RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   Kincer's better late than never Sport kit build (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/612291-kincers-better-late-than-never-sport-kit-build.html)

kincer 10-09-2019 08:38 PM

Re: Kincer's better late than never Sport kit build

This is great guys, Thanks a ton!"thumbsup" This will get me headed in the right direction for sure.

TheLetterJ 10-10-2019 12:25 AM

Since we're making more than electronics suggestions here...

Tne thing that has really stood out to me as a worthwhile upgrade is the GRC high clearance knuckle/c-hub set. They give a substantial increase in clearance over the ginormous stock (and pretty much every aftermarket) c-hub, new shock mounting options to get it set really low (or run longer shocks with no change in ride height) and give you the option of running zero, or true Ackerman steering geometry, which can really improve the handling as the pace picks up. Check out this thread about them: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxx...-ackerman.html

From there, I'd find the heaviest front portal covers you can get your hands on, then stop there for adding weight. It's easy to go overboard with brass everything on this platform, but a stripped down sport will run circles around a loaded down brass monkey behemoth, and the lighter truck will break less and handle better at speed.

Even wanting a setup that is capable of higher than average speed, I'd still put underdrive gears in the rear axle. If you want an exceptionally sharp turning Sport, swapping in a rear selectable locker can really help out by unlocking in tight turns, and believe it or not, opening the rear diff can help keep the front end down on really steep climbs by letting it "diff out" instead of trying to backflip. Kind of like a poor man's dig, but it also makes handling more predictable at speed.

Of course there's much more that I'd do to a stock trx4 sport, but those are some of the more stand-out changes I'd suggest.

Full disclosure: I do not own a trx4, but I've worked on and driven them quite a bit, and had been quasi planning a trx4 sport build myself, so that's where my recommendations are coming from. I ended up jumping on the Capra when it was announced instead though, so I'll try to live out my trx build vicariously through you!

mewalsh100 10-10-2019 05:00 AM

X2 on the Samix Brass and Scale Rotors. I did the whole front kit plus scale rotors, and then the rear portal covers with scale rotors. Also did the shock cups and some brass wheel hexes. Seems to be the perfect amount of weight to make the rig climb and crawl well, but still be fun and capable for some basic trailing.

I’d also X2 the Mamba-X. Drag brake “ramp” feature is worth the price of admission alone imho, not withstanding all the other features and adjustability.

OSRC 10-10-2019 06:45 AM

I'm running an older 13.5 Goat Novak system in mine... has no problem throwing the Sport around, even on 2S. Since it's not as heavy as the regular TRX, doesn't need a 550 really imo.

I've found with the portals, the CG is pretty high, even with a plain light body up top. Kind of the nature of the beast. I've added steel axle housings and SSD weights on all 4 corners. It's way better, but still not quite as planted as some solid axle rigs. I'm really nit-picking though, and I don't want to add more weight to be honest - it's fun to wheel and very capable right where it is.

kincer 10-10-2019 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSRC (Post 5968883)
I'm running an older 13.5 Goat Novak system in mine... has no problem throwing the Sport around, even on 2S. Since it's not as heavy as the regular TRX, doesn't need a 550 really imo.

I've found with the portals, the CG is pretty high, even with a plain light body up top. Kind of the nature of the beast. I've added steel axle housings and SSD weights on all 4 corners. It's way better, but still not quite as planted as some solid axle rigs. I'm really nit-picking though, and I don't want to add more weight to be honest - it's fun to wheel and very capable right where it is.

Thanks for your input, gotta sift through all of this and see which way is best for me.

kincer 10-10-2019 10:14 AM

It's a roller, time to go back through this thread and figure out my next order.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...807df65b35.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5afaa8fdca.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4f849ff671.jpg

mewalsh100 10-10-2019 10:20 AM

Liking those wheels!

kincer 10-10-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mewalsh100 (Post 5968944)
Liking those wheels!

Those are the TRX Blazer RTR wheels lol, those will probably stay if I decide to put the Axial 67 C10 body on it. They will work great on that body although they look pretty good with the Sport body too hmmm.[emoji848]

MaX-D 10-10-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topher Builds (Post 5968805)
Midsize tire like Pitbull rockbeast 4.45” and CI 4.25 lil novas
Ssd brass hub pair for rear

Why a midsize Tire and not the bigger 4.75" sized Tire? Just curious that's all

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

smog 10-10-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topher Builds (Post 5968805)
This would be my wishlist if I was trying to build a beast and not worried about being a budget build.

Mamba X
Puller Pro 2700 - the sport is geared somewhat fast, if you go 3300 may want to consider the 45t spur, you’d need a new slipper pad if you do change since it’s adhesive.
Holmes or equivalent servo
Ssd front brass portal covers
Yeah racing front and rear axle housings
Samix Brass chubs v2 (with the shock mounts)
Samix Brass front knuckle
Samix brass diff cover for front
HR high clearance steering link
Overdrive front
Underdrive rear
Rear GRC aluminum chubs with shock mount
Samix front and rear shock towers
Traxxas inner fenders for the front battery tray, or the bowhouse lcg tray and a small battery
Ssd or vp wheels
Midsize tire like Pitbull rockbeast 4.45” and CI 4.25 lil novas
Ssd brass hub pair for rear

There seems to be a lot of X4 guys gravitating to BL systems. I am personally right into sensored systems, though have typically gravitated to running them in my higher high speed rigs (Bomber, TH). Thus far I have kept crawlers/trailers brushed. In your list you have UD/OD in combination with a BL system geared for some quick wheel-speed? Any issues that come with higher speeds and axles geared differently?

Edit : love that list btw, thank you. I am just starting a Sport build myself.

Thanks for the thread Kincer. I am right in on following along

Topher Builds 10-10-2019 11:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaX-D (Post 5968959)
Why a midsize Tire and not the bigger 4.75" sized Tire? Just curious that's all

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Since it already has portals I prefer a tire smaller than 4.75” myself. I’ve ran taller tires before though and they certainly don’t ruin anything, I just prefer a tire that isn’t as tall for the trx4.

Here are a few pics with smaller tires. First pic is the small Proline swampers, second are the vanquish vxt, and third are the cut traxxas canyons.

Also ran the tall hyrax, tall swampers, BFG krawlers, voodoo KLR, and rock beast xl on the trx4. They’re all pretty good tires when it comes down to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smog (Post 5968964)
There seems to be a lot of X4 guys gravitating to BL systems. I am personally right into sensored systems, though have typically gravitated to running them in my higher high speed rigs (Bomber, TH). Thus far I have kept crawlers/trailers brushed. In your list you have UD/OD in combination with a BL system geared for some quick wheel-speed? Any issues that come with higher speeds and axles geared differently?

Edit : love that list btw, thank you. I am just starting a Sport build myself.

Thanks for the thread Kincer. I am right in on following along

My main trx4 has had the OD/UD in with a mamba x and slate 2280 for a while now and I’ve not had any issues. The tail end drags around a little when going all Miami Vice but I do more crawling than trailing so it’s rarely noticeable for my driving style.

smog 10-10-2019 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topher Builds (Post 5968966)

My main trx4 has had the OD/UD in with a mamba x and slate 2280 for a while now and I’ve not had any issues. The tail end drags around a little when going all Miami Vice but I do more crawling than trailing so it’s rarely noticeable for my driving style.

:ror: my kid had me playing smash-up-derby with the crawlers the other day:roll: It was so worth it just to see his joy:ror:

Great pics, your rigs look great.

mewalsh100 10-10-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5968953)
Those are the TRX Blazer RTR wheels lol, those will probably stay if I decide to put the Axial 67 C10 body on it. They will work great on that body although they look pretty good with the Sport body too hmmm.[emoji848]

They look different for some reason. IDK - I kinda like'm on there!"thumbsup"

kincer 10-11-2019 05:28 AM

I just pulled the trigger on the Mamba X and HH 2700 Puller Pro, probably order up some Samix goodies next week."thumbsup"

B-MOW71 10-11-2019 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5969224)
I just pulled the trigger on the Mamba X and HH 2700 Puller Pro, probably order up some Samix goodies next week."thumbsup"

Great choice!"thumbsup"

aqualungs 10-11-2019 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5969224)

Cool! What does that set run, 200ish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kincer 10-11-2019 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aqualungs (Post 5969232)
Cool! What does that set run, 200ish?

I believe the Mamba X was 153 and the puller pro was 95 at RPP I used their monthly 10% discount and knocked some off, I had some other stuff in my order so I'd have to do the math later to see just what the esc and motor cost with discount.

aqualungs 10-11-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5969233)
I believe the Mamba X was 153 and the puller pro was 95 at RPP I used their monthly 10% discount and knocked some off, I had some other stuff in my order so I'd have to do the math later to see just what the esc and motor cost with discount.

Nice!

mewalsh100 10-11-2019 06:37 PM

That’ll be a great set up."thumbsup"

kincer 10-11-2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mewalsh100 (Post 5969407)
That’ll be a great set up."thumbsup"

I hope, never had a brushless scaler just go fast bashers lol