Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Stuck with pinion sizing...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2019, 01:43 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Stuck with pinion sizing...

I’ve just bought a Castle MambaX ESC and a 3800kv Castle motor for Mubarak defender TRX4. It came my way as a bit of a bargain that I couldn’t say no, however the motor has a 5mm shaft so I need a altogether different pinion.

I am quite happy with its stock performance, I would like a little more top end speed for trailing but also I love crawling so having the 2 speed and low down control is a godsend!

Now as I’m in a position where I’m changing many variables and needing to replace the pinion I considered changing the teeth count but what I’m struggling with is what effect it would give...

I know I can go from 9t to 16t (11t out the box I believe) with a 45t spur however what effect will each end of the ‘pinion spectrum’ give me in terms of capability, wheels speed etc, any adverse effects by going one instead of the other?
CoupeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2019, 09:06 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Stuck with pinion sizing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeUK View Post
I’ve just bought a Castle MambaX ESC and a 3800kv Castle motor for Mubarak defender TRX4. It came my way as a bit of a bargain that I couldn’t say no, however the motor has a 5mm shaft so I need a altogether different pinion.

I am quite happy with its stock performance, I would like a little more top end speed for trailing but also I love crawling so having the 2 speed and low down control is a godsend!

Now as I’m in a position where I’m changing many variables and needing to replace the pinion I considered changing the teeth count but what I’m struggling with is what effect it would give...

I know I can go from 9t to 16t (11t out the box I believe) with a 45t spur however what effect will each end of the ‘pinion spectrum’ give me in terms of capability, wheels speed etc, any adverse effects by going one instead of the other?
A 16T will go faster(theoretically 45% faster) but also give you less torque at the wheel and less low speed control.

And a 9T will go slower(about 18% slower) but will increase torque multiplication and improve low speed performance.

I think you probably need to test out the motor and decide where to go. The pinions are not that expensive. But my guess is 3800 kV is going to be very fast and you are going to want to gear pretty low if not right at a 9T. You may not find a 9T due to the 5mm shaft, not sure, but it may have to be a 10 or 11. Be aware that Mod .8 and 32 pitch gears are basically the same and can be used interchangably so that may open some options.

Last edited by mass-hole; 08-29-2019 at 09:10 AM.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:34 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Stuck with pinion sizing...

5mm 32p pinions go down to 8t, you can find 9t from robinson or hot racing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stuck with pinion sizing... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti pinion gear sizing with stock spur? norco kid Axial Yeti 5 06-29-2015 06:39 PM
Pinion stuck natskiboy Newbie General 1 02-23-2013 08:42 AM
pinion gear screw stuck philtSF505 Newbie General 15 01-20-2010 07:19 AM
Pinion allen key sizing wallaz Tamiya TLT Crawlers 7 05-11-2007 03:06 PM