Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Kincer's better late than never Sport kit build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 08:23 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Kincer's better late than never Sport kit build

Ok so I bought this kit when they first came out, then life happened, it sat under my bench in the plastic til this morning. I'm not gonna go through this build step by step as it's been done plenty. This is will be a total beast and I need the recommendations of the seasoned Sport kit owners to get it there. I wanna go brushless with this build but as budget friendly as possible. I want torque and smoothness with wheel speed when needed. I'm going to be running 3s and a castle BEC, also I don't wanna go crazy with weight just what is needed and what you used, budget servo ideas, so what are your recommendations guys?
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2019, 08:26 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Kincer's better late than never Sport kit build

Cool, following along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aqualungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #3
RCC Addict

So far I've got the trans built and the rear axle, the only difference I've done so far is to soak all the bearings in ACF-50 and coat all gears with blue marine grease, man these things are buttery smooth. I'll get to front axle after I get back from my physical exam for UPS job.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:10 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Yay! Passed my D.O.T. physical for UPS, then I come home and finished the front axle. Nobody has any brushless recommendations for me? Build is gonna be done tomorrow at this rate lol
Old 10-09-2019, 04:45 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
Yay! Passed my D.O.T. physical for UPS, then I come home and finished the front axle. Nobody has any brushless recommendations for me? Build is gonna be done tomorrow at this rate lol

Congrats on passing your DOT physical!

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out kincer. Hmmmmmmm, I'd make some specific recommendations, but I'm not sure how budget friendly they'll be.

Anyway, if you run say a 45T spur and say a 12T pinion (my set up), a sensored 3500kv system would be the sweet spot on 3S based on what you're looking for imho. It'll crawl great and the wheelspeed will be phenomenal. (If I calculate final drive, my Sport is geared pretty darn close to my Truggy and I'm running a HH 3500kv PP in that rig. It is fantastic - it runs OD / UD. (Running UD out back in the Sporto btw but OD is headed my way according to USPS tracking).

Having said all that, I just threw the Mamba-X and the 1800kv Revolver in the Sport and I am loving it. Super fine resolution down low - like barely moving creep capability, but pretty good wheelspeed as well. The wheelspeed isn't quite as "poppy" (that's a word?) as the 3500kv though. Maybe do a an 1800kv Revolver and run 4s? (be warned - you'll either love or hate the noises that emanate from it - I just pretend it's a spaceship! LMAO!)

What Spur/Pinion combo are you going to run? Are you planning on doing UD, or OD and UD?

Last edited by mewalsh100; 10-09-2019 at 04:51 PM.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #6
RCC Addict

What is your budget?

My default answer would be a Mamba X with Holmes Puller Pro in either 2700 or 3500 if you really want it to scoot... but that's not exactly cheap.

Next might be a Sidewinder 4 (or Mamba Micro X, but it could get too hot if you're geared for speed and using full throttle a lot) and 1800kv Revolver, but that's still not super cheap, and definitely not fast.

I've driven a trx4 with a 6 pole non sensored 3 Brothers motor (3000kv?) and it was plenty smooth, and waaaay quieter than the Revolver... but again, not cheap.

I think you're going to struggle finding all 3 smooth, fast, and cheap.

For a cheap servo, it's hard to go wrong with a DS3218Pro, yes, the "pro" is noticeably stronger and faster than the standard ds3218, both versions include an aluminum horn.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:00 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out kincer. Hmmmmmmm, I'd make some specific recommendations, but I'm not sure how budget friendly they'll be.

Anyway, if you run say a 45T spur and say a 12T pinion (my set up), a sensored 3500kv system would be the sweet spot on 3S imho. It'll crawl great and the wheelspeed will be phenomenal. (If I calculate final drive, my Sport is geared pretty darn close to my Truggy and I'm running a HH 3500kv PP in that rig. It is fantastic. (Running UD out back in the Sporto btw).

Having said all that, I just threw the Mamba-X and the 1800kv Revolver in the Sport and I am loving it. Super fine resolution down low - like barely moving creep capability, but pretty good wheelspeed as well. The wheelspeed isn't quite as "poppy" (that's a word?) as the 3500kv though. My guess is it would be at or maybe a little beyond the 3500kv on 4s though, so something to consider.

Do you know at this point what Spur/Pinion combo you're going to run? Are you planning on doing UD, or OD and UD?
I'm a total noob at this rig, back in the day with the first gen scx I was pretty knowledgeable and had some pretty built rigs, my Bronco and chassis kit Trxs are pretty much stock other than the usual 1080, Ds3218 servo etc. and I'm very happy with them but this thing I want to be a total beast. So I'm up for all ideas and suggestions, I have no budget for this rig but don't wanna just throw stuff at it, wanna do it smart. I bought this with the intention of building it right along with all you guys but life happened and I'm way behind lol. So throw the ideas at me and we'll make it a beast.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
What is your budget?

My default answer would be a Mamba X with Holmes Puller Pro in either 2700 or 3500 if you really want it to scoot... but that's not exactly cheap.

Next might be a Sidewinder 4 (or Mamba Micro X, but it could get too hot if you're geared for speed and using full throttle a lot) and 1800kv Revolver, but that's still not super cheap, and definitely not fast.

I've driven a trx4 with a 6 pole non sensored 3 Brothers motor (3000kv?) and it was plenty smooth, and waaaay quieter than the Revolver... but again, not cheap.

I think you're going to struggle finding all 3 smooth, fast, and cheap.

For a cheap servo, it's hard to go wrong with a DS3218Pro, yes, the "pro" is noticeably stronger and faster than the standard ds3218, both versions include an aluminum horn.
No budget but don't wanna waste money either, I'm a noob with this rig as far as mods go, way behind everyone else, if it was a first gen scx it would already be done lol.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:09 PM   #9

Budget and still good for crawling will probably be a Castle Mamba X combo. Not cheap, but you don't want junk.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:13 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Budget and still good for crawling will probably be a Castle Mamba X combo. Not cheap, but you don't want junk.
That's what I'm hearing, I think we both quit about the same time but you got yours built anyhow lol. Should be a roller by morning though, I gotta give em credit this is a hell of a nice kit to build.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:28 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Yep, the "buy once, cry once" ESC is definitely the Mamba X. I don't have much experience with the Slate motors, but I can say that the Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro (standard size) would definitely tick all your boxes. The 3500kv geared down would be my first choice. I've had my share of cheap brushless systems and I'd honestly rather have a wp1080 and 550 brushed than another crappy brushless setup.

Along the same thought process, the Savox 2290sg has been the longest lasting servo I've had in a crawler (well, my Promodeler 420 is older, but that car rarely gets used, and I like more power for my 2.2" cars) which has made it the best value. It doesn't hurt that it makes 694oz of torque either. My latest no b.s. servo is the 1027oz Futaba A700, but it's way too early to make any longevity claims, and it was the polar opposite of cheap. I'd say if you want to cut to the chase, go with the 2290. Otherwise the ds3218pro is a great bang for the buck servo that probably can't be beat for less than $100 (I think I paid $12 each for a 4 pack of 3218pro's.)
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Thanks guys! Getting me in the right direction I'm a brushless noob as far as crawlers go lol, but I'm learnin
Old 10-09-2019, 06:24 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I have the Mamba X and the Holmes Puller Pro 3500 in my cart, the body I have for this is the 2012 Axial JK body but the more I'm lookin at how some of you have done these Sport bodies I may just do mine also, probably be wise to keep the weight down. Speaking of weight I know there is ten tons of brass you can buy for these but I know I don't need all of it, what are you all liking?
Old 10-09-2019, 06:36 PM   #14
Go Buckeyes!

First of all, congrats on the DOT physical!

The TRX-4 is a fun build. The manual is one of the best that I have ever seen!

In my Sport I'm running the Mamba X with the 2850kv Slate. With the Mamba X there is no need for an external BEC. Ever since I made the switch to the Mamba X I have never felt that I need to add a BEC.

I was not a fan of the Sport body when they first came out, but with the right paint scheme they can look very good.

For the brass upgrades, I went Samix. They look good and are made very well.
B-MOW71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:44 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
First of all, congrats on the DOT physical!

The TRX-4 is a fun build. The manual is one of the best that I have ever seen!

In my Sport I'm running the Mamba X with the 2850kv Slate. With the Mamba X there is no need for an external BEC. Ever since I made the switch to the Mamba X I have never felt that I need to add a BEC.

I was not a fan of the Sport body when they first came out, but with the right paint scheme they can look very good.

