!!

Old 05-07-2019, 03:24 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Electronics have made this a non issue, a Mamba X specifically.
How would electronics fix throwing too much weight out over the front axle?
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
How would electronics fix throwing too much weight out over the front axle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
X2
Using the Aux feature to adjust drag brake, drag brake ramp plus the way the drag bake is incorporated on the Mamba X.
Firstly you can turn down the drag brake on the fly for when you're descending which is a huge help. Drag brake ramp (various settings for how quick or slow it ramps up to full strength drag brake) makes it so even if you dont turn down the drag brake it can engage gently without upsetting the truck (slamming on the brakes and flipping end over end).
The biggest thing I feel though is from the drag brake implementation. Castle has made it so the drag brake is active while going slowly and it helps to keep the motor speed steady. Other ESC's will freewheel when they get to a steep slope (with throttle input) while the X's will keep the speed in check, you can actually hear the spur gear sort of catching up with the pinion as it adjusts the speed.

I just installed a few of the Mamba micro X's into some front heavy rigs (Ascender, Venture) and they have dramatically improved compared to what they used to be. I used to stand at the bottom of hill ready to catch these but now they're so much better that I no longer worry.

The biggest issue I see with a front heavy rig is a strong drag brake, if you had none at all you'll miss the moments where your back end tries to overtake the front (flipping). to avoid this you can turn the drag brake way down but then it becomes fairly useless. all the drag brake adjustments I listed above address this drag brake related issue.
For me this was such a big improvement that I don't see this as a hindrance anymore.

Nate you're welcome to give my rigs a spin at Proline BTF and feel it for yourself

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 05-07-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:36 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Casey, that's very interesting, thanks.

Sounds great, thanks!
It wasnt even something I was expecting, once I felt it on the Venture I knew the Ascender had to have one.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
GRC TRX4 G2 Motor Pre-gear Box T4 Front Electric Motor Kit V8 Compatible for 1/10 RC TRX-4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PN96TN3..._L2e0CbREZ0DYN

There's another that on that thing here somewhere. It looks interesting to me, but expensive once you add up all the required parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
Do it backwards
That's what she said!

Quote:
Looks cool, but raises motor and primary gearbox up about 1" from looking at it on the screen. I'll pass.
Yes, but depending on the situation it will still help. I'd love to see a side by side comparison to see how performance is really affected by the kit.

Quote:
Using the Aux feature to adjust drag brake, drag brake ramp plus the way the drag bake is incorporated on the Mamba X.
Firstly you can turn down the drag brake on the fly for when you're descending which is a huge help. Drag brake ramp (various settings for how quick or slow it ramps up to full strength drag brake) makes it so even if you dont turn down the drag brake it can engage gently without upsetting the truck (slamming on the brakes and flipping end over end).
The biggest thing I feel though is from the drag brake implementation. Castle has made it so the drag brake is active while going slowly and it helps to keep the motor speed steady. Other ESC's will freewheel when they get to a steep slope (with throttle input) while the X's will keep the speed in check, you can actually hear the spur gear sort of catching up with the pinion as it adjusts the speed.

I just installed a few of the Mamba micro X's into some front heavy rigs (Ascender, Venture) and they have dramatically improved compared to what they used to be. I used to stand at the bottom of hill ready to catch these but now they're so much better that I no longer worry.

The biggest issue I see with a front heavy rig is a strong drag brake, if you had none at all you'll miss the moments where your back end tries to overtake the front (flipping). to avoid this you can turn the drag brake way down but then it becomes fairly useless. all the drag brake adjustments I listed above address this drag brake related issue.
For me this was such a big improvement that I don't see this as a hindrance anymore.

Nate you're welcome to give my rigs a spin at Proline BTF and feel it for yourself
This is why I have a hard time running without the Mamba X on any new build. It's the best crawler ESC hands down and with each firmware release it gets better.

The HobbyWing 1080 is my second choice and while that's much cheaper it's also a lot less adjustable and has less features. There's a huge price and performance gap there that an aspiring manufacturer could fill.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Totally agree with you Jato, though it took me a while to come to that conclusion.

JRH mentioned in the Have tech questions? Will answer. thread that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
The next firmware update to the BRXL and mini will be adding active freewheeling and drag ramp, so that it has that same locked in feeling when decending.
He also said the Aux feature might be coming a year ago (which still has not been added) so take that with a grain of salt. If it does happen it would be great though. I really like how open and willing to share info he is. Oh and active freewheeling is what I was trying to describe, its truly an awesome feature that everyone should try if the opportunity arises.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 05-07-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Totally agree with you Jato, though it took me a while to come to that conclusion.

JRH mentioned in the Have tech questions? Will answer. thread that:

He also said the Aux feature might be coming a year ago (which still has not been added) so take that with a grain of salt. If it does happen it would be great though. I really like how open and willing to share info he is. Oh and active freewheeling is what I was trying to describe, its truly an awesome feature that everyone should try if the opportunity arises.
Interesting. I thought he said firmware development was dead on his ESCs because Castle was keeping everything new for their ESCs.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:26 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post

I have this kit installed on my TRX4 defender,
TRX4 subtle upgrades
moedawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:28 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Did the installation of the GRC front motor kit quiet the gear noise? Overall how is it working for you?
the gear gets louder
moedawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Motor forward kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forward motor mounting rs10man Vaterra Ascender 7 08-27-2017 11:09 PM
Forward motor mount akatz Axial SCX-10 1 02-02-2016 08:04 PM
battery forward kit tnt-salvage Axial Wraith 5 06-23-2013 06:59 PM