Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Turning transmission around?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 09:29 AM   #1

Default Turning transmission around?

Has anyone or does anyone make anything for flipping the transmission 180? Before I dive into this and start hacking things up I thought I would ask.

Jesse
kingzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Turning transmission around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingzj View Post
Has anyone or does anyone make anything for flipping the transmission 180? Before I dive into this and start hacking things up I thought I would ask.

Jesse

I don't recall seeing it done anywhere on the forums here, but I could be wrong. I have seen some guys use the GRC motor relocation kit, which places the motor up in/near the forward battery tray area. That said, I think most guys that have done it have had troubles with the panhard set up.

Is there a particular reason you're looking to 180 it?
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Have a feeling you will have driveline angle issues unless you also swap axles front to rear and vice versa

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #4

I played with it last night. It can be done with a custom skid plate. The drive angle isn't anywhere close as to some of the angles you see on the axial stuff. The reason for me wanting to do this is to be able to mount the battery where the current motor is. Using a lightweight motor like a revolver and putting the battery that low will make this truck crawl very well. Its not to bad already just needs more cog help.
kingzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingzj View Post
I played with it last night. It can be done with a custom skid plate. The drive angle isn't anywhere close as to some of the angles you see on the axial stuff. The reason for me wanting to do this is to be able to mount the battery where the current motor is. Using a lightweight motor like a revolver and putting the battery that low will make this truck crawl very well. Its not to bad already just needs more cog help.

Seems like a lot of work for minimal, if any improvement. The motor is not gonna be that much lighter than say a 2000mah pack, so in the end you're pretty much just shuffling things around. Plus, as stated above, you will create more severe driveline angles. Maybe not as much as some other rigs as you cited, but why introduce any?

You can get the small battery tray that sits up in front, just ahead of the body mount posts at the same height as the top of the chassis rails, so pretty low and gets that weight even further forward. I commend the idea and effort, but I don't think the juice is gonna be worth the squeeze.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:12 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Yeah, a custom skid that lets the "rear" driveshaft angle to the center differential. Same issue as trying to put AR44s under a TRX, the front shaft conflicts with the skid.
If you really want to do this, go for it, but I too agree this is probably not worth the hassle. Just put the battery beside the trans.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Turning transmission around? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carbon Fiber Transmission Covers for VP XR10 Transmission Housing. Tomy Axles, Trannys, T-case 4 01-20-2013 07:48 AM
turning transmission backwards? trevdogg420 Axial SCX-10 1 12-13-2009 10:44 PM