Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: HH Torquemaster Expert install question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2019, 09:32 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default HH Torquemaster Expert install question

I'm installing this motor along with a HW 1080 ESC. Since the stock motor is a reverse rotation will I need to reverse the leads on this motor so it spins the correct direction, or can I control that in the ESC setup?

I plan to install this motor using XT60 connectors, so it won't be as simple as swapping bullet connectors if the rotation is wrong. Thanks!
toys222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: HH Torquemaster Expert install question

You'll have to swap the leads for reverse rotation. If that motor has timing it might not do all that great for you. Would be a good question for John Holmes
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks! I almost posted this in the Electronics section, but figured it was more TRX-4 specific.

And yes the motor does have timing which I'm still learning about. I like speed more so than a dedicated crawling machine so I went with this motor in 21T. I'll gear it down if it's a bit too fast, but looking forward to seeing how it does.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:57 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys222 View Post
Thanks! I almost posted this in the Electronics section, but figured it was more TRX-4 specific.

And yes the motor does have timing which I'm still learning about. I like speed more so than a dedicated crawling machine so I went with this motor in 21T. I'll gear it down if it's a bit too fast, but looking forward to seeing how it does.

There is a ask John Holmes thread in the electronics section. I would ask him what he thinks.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Good idea! Thanks!
Old 10-15-2019, 10:05 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I'm running the same motor and ESC and yep, you'll need to hook up the wires in reverse. I soldered mine that way on the motor (black wire to red side and red to black) then the ESC hookup is "normal". That motor does have adjustable timing and JRH recommends 9 - 12 degrees, just in reverse. The marks are on the case and brush end-bell. You just need to loosen the end-bell screws a little and twist it in the case so the marks are on the other side of "zero". There may be pic's of it in my build thread. There are set-up threads in the electronics section above, for motor timing too, I think. Anything I can help with, just ask.
I LOVE mine! The motor is smooth and strong, with nice low-end. After running against my set-up, my buddy bought 2 of them for his TRX's. I think you'll be happy with them.

jim
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:12 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
I'm running the same motor and ESC and yep, you'll need to hook up the wires in reverse. I soldered mine that way on the motor (black wire to red side and red to black) then the ESC hookup is "normal". That motor does have adjustable timing and JRH recommends 9 - 12 degrees, just in reverse. The marks are on the case and brush end-bell. You just need to loosen the end-bell screws a little and twist it in the case so the marks are on the other side of "zero". There may be pic's of it in my build thread. There are set-up threads in the electronics section above, for motor timing too, I think. Anything I can help with, just ask.
I LOVE mine! The motor is smooth and strong, with nice low-end. After running against my set-up, my buddy bought 2 of them for his TRX's. I think you'll be happy with them.

jim
Thanks Jim, this is great info!

Sounds like this motor will be awesome! I need to do some more research on timing, but what will the timing affect - zero vs. 9 - 12 degrees? Thanks again!
Old 10-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys222 View Post
Thanks Jim, this is great info!

Sounds like this motor will be awesome! I need to do some more research on timing, but what will the timing affect - zero vs. 9 - 12 degrees? Thanks again!
A little timing "advance" will give it a few more rpm's in that direction and a few less in reverse. It'll add a little top speed when you're going forward, and slow reverse down a bit. It also helps the brushes last longer. JR Holmes has lots of info on his web-sight and here. You can find youtube videos on motor timing too. It's pretty easy, and it does make a difference you can feel.

jim
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:40 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Thanks I'm watching one of his videos on motor timing right now. Looks like I reverse the motor leads and set my timing advance mark to the LEFT of the zero degrees mark for a reverse rotation motor. Hopefully I have this correct!
Old 10-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

You do. You'd just mirror the timing on the other side of the zero mark when reversing rotation.

Or the cheat is a brushless upgrade in the future. Then it's just flipping a switch
SlidePanda is offline   Reply With Quote

HH Torquemaster Expert install question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Torquemaster Expert 35T 3S Gearing 1967Typhoon Axial SCX-10 4 07-29-2014 07:00 AM
HH Torquemaster Expert 35t hanging up. Red04Cobra Electronics 9 10-02-2013 07:25 AM
Torquemaster expert 13t vs crawlmaster pro 13 vs torquemaster pro 27t cooperDG123 Electronics 6 05-08-2013 12:30 PM
TorqueMaster Expert motor question TLT-ROCKER Electronics 7 12-11-2012 05:34 PM
TorqueMaster Expert 540 ickabob Axial Wraith 0 11-26-2011 09:38 PM