Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Trx4 Sport..what are some must have mods?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2019, 01:55 AM   #1

Default Trx4 Sport..what are some must have mods?

So..I built a trx4 Sport kit the other day. I must say..I'm really enjoying the slower paced, more technical crawling RC..versus breaking my yeti score every trip.

So..just curious, what are some must have upgrades or mods you've done?
So far I've done:

Flipped front/rear bumper mounts upside down..but haven't trimmed the body at all. I just raised the body towers all the way..seems to fit pretty good, with the rear a tiny bit taller than front. I'll probably trim it soon. Anyone swap rear to front, front to rear?

I drilled holes in the stock tire foams (pita, really) to soften them up a bit

I bought some $15 dollar 40gm/each portal covers..kinda wishing I had went bigger. These were brass identical to plastic replacements. Anyone add wheel hub spacers or weights or whatever?

I just cut the trailer hitch off the rear bumper today, but haven't ran it yet. Just took a hack saw to it..came off surprisingly clean. Even after flipping the bumper, think it was catching. Had to go.

----

Future stuff I'm thinking about..is overdriving front or under driving rear. I probably won't do both, due to cost..but who knows.

I also want to raise the skid plates. Seems relatively easy..just buy longer m3 bolts and throw some kind of spacer in there? Anyone done this? Any issues?

Anyway, lemme know what you've done. If I could find some inexpensive metal rims, I'd definitely go with some of those, too. I think that would keep my balance in tact, while adding weight all around..but they're so damn expensive, haha.

Here's my trx4, freshly built and first time crawling ever. Super stoked on it so far, haha.

https://youtu.be/gQiT98F_toQ
Exalted85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2019, 01:49 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Trx4 Sport..what are some must have mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exalted85 View Post

So..I built a trx4 Sport kit the other day. I must say..I'm really enjoying the slower paced, more technical crawling RC..versus breaking my yeti score every trip.

So..just curious, what are some must have upgrades or mods you've done?
So far I've done:

Flipped front/rear bumper mounts upside down..but haven't trimmed the body at all. I just raised the body towers all the way..seems to fit pretty good, with the rear a tiny bit taller than front. I'll probably trim it soon. Anyone swap rear to front, front to rear?

I drilled holes in the stock tire foams (pita, really) to soften them up a bit

I bought some $15 dollar 40gm/each portal covers..kinda wishing I had went bigger. These were brass identical to plastic replacements. Anyone add wheel hub spacers or weights or whatever?

I just cut the trailer hitch off the rear bumper today, but haven't ran it yet. Just took a hack saw to it..came off surprisingly clean. Even after flipping the bumper, think it was catching. Had to go.

----

Future stuff I'm thinking about..is overdriving front or under driving rear. I probably won't do both, due to cost..but who knows.

I also want to raise the skid plates. Seems relatively easy..just buy longer m3 bolts and throw some kind of spacer in there? Anyone done this? Any issues?

Anyway, lemme know what you've done. If I could find some inexpensive metal rims, I'd definitely go with some of those, too. I think that would keep my balance in tact, while adding weight all around..but they're so damn expensive, haha.

Here's my trx4, freshly built and first time crawling ever. Super stoked on it so far, haha.

https://youtu.be/gQiT98F_toQ
I also flipped the bumpers, but I did the rock slider lift as well so that it meets the body. I printed some 11mm spacers out of carbon filament and voila.

I also printed an LCG battery tray that I really like as well. As for rims, take a look at the RC4WD steelies. Nice beadlocks for about $50 a set.

punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:30 PM   #3

Nice. 11mm. That looks good. Do you remember what size m3 screws you used to accommodate the spacers?

50..that ain't bad. I'll def check it out.
Exalted85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:40 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exalted85 View Post
Nice. 11mm. That looks good. Do you remember what size m3 screws you used to accommodate the spacers?

50..that ain't bad. I'll def check it out.
I had some 22mm screws laying around that worked perfectly.

Yeah, check out their selection.
https://store.rc4wd.com/19-Wheels_c_59-1-1.html

If you search for whatever model you want (model number usually works for me) you can find them shipped free from ebay or Amazon.
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Take a very thin metal saw blade and cut treps in the stock tires. They are very good tires after the mod. Get some cheap steel beadlock wheels will add good weight down low.. Also get a 1500 mah battery and mount it up front. cuts down on some total overall weight while adding weight over the front axel..

Edit;
When you raise the sliders cut the lip off. It will help not sticking on rocks..

Last edited by pyroM!KE; 08-11-2019 at 11:28 AM.
pyroM!KE is offline   Reply With Quote

Trx4 Sport..what are some must have mods? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 or TRX4 Sport Kit? Help please. m4inbrain Traxxas Crawlers 13 09-01-2021 07:47 AM
Traxxas Trx4 sport body & bumper mods upgrade for better crawling ability! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 12-10-2018 11:35 AM
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM