Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: team garage hack rc concepts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default team garage hack rc concepts

hi guys has any on used this company before I m considering there trans/ mount for a build any input welcome
steven318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2018, 06:52 AM   #2

Default Re: team garage hack rc concepts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redemon View Post
Lots of people will.
Sadly, that's probably true. It'll especially be true if somehow it catches on as the flavor of the month on Facebook.

But the kit doesn't seem to fix any real issues that can't be done with other, cheaper methods.

I've never heard of people asking for a high clearance skid plate on the TRX-4 since it has these things called portals. And overdrive can be accomplished with a simple gear swap. Maybe there's something missing, but I don't understand the need for this kit.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:04 AM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I have one and it is by far the best bolt in hop up to the TRX I have seen or used. The best bolt in mod to any vehicle I have owned, to be honest. It does not raise the CG. The tummy tuck really upped the capability of my modded rig. There are a few sections in my yard that stock rigs (without body) simply can't do. My modded TRX walks those sections now, even with zero added weight and stock tires. Link geometry is really good , also has choices for the rear upper link mounts to tune antisquat. The creator of the kit is a competitive driver from Colorado that seems to understand vehicle dynamics, and his main test driver just pulled a first place at King of Missouri. Pretty sure they took something like 7 out of 9 trophies at scale nats this year too. I got to hang out with the TGH crew this weekend, a good group of people.

The OD/UD can be accomplished with gears, certainly. But, doing it inside the tranny instead of OD front gears reduces torque twist. The kit hit the OD% perfectly IMO. It pulls hard and turns sharp but isn't unpredictable.

While I would agree that the price is on the higher side ($225), it is made with US cut gears, high quality bearings, and is a completely bolt and play installation. There has obviously been a lot of time spent to design the kit. No cutting or modifying needed to install, which is a huge bonus IMO. The printing quality is top notch and I am extremely picky about prints. I couldn't do it any cheaper trying to home fab one, even without paying for my own time to develop it. Add in the time saved with it simply bolting in and I'm totally on board at this price. I have PLENTY of other rigs that I spent a LOT more money and time on that are not as capable. It's about the same cost as some fancy wheels and tires, or some kinda low quality ebay aluminum axles that won't give any more performance. But plenty of people will buy those axles without batting an eye at the price, right?

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one if a performance TRX4 is wanted, they are pretty dagum badass little kits.

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 10-24-2018 at 08:08 AM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:25 AM   #4

Just did the math on using traxxas OD/UD gears, and its about 22% dig ratio. That's $80 in gears plus time, so let's say $100 to get more torque twist and not quite enough OD to get a solid dig IMO. The TGH kit is right at 30%, and right on the money for ratio IMO.

Also looks like my modded rig is 12.5 ounces lighter now. Thats a lot more weight loss than I thought. I'm using a BR mini controller, Custom Pro 540 rock crawler motor (13XX skewed arm), and kept the diff lockers.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #5

If you have the facebooks, here is a live video they did and it actually has Johns TRX-4 in it if I'm not mistaken.

https://www.facebook.com/teamgarageh...6836891/?t=190
MADPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:43 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The reason i was looking was im building my trx 4 from parts instead of buying the kit and haven't decided on what transmission and transfer case to use as of yet. The hpi venture was close to what i had imagined would suit my build but then i came across this on face book , but wanted to hear some feedback on the parts made bye them. Im not so sure on 3d printed parts yet. they say if gives better link geometry but i haven't herd any one complain yet about the stock setup
steven318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:15 PM   #7

The stock geometry is great. This kit certainly isn't worse, and that is important to consider. There are companies that will sell parts that screw up the suspension, but look good.

3d printed parts are as good as the designer and printer. I'm very picky on printed parts. These are made very well and designed appropriately for printing limitations.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:08 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I just purchased a pair of TRX4 frame rails off CL for $5. Looking to do a bit different build with this one. I may have to give this kit some thought.

Last edited by Inspector86; 10-24-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADPolo View Post
If you have the facebooks, here is a live video they did and it actually has Johns TRX-4 in it if I'm not mistaken.

https://www.facebook.com/teamgarageh...6836891/?t=190
Nothing impressive about that video since they don't have a body on it. Putting a body on an RC changes performance drastically. I'm sure they were just trying to showcase their product, but it doesn't show the real performance. I'd like to see them run that again with a body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
The stock geometry is great. This kit certainly isn't worse, and that is important to consider. There are companies that will sell parts that screw up the suspension, but look good.

