Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Differences/benefits of the "hard-anodized PTFE-Coated" shocks vs the standard ones?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question Differences/benefits of the "hard-anodized PTFE-Coated" shocks vs the standard ones?

I'm looking to order some TRX-4 shocks (not for my TRX-4 but for an SCX10 ) and I noticed that Traxxas offers both the 8260 ("Silver aluminum") shocks and the 8260X, which are Hard-Anodized PTFE-Coated.

What are the benefits of the latter? They are only bout $15 (Canadian) difference per pair.
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Differences/benefits of the "hard-anodized PTFE-Coated" shocks vs the standard on

The PFTE coated shocks will have smoother movement of the piston inside the shock and the hard anodizing will resist scratches better than regular anodizing.

Will that make an actual difference for the extra cost? Probably not.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:22 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Differences/benefits of the "hard-anodized PTFE-Coated" shocks vs the standard on

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The PFTE coated shocks will have smoother movement of the piston inside the shock and the hard anodizing will resist scratches better than regular anodizing.

Thanks for the explanation! I've been running my TRX-4 with regular shocks for nearly a year and they look and perform very nicely - for the small difference in cost, I may just get these PFTE coated ones, put them on my TRX-4 and put my old shocks into the SCX10
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post

Agreed, racing buggies the hard anodizing definitely makes a difference.
They should last longer and be more consistent damping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashNSlash View Post
Thanks for the explanation! I've been running my TRX-4 with regular shocks for nearly a year and they look and perform very nicely - for the small difference in cost, I may just get these PFTE coated ones, put them on my TRX-4 and put my old shocks into the SCX10

Last edited by Natedog; 08-13-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:07 PM   #5
Gold Star Baby!

I have the titanium nitride shafts in one of my trx4s. There’s not a noticeable difference in smoothness but they certainly didn’t hurt and have held up well. No visible scratches and still butter smooth, that trx4 gets pushed too as it’s the most capable of my rigs. Have only had them in since December.

also have a set of the 8260x shocks sitting around waiting to go into a new build eventually, haven’t fondled them yet.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Pretty sure Ti Nitride is the same stuff they put on mountain bike fork(think Fox forks with the bronze colored tubes) and it is meant to reduce “stiction” on the sliding components. Mtb forks will stick a little under light load so its supposed to help on small bump compliance.

Last edited by mass-hole; 05-07-2019 at 01:53 PM.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #7
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
I have the titanium nitride shafts in one of my trx4s. There’s not a noticeable difference in smoothness but they certainly didn’t hurt and have held up well. No visible scratches and still butter smooth, that trx4 gets pushed too as it’s the most capable of my rigs. Have only had them in since December.

also have a set of the 8260x shocks sitting around waiting to go into a new build eventually, haven’t fondled them yet.

That sounds about right, the shaft coating is intended to improve scratch resistance and increase life. One could argue that a shaft that stays in better shape longer, overall performs better but that's splitting hairs I guess. I thought long and hard about those PTFE shock bodies and gold shafts, but am happy enough with the kit shocks.
JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:43 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post

TiNi shafts should have a little less stiction and definitely last longer especially with lots of dirt and grit.

THose new shocks look great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
Pretty sure Ti Nitride is the same stuff they put on mountain bike fork(think Fox forks with the bronze colored tubes) and it is meant to reduce “stiction” on the sliding components. Mtb forks will stick a little under light load so its supposed to help on small bump compliance.
No, MTB forks (good ones are aluminum alloy legs) and are hard anodized or Fox uses Kashima coating, which after double checking is a propietary hard anodizing process. Is one process better than the other? Not sure, but Fox loves to charge out the yingyang for it lol. Yes, it reduces stiction, friction and wear.

KASHIMA-COAT.COM What is KASHIMA COAT?
"Kashima Coat is a proprietary hard anodizing processing that Miyaki Company of Japan has invented, lubricating molybdenum disulfide deposited via electrical induction into the billions of micro-pores on the surface of hard-anodized aluminum for better lubrication and less abrasion and wear."
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:50 AM   #9
Gold Star Baby!

Finally got around to building these and I have to say they feel great. gts shocks have been smooth in general, and perhaps it’s because this set is new, but I’m impressed. If this feel holds up then it could be worth the extra $10 a set.
Attached Images

Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote

Differences/benefits of the "hard-anodized PTFE-Coated" shocks vs the standard ones? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"standard" length or "extended" for SS 6mm bombproof outputs? ussprinceton2004 Axial SCX-10 4 09-21-2014 02:04 PM
*Want some FREE stuff? 2.2 Black " ANODIZED " rock rings*-WINNER Unimoger General Crawlers 78 12-03-2006 12:41 PM