Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Contemplating a kit trx4 sport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #1

Default Contemplating a kit trx4 sport

I have been into rc's since the early 80's, but always purchased RTR's. I always felt behind because I dont know how to take the rc's apart and fix them if something breaks. With that said I would like to learn now, I want to go buy a trx4 sport kit and build it. For fun and to learn.

Now, I have no clue about what brand or item to get.

transmitter and receiver
esc and motor
steering servo

Anyone want to give me feedback on what you would use on your sport kit dream build so I can do some research on what I would like.

I still want to be able to go 10+ mph and I still want to be able to climb with the best of them. Thanks rccrawler folks.
traxxas79k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: Contemplating a kit trx4 sport

What’s your budget?

Motor esc combos can be $60 or $200.

Servo can be $16 or $120.

Tx/rx I’m a big fan of the flysky gt5.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
What’s your budget?

Motor esc combos can be $60 or $200.

Servo can be $16 or $120.

Tx/rx I’m a big fan of the flysky gt5.
There isnt a budget. With that said I'm not going to spend 300 on a transmitter/control because its a bunch of non sense I dont need or know how to use, but everything else is fair game.

I just went to the rc shop and picked up the kit.

@pant danza man it must be nice living in Las Vegas as you can go crawl in red rock or valley of fire. Would be so awesome to play over there. We go to Las Vegas like 6 times a year so I might bring my crawler with me next visit. Will be there june 30-july6 on our next visit.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:33 PM   #4
Gold Star Baby!

That’s one of the reasons I like the GT5, a lot of the bells and whistles of the $300 transmitters but for less than $80.

Spendy suggestion:
ESC - Mamba X
Motor - Holmes Puller Pro (castle slate motor would be okay)
Servo - savox 2290

Not so spendy -
Hobbywing 1080
Holmes trailmaster sport
Amazon 25kg servo

Half spendy -
Hobbywing 1080
Holmes torque master or crawlmaster
Savox 1230

Also recommend checking out Soze, OSRC, Jatos, and a few others sport build threads for more info. Some great detailed threads around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxxas79k5 View Post
@pant danza man it must be nice living in Las Vegas as you can go crawl in red rock or valley of fire. Would be so awesome to play over there. We go to Las Vegas like 6 times a year so I might bring my crawler with me next visit. Will be there june 30-july6 on our next visit.
Oh you know it! It’s a crawler paradise out here. Here are some pics and clips from red rocks and valley of fire. Holler if you do and I’ll come crawl with ya

Attached Images

Last edited by Topher Builds; 05-17-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #5

@pants danza
That was insane crawling on the first video. Totally envious of what you get to play with.. Its freakin flat over here lol.

Thanks for the list of things for me to research. 2nd person to recommend the mamba and castle, will research everything. Thanks man.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:53 PM   #6
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxxas79k5 View Post
@pants danza
That was insane crawling on the first video. Totally envious of what you get to play with.. Its freakin flat over here lol.

Thanks for the list of things for me to research. 2nd person to recommend the mamba and castle, will research everything. Thanks man.
I thank my lucky stars on a weekly basis that we have this terrain in the “backyard”. Thanks for the comments, much appreciated

I’m sure some others will have some suggestions for you as well, some good options out there. Congrats on the kit purchase and hope you start a thread to share the build with us.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:34 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Great info from Danza above. If your goal is to learn the rig and be able to work on it and make mods, a kit is a great way to go. Specifically, the TRX-4. Hands down, I think it’s the best scale crawler available right now in terms of quality, features and value. Plus, the aftermarket grows on a near daily basis.

In terms of motor/esc combo, you can run the gamut. A good brushless system could be north of $250 with motor and ESC. If you stick with brushed, get a HobbyWing 1080 (about $45 with program card) and just use the Traxxas 550 motor. Tx/Rx is largely down to personal preference. Most of my rigs are bound to a Spektrum DX4C. Having said that, I kept the OE Traxxas Tx/Rx combo for the sport so I could have a loaner rig available. Not a lot of bells and whistles, but it gets the job done just fine.

The servo is a very important part of the Crawling/Trailing experience. They also run the gamut on $. Look for something in the 300oz range or above that fits your budget. Pro Modeler is a good avenue here in terms of warranty, quality, and support.

I’ve done the Ebay “Chinesium” brand servos a couple times and all I can say is your better off spending a little bit more up front.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:39 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Great info from Danza above. If your goal is to learn the rig and be able to work on it and make mods, a kit is a great way to go. Specifically, the TRX-4. Hands down, I think it’s the best scale crawler available right now in terms of quality, features and value. Plus, the aftermarket grows on a near daily basis.

In terms of motor/esc combo, you can run the gamut. A good brushless system could be north of $250 with motor and ESC. If you stick with brushed, get a HobbyWing 1080 (about $45 with program card) and just use the Traxxas 550 motor. Tx/Rx is largely down to personal preference. Most of my rigs are bound to a Spektrum DX4C. Having said that, I kept the OE Traxxas Tx/Rx combo for the sport so I could have a loaner rig available. Not a lot of bells and whistles, but it gets the job done just fine.

The servo is a very important part of the Crawling/Trailing experience. They also run the gamut on $. Look for something in the 300oz range or above that fits your budget. Pro Modeler is a good avenue here in terms of warranty, quality, and support.

I’ve done the Ebay “Chinesium” brand servos a couple times and all I can say is your better off spending a little bit more up front.
Ditto. That is where I am at with my two Sports too.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Contemplating a kit trx4 sport - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OS's TRX4 Sport Kit OSRC Traxxas TRX-4 100 06-06-2020 08:35 AM
TRX4 Sport kit svt923 Traxxas TRX-4 265 06-27-2019 04:16 PM
TRX4 Sport Kit or SCX10II Raw Builder's Kit? westerlycarrot9 General Crawlers 13 05-10-2019 10:34 PM
TRX4 Sport Kit recommendations GMSYYZ Traxxas TRX-4 14 04-26-2019 08:43 AM
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM