RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   TRX-4 Traxx question (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/608798-trx-4-traxx-question.html)

Brianmcbride99 05-19-2019 08:14 AM

TRX-4 Traxx question

Hello, newbie, first post. Thank you for a wealth of information on this site.
I’m getting back into RC for the first time in years. Here is the background and a couple questions:

Bought a Land Rover TRX-4 3 days ago.
Bought 2 Traxxas 3s 4000 mah lipos.
Bought the Traxx set to go with it.
Bought the Traxxas recommended steering servo upgrade(High Torque 400, 2255 model).
Did NOT buy the BEC kit bc my LHS did not have in stock.

Installed the servo and the tracks. Everything worked great for about 20 mins. Then nothing works. Motor and ESC are blazing hot.

Take it in to cool off.
Around 4 hours later, another trial run, 15 mins in, shuts off. Smells like burnt electronics, smoke, erratic forward and backward starts and stops, with no input from the radio.

ESC is fried, Any time I plug the battery in it smokes bad.
Obviously need a new ESC.
Will Traxxas replace this under warranty?

The more important question:

If I gear down(9t pinion) AND install the BEC, will I eliminate the excessive heat and killing of the ESC?

Also of note: driving style with tracks, very slow, not much throttle at all.

Thanks a ton!

amigaman 05-19-2019 08:39 AM

Re: TRX-4 Traxx question

If there's any word in the manuals for traxx or servo that you need that BEC, no.
The XL5 has a notoriously weak BEC that's just good enough to get the wak original 2075 going, with all the other stuff and no driving it's at 50% rated load all the time, when you turn it's on 200.

With traxx and 2255 you made it go 300% load with no driving, so it was to burn eventually.
So no, it's completely your fault.
The only thing is: did you know it (by reading the pamphlets supplied)?

Brianmcbride99 05-19-2019 09:21 AM

so Yes I know it’s my fault, though the wording by Traxxas makes it sounds like the steering Servo and BEC are only recommended, not required. I’m a bit confused though by your response, are you asking if there is any mention in the manuals regarding needing the BEC?

Also, are you stating the recommended BEC from Traxxas will not fix the issue? If not, what do I need to do to use the tracks and upgraded steering servo without burning up another ESC?

Thanks!
Brian

Inspector86 05-19-2019 09:50 AM

To use the Traxx you probably should install the 9t pinion and always run in low gear. Also, replace the stock ESC with the Hobby Wing Quickrun WP1080. The HW1080 and the stock Traxxas Titan 550 21T motor work surprisingly well together. I would not recommend the Traxxas BEC because it is weak and rated at 6v 3a output it is expensive for what you get. The Castle Creations 10A BEC is a much better choice or the HeyOK "NO Brainer" BEC is also a good choice. Both the CC and HeyOK BECs can be programmed for higher voltage output if needed. It is my understanding (I don't own the Traxx) that you are not supposed to run in high gear when the Traxx are installed. The other thing about the Traxx is they appear to be lousy at rock crawling, they are clearly designed for soft sand, snow and mud. Your TRX4 will perform much better overall with tires.

amigaman 05-19-2019 10:57 AM

@brianmcbride99
Yeah, i don't have neither traxx nor the 2262 BEC or 2255 servo.
So if the "manual" supplied with traxx and/or servo says "traxx can only be used with 2255 servo" and "2255 servo requires 2262 BEC" then you clearly did something not in the manual and it's yours.
If there's no word like this you may be lucky and could be in traxxas arms.

The 2262 will most likely not really help but bring the limits a bit up. No one really knows what it is able to supply, so i won't say it'll fix it.
If i were you i'd use a JX 46kg servo supplied by a Castle 10A BEC. All the rest can be done by the ESC, which i'll replace with a 1080 on 6V, so the gear and diff servos and the Rx will not burn out and have stable power regardless of what the steering has to do.

Same goes for gearing and shifting: Does the traxx manual state anything about pinion or if the traxx should be used in low gear only?
I bet with stock pinion and high gear you'll grind up the slipper and traxx really quick.

Brianmcbride99 05-19-2019 11:36 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and ordered the replacement Traxxas ESC and the Traxxas recommended BEC, so I will roll with that and see how it fares. If the ESC fries again, will replace with the hobbywing 1080.

And, just an FYI I was only operating it in low gear on the transmission.
Also, in regards to Traxxas’ wording, there is NOTHING that states either the BEC or upgraded servo are required, just recommended.

Thanks again!

amigaman 05-19-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianmcbride99 (Post 5935880)
Also, in regards to Traxxas’ wording, there is NOTHING that states either the BEC or upgraded servo are required, just recommended.

Then i'd say they're responsible and should give you replacements.

Brianmcbride99 05-21-2019 08:01 PM

Just a follow up, Traxxas is sending a replacement ESC and Motor.

Inspector86 05-22-2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianmcbride99 (Post 5936646)
Just a follow up, Traxxas is sending a replacement ESC and Motor.

Sell that ESC and use the money to buy the HW1080. You will be MUCH better off!