Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Greatscott's TRX-6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2019, 02:55 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Greatscott's TRX-6

I bet the weevolver would make a sweet winch motor.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2019, 07:03 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
If you have cats or kids going under my help you save on toilet paper too!

I can see how the under lines it up better. I have never tried abs myself. I usualy use petg, it's strong but kinda stringy and saggy on bridges. I hear the pla+ is realy nice. My unserstanding is abs warps easily if not in an enclosure and produces toxic fumes. I have an unopened roll I never plan on using.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yup, I want to try ABS, but I have a CR10, so any enclosure I make for it would be giant. I am thinking about buying the new Prusa Mini, it is a lot more compact and would be a lot easier to enclose.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

I have new tires and wheels on order for this guy, its the same tires and wheels I am running on my TRX4.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...t-s-TRX4/page4

I had a thought of putting a spare tire on the back, but I don't know if I like the look of it. I designed a spare tire carrier and printed it out, it works exactly like I want it to, but I don't know if I like the look of it on the truck. If I were planning for this to by a competition rig, there would be no way I would mount it up high.

Thoughts?

Untitled by Scott O, on Flickr

Old 10-27-2019, 09:38 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Its fun, but it is a little nerve-racking when you remove all (or most) of the RTR electronics out of a rig. The only thing I am keeping are two of the mini servos.

I have changed up the design for the winch, I added a mount for the HW1060. The latest design is on the left.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:41 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

So, I have replaced all of the electronics except two of the mini servos for the transmission and back diffs, the front diff will be locked. The wiring isn't 100% tidied up, I am keeping the ESC RX plug easily accessible so I can make adjustments to ESC, if needed. I will likely drop my D-Link in so I can make adjustments while testing.

I do not like the wiring on the Mamba-X, it looks messy and there really isn't much I can do about it.

I might need to relocate the ESC for the winch, I am seeing a little bit of glitching on the Savox servo and it might be because of how close the winch ESC is to the servo.

In the testing I have done, I have found the forward diff being marginally useful being able to be locked and unlocked. To make my radio setup a little easier, I am going to spool up the front diff and leave the back unlockable. I found it very useful to be able to unlock and lock the back diffs. Until I get the spool for the front, I have locked the front locker with some fuel tubing and a couple of zip-ties.

Right now I am waiting on the wheels and tires I ordered. I ordered an extra set to give the TRX4 and TRX6 spare tires. I designed and printed out some spare tire mounts. My original design is on the left, and will work in most places you'd want to mount a spare. But I was thinking of mounting the spare on the tail gate, but the bolt placement on the original design will hit the chassis, so I designed two more to correct for this issue. Most likely I will go with the one in the middle if I do mount the spare on the tailgate.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

I have been doing some redesigning of the Mamba mount. The original mount (left) I download off of Thingiverse. I redesigned it so that it is a bit thicker, and added a bar for zip-tying lose cabling to. This has made for a neater install.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:01 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Well, I think about to put a fork in this thing and call it done... for now.

Now its all about getting it out on the trails and rocks to get it tuned up. The B-Link is installed, so I can make adjustments easily. Everything looks like it is running pretty good, but the ESC is a little sensitive in the reverse direction, so I'll likely adjust the throttle curve a little bit.

Pretty much the only thing left, aside from tuning are the wheels and tires. The tires came in today, but my wheels are likely another week or two out.

One BIG criticism about the TRX4/6 design, the front axle and the servo are perfectly in alignment to make tightening the servo horn screw a bear. Normally I mount the servo, zero the pots and end points, power up the servo, get the horn on as centered as I can, turn it off, tighten the horn, then turn it on and fine tune. With the TRX4/6, you have to center up the horn before the servo is installed. Luckily (and it might be by good design), tightening up the servo horn before I installed the servo worked out.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Had this guy out today for some hard-core testing of the electronics. Overall, I am please with how everything worked.

• The low-speed control is what I expect from a Mamba-X and a decent sensored motor. Low speed control is was excellent in high and low range. I am a little disappointed with the top end speed on 3S, it isn't bad, but I was expecting more. I am running a HW 2500kv motor, and I was expecting a bit more speed than my TRX4 which is running a Castle 1900kv motor with the same gearing.

