Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Any way to change 2nd gear top speed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2019, 06:40 PM   #1

Default Any way to change 2nd gear top speed?

I love the 2 speed on the TRX4 and its one of the reasons i got it, but 2nd gear doesnt go as fast as id like it! 1st gear is great and id rather not change the pinion which will compromise crawling speed. Any way i can change just the 2nd gear top speed? My 3s battery runs it to 6-7 in 1st and 12 ish in 2nd. Id like to hit 25+ so i can run my dog down we have a few acres so cruising in the back yard is a necessity!
TRX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2019, 07:24 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Any way to change 2nd gear top speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX4 View Post
I love the 2 speed on the TRX4 and its one of the reasons i got it, but 2nd gear doesnt go as fast as id like it! 1st gear is great and id rather not change the pinion which will compromise crawling speed. Any way i can change just the 2nd gear top speed? My 3s battery runs it to 6-7 in 1st and 12 ish in 2nd. Id like to hit 25+ so i can run my dog down we have a few acres so cruising in the back yard is a necessity!
No

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:44 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

The ratio of first to second is fixed, neither there are buyable gears to change, nor is there space available to change to largely different diameters.
The only way is to change the overall gearing (with pinion and spur gear) which will speed up the lower setting, too.

A try would be to drive with a sensored BL kit, small pinion and bigger spur. I'd still say reaching that top speed will result in unusable low gear and high strain on it while climbing a hill or something.
Never tried it though.
amigaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigaman View Post
The ratio of first to second is fixed, neither there are buyable gears to change, nor is there space available to change to largely different diameters.
The only way is to change the overall gearing (with pinion and spur gear) which will speed up the lower setting, too.

A try would be to drive with a sensored BL kit, small pinion and bigger spur. I'd still say reaching that top speed will result in unusable low gear and high strain on it while climbing a hill or something.
Never tried it though.
Thats what i thought, its kind of a shame there's no way to do it. On the bright side, literally everything else can be modified on it! Lol
TRX4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Any way to change 2nd gear top speed? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faster 2nd gear while leaving crawling gear the same? Blinkfan5150 Vaterra Twin Hammers 10 03-16-2013 08:46 PM
2nd Annual Curtis Bautista Jr. Memorial R/C Top Truck Challenge garage5 Hawaii 114 04-18-2012 12:00 AM
Change Tire Speed jray Newbie General 5 08-01-2011 09:55 PM
Army green 2nd trail run with open top kenworthit Videos! 9 05-09-2010 04:40 AM
gear change?? robert97dodge Newbie General 12 06-25-2008 04:54 PM