Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: topher builds a TRX10.2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2019, 07:13 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: topher builds a TRX10.2

Nice concept and I really like the Raptor body. Looking at the similarities between the TRX-4 rails and the VS4-10 you would kind of expect decent performance with AR44 axles, as long as your gear ratios are in the ballpark and you don't run a huge battery behind the transmission like so many TRX-4s run.

Makes me wonder how a chassis with a bit more axle clearance would work with the TRX-4 portal axles. Something laid out like the VS4-10 for COG but with the extra clearance of the portals without raising the COG too much just might work out.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2019, 09:31 AM   #22
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Yep, they sure do... still listed on their site, and for sale at various vendors...

Very imaginative build!

My brain hurts with all the various mental chassis/axle/transmission combos I've been doing.

However, I have not attempted one dang thing yet.

I have the Vanquish chassis, SSD Pro44s, a practically new TRX-4, and a new Enduro.

The mind reels at all the possibilities!
Sooo did you start yet? excited to see what you come up with D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
DUDE! That thing's a friggin goat!! Impressive! Any problems with tire rub? What compound KLR's were you using? Well done.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Thanks Max! Not really any issues with the tire rubbing, I may try some 4.45 boom racing hustlers on there once I get new foams for them, but that’s mostly just for appearance as the KLR’s look huge in the raptor wheel wells IMO. But they are a killer tire, these are the red compound and still breaking them in. Only the second time they’ve been on the rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
I agree with max-d, that things a goat! Maybe one of these days i can make it out that way n hit some trails with u. Such a beautiful playground u got there topher!

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
Indy that would be sweet! I’d be happy to take anyone from rcc out wheeling around here. Great rocks everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Great pics and awesome video!

Glad to hear and see that it did very good! I like how low the chassis and body sits now. Yeah, a set of VS4-10 axles under it would look sweet!

I might have to add this to my list of winter projects for my TRX-4 Sport!
Thanks BMow! The VS4-10 axle idea is gaining steam since they are readily available. May try and find some take offs next month, unless the ssd offset front axle becomes available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Sweet build and very capable! I want to build something similar, but using the Vanquish chassis instead.
A new Jato build? That’s what I’m talkin about. Do ittt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
i sent off a set of trx4 frame rails and scx10 ii axles to my cousin also sent off scx10ii skid plate but its gona take a long time to finnish cause im buyin the parts lol some day ill do a thread about it but im not doin the build so ill have to rely on his pics and what he says he did lol its realy nice to know that its a good set up although his has a scx skid it should be close to what you have there
You’re a good cousin ferp, hope we hear about this build. Definitely considered going for a Vader skid or something similar so I could use a 10.2 transmission but wanted to see how this would work out first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigg View Post
Nice concept and I really like the Raptor body. Looking at the similarities between the TRX-4 rails and the VS4-10 you would kind of expect decent performance with AR44 axles, as long as your gear ratios are in the ballpark and you don't run a huge battery behind the transmission like so many TRX-4s run.

Makes me wonder how a chassis with a bit more axle clearance would work with the TRX-4 portal axles. Something laid out like the VS4-10 for COG but with the extra clearance of the portals without raising the COG too much just might work out.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
Thanks Brigg. And yessir that was the idea. I’m running a small 3500mah 3s Helios pack in the front tray. Basically everything on the chassis is on the front half of the truck, except for about half of the receiver box.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
A new Jato build? That’s what I’m talkin about. Do ittt.
Thanks! I have the Capra preordered so that's going to be first up.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

those actual KLR or the chinesesium version? That thing is a goat.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #25
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Thanks! I have the Capra preordered so that's going to be first up.
Nice! I haven’t pre-ordered but after seeing how easy it’d be to set up the rear steer I’m seriously considering it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
those actual KLR or the chinesesium version? That thing is a goat.
Thanks Duke! These are the legitimate KLR X4’s in the Vex (Red) compound.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Nice scale garage Topher Danza!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:15 AM   #27
Gold Star Baby!

Little update here. My panhard was a bit long before, spent some time tweaking the steering links again and made some improvements. The axle doesn’t swing out and angle the tire when turning now.

Next should be an offset front axle when I can make it happen.

Quote:
Thanks for the quick video on "The Gram." Would it have made the same lines with the portals?

Just remembered I have a clip of my other trx4 with portals doing that line here... this one is about 9 lbs with a good bit of weight on the axles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Nice scale garage Topher Danza!
Haha thanks Walsh

Last edited by Topher Builds; 09-25-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Little update here. My panhard was a bit long before, spent some time tweaking the steering links again and made some improvements. The axle doesn’t swing out and angle the tire when turning now.

Next should be an offset front axle when I can make it happen.

Just remembered I have a clip of my other trx4 with portals doing that line here... this one is about 9 lbs with a good bit of weight on the axles.
That's damn impressive!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #29
RCC Addict

What he said !!!

MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:43 PM   #30
Gold Star Baby!

Took the mutt out today and ran in my first competition ever. This wasn’t a standard comp but a timed, blind course, where the top 3 got paid. There were 18 or 19 drivers at $10 a head.

I ended up in 4th which I’m happy with, a gate penalty or a bonus gate away from being in the money. The truck did great, the pan hard length seems to be spot on now too.

I’ll have a longer video of the competition together for later but here’s a pic from today for now.

Quote:
That's damn impressive!
Quote:
What he said !!!

Thanks fellas!
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2019, 12:55 PM   #31
RCC Addict

That beautiful red rock reminds me how much I miss the desert. Good job on 4th. Now that you've got some good wheel time on it, do you think the switch from portals helped you or hurt you in a comp environment? Still happy with it?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:01 PM   #32
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
That beautiful red rock reminds me how much I miss the desert. Good job on 4th. Now that you've got some good wheel time on it, do you think the switch from portals helped you or hurt you in a comp environment? Still happy with it?
Thanks J.

The axle swap certainly didn’t hurt, although since I’ve never comped before, with or without portals, it’s hard to say. The truck is predictable and side hills well, definitely has more steering in its current form as well.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:06 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks J.

The axle swap certainly didn’t hurt, although since I’ve never comped before, with or without portals, it’s hard to say. The truck is predictable and side hills well, definitely has more steering in its current form as well.
How do you think this truck compares to one of your other straight axle trucks like the element enduro?

MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:20 PM   #34
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
How do you think this truck compares to one of your other straight axle trucks like the element enduro?

It is much more capable than the enduro, but that’s not too fair of a comparison because these axles have metal tubes from ssd as well as ssd brass steering knuckles so there is a weight advantage.

I have a 10.2 with pro44 axles on it and I’d say these two are fairly close in performance. That one is fairly heavily modified as well.

Danza builds a 10.2 kit

I can say that it is a lot better performer with the axle swap on it than it was before in its mildly modified state. I had yeah racing housings, samix brass portal covers up front, and front overdrive before and it wouldn’t do what the truck does now.

Last edited by Topher Builds; 09-29-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:49 PM   #35
Go Buckeyes!

Default topher builds a TRX10.2

Great job on the 4th place finish! Not too bad for you first comp. Especially being a timed blind course. That adds just a tiny bit more pressure!

Glad to hear “Mutt” did great! Can’t wait to see some video footage!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:05 PM   #36
Gold Star Baby!

Thanks BMow!

I got a lot of video, and tried to get everyone I got clips of in here, so it’s a long one. The clips of the raptor in here are re-enactments since I wasn’t filming during the actual run. The truck that took first is the red Cadillac looking truck, it’s Matt Wolfe’s from Issued LV Scalers, lightweight and very capable build.

Vid and a buncha pics:

Attached Images

Old 09-30-2019, 03:37 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Awesome pics and video - BTW, the "Cadillac looking truck" is a Proline Crowd Pleaser 2.0 SUV, which was sold as an E-Maxx body way back, I had one on mine!

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:49 AM   #38
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Awesome pics and video - BTW, the "Cadillac looking truck" is a Proline Crowd Pleaser 2.0 SUV, which was sold as an E-Maxx body way back, I had one on mine!

Duroklopedia ftw.

That’s real cool, Matt’s sponsored by Proline (same guy that built this beauty, among many others) so it makes sense he had a gem up his sleeve for this season.
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #39
Go Buckeyes!

Great pics and video! Man that looks like it would have been a lot of fun! I would love to crawl some of them red rocks someday. They look like they would be more fun to climb them the slimy moss covered rocks I have in my area!

With all the roll overs, it looks like some of them lines were a bit tough! Raptor looked liked it climb through the course with ease!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #40
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Great pics and video! Man that looks like it would have been a lot of fun! I would love to crawl some of them red rocks someday. They look like they would be more fun to climb them the slimy moss covered rocks I have in my area!

With all the roll overs, it looks like some of them lines were a bit tough! Raptor looked liked it climb through the course with ease!
Hey thanks B! You should consider a trip out here sometime, this time of year (and the next few months really) are prime time for crawling weather. If ya do give it a few days because there are a lot of equally amazing spots a drive away, such as where Proline by the fire is, and of course valley of fire, and then Utah.

The TRX10.2 has been exceeding expectations for sure, I was worried about not having a winch, brought a one strap with me, but didn’t end up needing to use it. It didn’t do everything but it did a lot and did it pretty well.

topher builds a TRX10.2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
topher goes Full Sendero Topher Builds Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 79 12-20-2019 11:45 AM
one of my builds twissted Videos! 0 01-05-2014 01:03 PM
looking for prerunner builds. post builds here wcdfmt510 General Scale Talk 19 06-27-2013 09:48 PM
Where are all the J2-TT Builds? dezrik General Crawlers 7 01-21-2008 02:36 AM