Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Bowhouse vs Injora low cg Battery tray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Bowhouse vs Injora low cg Battery tray

I know the Bowhouse is the go-to around here, but the Injora caught my eye the other day. It seems that the tray might be flat, and gets more of the battery down lower? It also looks like it may not accept a full size(3s 5000+ mah) battery.

Anyone looked at then side by side. Any input.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2019, 06:26 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Bowhouse vs Injora low cg Battery tray

I have the original 3D printed version from Bowhouse with the crossmember for the long packs and have no regrets. I hadn't seen the KYX/Injora tray until reading your post but I notice that there are no side-on pictures to be found. It's hard to tell if the Injora tray will get the battery as low as the original.

Here in Indonesia the Mamba Monster X was the best ESC available so that's what I got and the ESC fits nicely on top of the forward part of the Bowhouse tray. I tried Dual lock, 3M and Velcro branded hook and loop but it pulls away from the 3D printed plastic so the cable ties were necessary.

Price of the Chinese tray looks cheap enough and will probably work okay but there are two issues that I have with the LCG trays. The first is that, while lowering the CG, they also move it a little rearwards. The second is that there is only one slot for the battery strap. With more experience crawling I use shorty packs more often now which helps fix the rearward change of the CG and reduces overall weight. The strap position could be better for these.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:20 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigg View Post
I have the original 3D printed version from Bowhouse with the crossmember for the long packs and have no regrets. I hadn't seen the KYX/Injora tray until reading your post but I notice that there are no side-on pictures to be found. It's hard to tell if the Injora tray will get the battery as low as the original.

Here in Indonesia the Mamba Monster X was the best ESC available so that's what I got and the ESC fits nicely on top of the forward part of the Bowhouse tray. I tried Dual lock, 3M and Velcro branded hook and loop but it pulls away from the 3D printed plastic so the cable ties were necessary.

Price of the Chinese tray looks cheap enough and will probably work okay but there are two issues that I have with the LCG trays. The first is that, while lowering the CG, they also move it a little rearwards. The second is that there is only one slot for the battery strap. With more experience crawling I use shorty packs more often now which helps fix the rearward change of the CG and reduces overall weight. The strap position could be better for these.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feed back. I am probably going to buy a 2200 mah pack if i buy the low cg tray regardless of which i go with. The other concern i have is will the injora interfere with the upper rear links? I assume not but i can currently get my links to bump the stock battery tray.

Last edited by mass-hole; 08-22-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I wanted to update everyone on this. I bought the Injora/KYX battery tray because it was cheap and flat and I just wanted to check it out for my own curiosity. My suspicions about the tray hitting the rear links turned out to be true. It's actually worse than I thought. I mean this is straight up a terrible design, like I doubt they even test fit it on a truck.

So first of all, here it is next to the stock tray. The tray basically sits at the same level as the bottom of the tub in the stock tray:

It does bolt right up with very little drama, no issues there:

It does NOT fit my 5300 mah Gens Ace battery:

It does fit this new 2200 mah battery I bought:

Now here is the bad part. The top of the rear diff, where the link mount is, hits the tray. But its not even close. I have like another 10mm of travel left when it does hit, and even just side to side articulation causes rubbing on the tray:

I mean, they literally must not have even bolted this too a truck. Or they just don't care and figured doofuses like me would buy one anyways. I am probably going to cut the tray back to the rear "u" mount and see if that gives enough clearance for the links.

Go with the Bowhouse.

Last edited by mass-hole; 09-05-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Trimmed it back to see if it would help.

Before:

After:

Still sucks:

Old 09-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Yikes. That's really bad.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
Yikes. That's really bad.
Yeah. Just get the Bowhouse tray, this isnt even worth the aluminum it was bent out of. To make it work you basically have to chop it up and probably could just fabricate your own out of some aluminum sheet from home depot in the same amount of time.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #8

I'm not surprised since Injora doesn't do any real engineering.

But are you convinced the Bowhouse tray helps performance?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:23 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Hitting the links like that isnt a big deal to most since a truck normally doesn't compress like that. 90% of the time its side to side. do the links hit during articulation?
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
Hitting the links like that isnt a big deal to most since a truck normally doesn't compress like that. 90% of the time its side to side. do the links hit during articulation?
Yeah they did when the tray was full length. Once I cut them back it didnt during full articulation, but still did pretty bad on compression.

My issue is that I think its would be fairly close to contact just driving around.

I am working on notching the tray to make a little extra clearance for the links to come up. If I can get most of my compression back straight up and down I will cool with it.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:43 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'm not surprised since Injora doesn't do any real engineering.

But are you convinced the Bowhouse tray helps performance?
Yes, I think it does. Especially if you pair it with a smaller battery. If you are running a 5000+ mah battery and its sticking way up into the rear shock tower then maybe not.

Overall reviews of them seem to suggest immediate improvement though.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:38 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Here is the final outcome:

Old 09-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Modified it more lol. Its slowly becoming a bowhouse tray:

This will put it with a mm or so of the rear driveshaft yoke. Gets everything as low as possible.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:41 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Old 09-14-2019, 10:21 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

My links hit the stock tray in the pocket for a smaller pack. Made my own replacement out of sheet Kydex.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote

Bowhouse vs Injora low cg Battery tray - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BowHouse Injection Molded Low CG Battery Tray at RPP durok Traxxas TRX-4 23 11-07-2019 08:33 AM
Mamba Monster X and Bowhouse Low CG battery tray bbrigg Traxxas TRX-4 8 09-13-2018 06:45 AM
New competition low CG battery tray SMALLVILLE Traxxas TRX-4 16 02-21-2018 05:46 PM