RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   TRX4 Overdrive vs Underdrive Gearing Options (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/608916-trx4-overdrive-vs-underdrive-gearing-options.html)

Still Bill 05-23-2019 12:18 PM

TRX4 Overdrive vs Underdrive Gearing Options

After having installed both the overdrive (12/33) and underdrive (10/35) gearing in the axles of my TRX4 Sport, I decided that both provided too much difference in the front to rear rotations of the wheels...especially when sidehilling.

So...which end should be replaced with the stock gearing (11/34)?

Initially thought that it shouldn't make any difference...But, I was wrong as follows:

- Underdrive with a 10T pinion and 35T spur has a ratio of 3.50.
- Standard with an 11T pinion and 34T spur has a ratio of 3.09.
- Overdrive with a 12T pinion and 33T spur has a ratio of 2.75.

So, the difference between Underdrive and Standard is 0.41 compared to Overdrive and Standard being 0.34. So, some minor tuning is possible when picking between these two options because Underdrive gearing is a 20% greater gearing increase than Overdrive.

Thinking I will be keeping the Underdrive at this point.

Comments?

Topher Builds 05-23-2019 12:25 PM

Re: TRX4 Overdrive vs Underdrive Gearing Options

You’ll want the front spinning faster than the rear, so put the stock up front and under in the rear.

B-MOW71 05-23-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pant Danza (Post 5937212)
You’ll want the front spinning faster than the rear, so put the stock up front and under in the rear.

This is what I did and it works great!"thumbsup"

JC3 05-23-2019 05:06 PM

I went from overdriving the front to underdriving the rear. I like it much better.

dr frankenstyle 05-23-2019 07:01 PM

The other advantage to UD's is lower overall gear ratio. I ran with UD and stock for a while and liked it. I just recently put in the OD's too and I like it even better, but i guess it all depends where and how you drive. :)

8) jim

Stormin2u 05-24-2019 11:32 AM

I like it with both over and under for the tighter steering radius. I've seen no adverse effects on performance.

Topher Builds 05-24-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormin2u (Post 5937534)
I like it with both over and under for the tighter steering radius. I've seen no adverse effects on performance.

Same, I have both in one trx4 and just the OD in another (UD was sold out) and they drive similar enough. I’m never really going fast enough for the gearing distance to matter.

MaX-D 08-23-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still Bill (Post 5937203)
After having installed both the overdrive (12/33) and underdrive (10/35) gearing in the axles of my TRX4 Sport, I decided that both provided too much difference in the front to rear rotations of the wheels...especially when sidehilling.

So...which end should be replaced with the stock gearing (11/34)?

Initially thought that it shouldn't make any difference...But, I was wrong as follows:

- Underdrive with a 10T pinion and 35T spur has a ratio of 3.50.
- Standard with an 11T pinion and 34T spur has a ratio of 3.09.
- Overdrive with a 12T pinion and 33T spur has a ratio of 2.75.

So, the difference between Underdrive and Standard is 0.41 compared to Overdrive and Standard being 0.34. So, some minor tuning is possible when picking between these two options because Underdrive gearing is a 20% greater gearing increase than Overdrive.

Thinking I will be keeping the Underdrive at this point.

Comments?

I'm new to this so forgive me, so what you're saying is you're leaving the standard gearing up front but putting the underdrive gears in the rear. This will give you 20% gear reduction, where if you had done overdrive in the front and standard in the rear the gear reduction percentage would have been less?

So it's better to go with the former set up with the 20%?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

mass-hole 08-23-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaX-D (Post 5957952)
I'm new to this so forgive me, so what you're saying is you're leaving the standard gearing up front but putting the underdrive gears in the rear. This will give you 20% gear reduction, where if you had done overdrive in the front and standard in the rear the gear reduction percentage would have been less?

So it's better to go with the former set up with the 20%?

I think what he meant is that the change is 20% greater by underdriving the rear which I do no think it right. I think what he did was .41/.34 =1.2

But really you should be trying to understand the change vs the slower axle. So you underdrive the rear and leave the front stock and you end up with (3.50/3.09)-1 = 13.2% wheel speed difference.

If you overdrive the front and leave the rear stock you end up with (3.09/2.75)-1 = 12.4% wheel speed difference, so basically the same. Its not 20% different.

Over/under driving results in (3.50/2.75)-1= 27.2% difference in wheel speed.

I would imagine the advantage to underdriving the rear only would be that your overall gear ratios are lower than overdriving the front.

MaX-D 08-23-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mass-hole (Post 5957955)
I think what he meant is that the change is 20% greater by underdriving the rear which I do no think it right. I think what he did was .41/.34 =1.2

But really you should be trying to understand the change vs the slower axle. So you underdrive the rear and leave the front stock and you end up with (3.50/3.09)-1 = 13.2% wheel speed difference.

If you overdrive the front and leave the rear stock you end up with (3.09/2.75)-1 = 12.4% wheel speed difference, so basically the same. Its not 20% different.

Over/under driving results in (3.50/2.75)-1= 27.2% difference in wheel speed.

I would imagine the advantage to underdriving the rear only would be that your overall gear ratios are lower than overdriving the front.

Ok, now I get it. Thank you.

mewalsh100 09-15-2019 12:47 PM

If you’re only going to do one, under-drive the rear. I typically don’t do both OD and UD on any of my rigs. I’ve tried it on my Wraith, and if I was just straight rock crawling, I could see sticking with it. But, most of my rigs get trailed and crawled, so UD rear seems to be the sweet spot for me. A bigger % difference in ratio from front to rear can make the rig fickle when side hilling.

punkindrublik 09-15-2019 10:05 PM

I use both. Love it. "thumbsup"