• I need to move the back diff lock to another control on my DX5R. Right now I have it on the button on the bottom of the steering wheel. This works, but it is annoy not being able to tell if the diffs are locked or not. I thought about setting up an LED that would come on when the diffs are locked, but I don't want to make the electronics any more complicated. Moving the control up to the switch next to the slider will solve this issue.

• The body took more damage than I really wanted it to. It is important to keep the body tucked into the sides, if it comes out the body will hang up and rip. I also have one of the LEDs on the hood that need to be fixed.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

I’ve been meaning to put a *LIKE* on this WHOLE thread. I can clearly see the extra time & love put into this build!

I think you’ve done as good of a job sorting the wiring as anyone could. Too bad the silicon wires can’t take black spray paint and/or aren’t already triple black.
R/C controls YOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Finally on...

I need to make a couple of minor changes to the spare tire mount, then I get it put on.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Great choice on the wheel / tire combo.
bryco13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:59 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Love this rig... that winch looks like an absolute brute! Some very cool things going on here in this thread.

Curious to hear how the new tires work out compared to the old.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:13 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the great comments!!!

Finally got the spare tire rack completed. The first series of rack configurations I made were somewhat generic, and none of them fit the back of the TRX6 body how I wanted it to. Two minutes in Fusion 360 and an hour on the printer and it is done.

by Scott O, on Flickr

by Scott O, on Flickr

by Scott O, on Flickr

For the backing plates I am designing I am putting in points to attach zip tires for lighting cables and such. These have proven useful on a couple of builds. Here I have moved the wiring from the sticky pad to the long backing backing plate.

by Scott O, on Flickr
Old 12-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Starting to populate the bed...

Kind of the same shot, just a little further out...

Old 01-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Lookin Awesome GreatScott!!
Are you running your Mamba X internal BEC at a lower voltage that the mini servos can handle or did you go another route?
I really really like your winch setup!!

Last edited by Summitonslingrs; 01-29-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Summitonslingrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Truly great rig, Scott!

The design and execution of the winch is masterful and the centerpiece of the effort, IMHO. Stunning display from a bubble head
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:23 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Truly great rig, Scott!

The design and execution of the winch is masterful and the centerpiece of the effort, IMHO.
Many thanks!!! The only problem with it is that I have kind of painted myself into a corner. I found a really cool metal bumper and brush guard for this body, but it will not work with the winch. Oh well, it is common in things like this to have to rob Peter to pay Paul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Stunning display from a bubble head
Guilty as charged...
Old 05-10-2020, 05:29 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Great choice on wheels. I like the looks of them much better than stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Finally on...

I need to make a couple of minor changes to the spare tire mount, then I get it put on.

Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:11 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Great choice on wheels. I like the looks of them much better than stock.
Thanks. This is the same combo that I run on one of my TRX4s, really like it...

Here is another mod I have done to this guy, it has its own thread, but it is on this truck...

This allows the body to be put on and the lights power up without having to connect any wires...

I have these spring contacts on the chassis...

And these cup contacts on the body....

by Scott O, on Flickr

Here a think to the thread if you want more info...

TRX6 "No-Wire" Lighting Mod (Maybe TRX4 too)
Old 07-14-2020, 05:35 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01f1502wd View Post
That'd make for a loooooooooooong bed with the power wagon. It may look right if you can get a larger body and 2.2 tires. Seems like Traxxas bodies are larger than the 1:10 aftermarket bodies. comparing the Bronco to a Proline Raptor body, the Raptor should be much much larger...but it's actually smaller
I know it is an old thread...but people still read these.
Attached Images

Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Greatscott's TRX-6 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Greatscott's Rubicon Build Greatscott Axial SCX-10 24 05-10-2021 08:09 PM
Greatscott's RR10 Greatscott Axial RR10 Bomber 48 07-19-2020 11:23 AM
GreatScott's F-350 Blizzard... Greatscott Non Crawler RC's 2 05-29-2020 03:18 PM
Greatscott's TRX4 Greatscott Traxxas TRX-4 17 07-14-2018 11:20 PM
Greatscott's M2 XR-10 Greatscott Axial XR10 94 01-27-2015 11:55 AM