Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Lower gearing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2019, 04:27 AM   #1

Default Lower gearing

Hello, has anyone put a larger spur gear than a 45t on a trx4? I've got a 9t pinion 45t spur allready and I'd like to go a bit lower. Right now the only option I know that would fit is an underdrive ring and pinion.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
sfatoyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2019, 05:26 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Lower gearing

Go to a higher turn motor. I run the Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 27t with 9t pinion and 45 spur. Top speed in high gear is around 8mph. Not fast enough to blow donuts but enough wheelspeed to get up loose terrain hills. Allot of torque gained that way. Doing underdrive front and rear will slow it down but cost way more then throwing a different turn motor in it.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfatoyota View Post
Hello, has anyone put a larger spur gear than a 45t on a trx4? I've got a 9t pinion 45t spur allready and I'd like to go a bit lower. Right now the only option I know that would fit is an underdrive ring and pinion.

Thoughts?

Thanks

I run 9/45 as well and have looked for a way to lower the gearing further, but have yet to get it done. I'm interested as well if anyone has done something that works well. I've also considered underdriving front and rear, but not sure it will make enough of a difference for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Go to a higher turn motor. I run the Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 27t with 9t pinion and 45 spur. Top speed in high gear is around 8mph. Not fast enough to blow donuts but enough wheelspeed to get up loose terrain hills. Allot of torque gained that way. Doing underdrive front and rear will slow it down but cost way more then throwing a different turn motor in it.
Going to a lower turn motor is not the same thing as lowering your gear ratio.
KV242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:03 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I'm running an 8t pinion and the 45 spur. I'm also running the all alloy motor mount and a Holmes Torquemaster, but the mod' I did may work on the stock set-up too.
By using the "not quite directly opposite" holes in the motor, and then using the "A" and "3" holes in the mount, the gear mesh turned out perfect. All that is needed is a little filing on the screw holes, as they're a little too wide apart. Here's a pic'.

You can see the screw set-up. It drops the overall gearing over 10 percent. Again, it may not work with all motors, not sure about the stock mount either. But it is an option, and I love the set-up in mine. It's probably part of what gives me an edge over my buddies.
Oh, just remembered .... that motor has a longer shaft, so I made a spacer to set it back 2 mm too.

jim

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 05-29-2019 at 12:07 PM. Reason: DOH!!
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:02 PM   #5

I have been looking at some of the planetary gear reduction units. Not sure if I'll have enough clearance.

Thinking about ordering a 50t or 55t spur gear to see if I could make that work.

sfatoyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:23 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
I'm running an 8t pinion and the 45 spur. I'm also running the all alloy motor mount and a Holmes Torquemaster, but the mod' I did may work on the stock set-up too.
By using the "not quite directly opposite" holes in the motor, and then using the "A" and "3" holes in the mount, the gear mesh turned out perfect. All that is needed is a little filing on the screw holes, as they're a little too wide apart. Here's a pic'.

You can see the screw set-up. It drops the overall gearing over 10 percent. Again, it may not work with all motors, not sure about the stock mount either. But it is an option, and I love the set-up in mine. It's probably part of what gives me an edge over my buddies.
Oh, just remembered .... that motor has a longer shaft, so I made a spacer to set it back 2 mm too.

jim

I did something similar on my rock rey. Running a 9T pinion there when 10T is normally the smallest.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower gearing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High Turn Motor & Long Gearing vs Low Turn Motor & Short Gearing. Hardcoretam Electronics 11 03-15-2017 11:23 PM
Does any one know how to get lower gearing into the nylint!?!? '75 Bronco General Crawlers 6 06-29-2006 08:38 PM
Lower gearing on x factor??? Crawla XTM Crawler 4 04-07-2004 06:12 PM