For the brass upgrades, I went Samix. They look good and are made very well.
Thanks to everyone for the congrats! I'm semi retired now and not by choice, a new company bought our company 4 years ago ran it into the ground and pulled the rug out from under us. At least I can draw a pension, kinda sucks to start a new job after 30 years though, at least with UPS I'll be out and about everyday and time will go fast.

I love the paint scheme on your Sport, I hope you don't mind but I was thinking of copying it but with metallic green and silver.

What all Samix brass did you use? I don't wanna go overboard, just get what's needed.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:55 PM   #16
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
Thanks to everyone for the congrats! I'm semi retired now and not by choice, a new company bought our company 4 years ago ran it into the ground and pulled the rug out from under us. At least I can draw a pension, kinda sucks to start a new job after 30 years though, at least with UPS I'll be out and about everyday and time will go fast.

I love the paint scheme on your Sport, I hope you don't mind but I was thinking of copying it but with metallic green and silver.

What all Samix brass did you use? I don't wanna go overboard, just get what's needed.
Hey thanks Kincer! Don't mind at all! It was an easy paint job and that is how I like them!

I started out with the Samix Combo set for the front from Amain.

Name:  IMG_1849.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  184.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1852.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  148.1 KB

I used Samix aluminum in the rear. Let me find out which ones and I'll let you know.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Thanks man! Yes please let me know
Old 10-09-2019, 07:37 PM   #18
Gold Star Baby!

This would be my wishlist if I was trying to build a beast and not worried about being a budget build.

Mamba X
Puller Pro 2700 - the sport is geared somewhat fast, if you go 3300 may want to consider the 45t spur, you’d need a new slipper pad if you do change since it’s adhesive.
Holmes or equivalent servo
Ssd front brass portal covers
Yeah racing front and rear axle housings
Samix Brass chubs v2 (with the shock mounts)
Samix Brass front knuckle
Samix brass diff cover for front
HR high clearance steering link
Overdrive front
Underdrive rear
Rear GRC aluminum chubs with shock mount
Samix front and rear shock towers
Traxxas inner fenders for the front battery tray, or the bowhouse lcg tray and a small battery
Ssd or vp wheels
Midsize tire like Pitbull rockbeast 4.45” and CI 4.25 lil novas
Ssd brass hub pair for rear

Last edited by Topher Builds; 10-09-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:51 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
This would be my wishlist if I was trying to build a beast and not worried about being a budget build.

Mamba X
Puller Pro 2700 - the sport is geared somewhat fast, if you go 3300 may want to consider the 45t spur, you’d need a new slipper pad if you do change since it’s adhesive.
Overdrive front
Underdrive rear
Traxxas inner fenders for the front battery tray, or the bowhouse lcg tray and a small battery
Ssd or vp wheels
Thanks for that list, this will give me some things to compare to
Old 10-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #20
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post

Mamba X
Overdrive front
Underdrive rear
Ssd or vp wheels
^^^ Yep, this is a great list to go by Kincer!

The only difference in mine is I did not use SSD or GRC items. I used all Samix. The Samix brass shock cups are a good buy too. They slide on the shock shaft and will not fall off on the trail.

I also recommend the Samix shock towers. The panhard mount on these is bomb proof! And they give you top shock mount options.

Oh and I am still using the stock plastic axle housings. I haven't yet switched them out to the Yeah Racing axles.

I should mention that I have the TRX-4 2-speed transmission so my Slate 2850kv works out great. Plenty of low end in 1st gear and more than enough top end in 2nd gear. I also set a throttle curve in the Mamba X to give my really smooth start up speed.

And I'm still running the stock Canyon Trail tires mounted on VP Roost wheels. I've had really good luck with the tires since I cut and siped them.

Kincer's better late than never Sport kit build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kincer's chassis kit K5 kincer Traxxas TRX-4 3 10-06-2019 07:16 AM
TinyTrux TRX-4 Sport Kit Build-out tinytrux Traxxas TRX-4 46 05-21-2019 06:56 AM
trx4 sport kit build traxxas79k5 Traxxas TRX-4 0 05-20-2019 07:35 AM
Alex's TRX4 Sport kit build alexleblanc Traxxas TRX-4 13 05-06-2019 11:46 AM
MG's TRX-4 Sport kit build/mods MentalGuru Traxxas TRX-4 10 04-25-2019 06:51 AM