3d printed parts are as good as the designer and printer. I'm very picky on printed parts. These are made very well and designed appropriately for printing limitations.
I agree that good geometry being so important and not everybody gets that.

I also agree that 3D printed parts vary by designer, the machine, and the printing method. But FDM 3D printed parts aren't as good as machined or molded parts and it's crazy when people ask stupid money for 3D printed parts.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:43 AM   #10

I’m glad that you saw through the trickery of running without a body since the tummy tuck, OD, geometry, and weight loss are completely reliant on running a body too. I’m sure my 040 lexan will totally negate all performance gains the kit made, might as well go back to stock now.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:31 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I’m glad that you saw through the trickery of running without a body since the tummy tuck, OD, geometry, and weight loss are completely reliant on running a body too. I’m sure my 040 lexan will totally negate all performance gains the kit made, might as well go back to stock now.

So running a body doesn't change the center of gravity or affect performance at all? You could put a Defender body on there with all the scale accessories you want and it would crawl the exact same way?
Up'n'Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:47 AM   #12

Quote:

Of course the changes you mentioned, when done right, help performance. But I never once felt the need for a tummy tuck on the TRX-4 since it has all the ground clearance from the portals.

You know that adding a body, even a thin body, does change the capabilities of a truck. That was my point. A chassis barely making a climb will most likely not make that same climb when you raise the center of gravity with a body.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #13

Of course it matters, if we were comparing bodies. The rig will be more capable with this kit, no matter what body. Bodies are an additional factor. If you want performance climbs and sidehills, use a little lexan. If you want scale, throw on a 2 pound body. Either way, we can negate most body caused CG increases with low slung weight , which is just another factor that isn’t part of this kit. It’s a moving goalpost.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:45 AM   #14

Default team garage hack rc concepts

I recently built a TRX based c2 truck with team garage hack Creeper transmission. The transmission is simple, light and puts out perfect over under drives. I agree with John that the steering is very “predictable”. No pushing on hard turns. It came with skid and other brackets so installation was easy and build quality is quite good. The guy behind the company is very easy to talk to and even helped me with the build as well. I do have another trx 4 with stock trans with over under diff gears. I do prefer creeper trans setup because of simplicity and weight advantage. I drove this rig at local SORRCA competition last weekend and placed 1st.
I used it only for 3 weeks or so and so far it hasn’t caused any problems. I don’t have experience with the new trx specific trans yet though.

Last edited by CRAWLER75; 10-29-2018 at 12:48 AM.
CRAWLER75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:37 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Would the TGH trans mount up to custom chassies like Brazin or others? The weight saving with the TGH trans would be very welcom on my c2 TRX. It looks like it will be possible to use this trans with a custom chassis.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:10 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Also looks like my modded rig is 12.5 ounces lighter now. Thats a lot more weight loss than I thought.
That’s a two speed TRX trans compared to the singel speed TGH trans?
So the difference betweeen a singel speed TRX trans and the THG will be a lot less?
I’m really interested in the THG trans, but love my 2 speed for the extra wheelspinn when needed. With the two speed I can live with a cheap brushed motor setup. I’m using a trailmaster sport 550 now, and it does very well.

But my main goal is to loose weight above the axles before next comp season, so a new gearbox and a brushless system might be needed then.

Anyone got some more pictures of the gearbox mounted?
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:08 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Any updates on these? It's been a couple months and just wanted to see what the guys that bought these think of them? I see the price has dropped a bit.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:38 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I would like to know what's going on as well. Any updates?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:02 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
I would like to know what's going on as well. Any updates?

It's not even on the website
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:18 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
It's not even on the website
I guess it didn't sell too well.

MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote

team garage hack rc concepts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garage Rehab - Ruff and FUGLY paint the garage JoeConti Scale Videos! 0 11-28-2017 02:07 AM
Flysky GT3B Hack PSX's Custom Firmware 0.61 How to hack? 8 channel 4-wheel steering D boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 06-22-2013 12:15 AM
HUGE thanks to TEAM VANQUISH,TEAM T1E,TEAM 3051 SPAD RC Rock Crawling Worlds 13 09-02-2009 08:42 PM
To hack or not to hack? gobucks Tamiya TLT Crawlers 9 05-25-2006 01:01 PM