Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Anyone using pen mod? droop / low cg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2019, 02:50 AM   #1

Default Anyone using pen mod? droop / low cg

I decided to try toss it in today..haven't had a chance to try it yet, but if you're interested in running droop / low cg..check out my super basic video, haha.
https://youtu.be/CgfaoKsC9oQ

Check out TRXellence vol 4 if you want to see some nice rock climbing. vol5 will include this mod
Exalted85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Anyone using pen mod? droop / low cg

Interesting. I've used fuel line on the internal shock shaft before to limit travel, but that's obviously static. You get what you get. I like the idea of the spring collapsing under axle/wheel weight so your wheels drop and will still provide traction in "holes", but in more vertical state they'll suck that shock back up.

Have you tested yet? If so, how'd it go?
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #3
Slow is the new Fast

Can only imagine it will help a lot on steep climbs, side-hilling etc. Post up your experiences with it, maybe even some running video Curious to hear about how it works out
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
Gold Star Baby!

It’s popular out here among some of the locals, their trucks usually do pretty well.

Just gotta make sure the springs are from the same types of pens.

I’d much rather do the pen mod instead of the internal limiters. I dabbled with plastic spacers last year but disliked how much travel I lost. Also, the way I set up the shocks now they usually have about a 30% droop so the limiters don’t even lower the ride height unless the springs are too stiff IMO.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
It’s popular out here among some of the locals, their trucks usually do pretty well.

Just gotta make sure the springs are from the same types of pens.

I’d much rather do the pen mod instead of the internal limiters. I dabbled with plastic spacers last year but disliked how much travel I lost. Also, the way I set up the shocks now they usually have about a 30% droop so the limiters don’t even lower the ride height unless the springs are too stiff IMO.

I run about 30% as well Topher. I agree, the idea of the springs being active versus just a static limit appeals to me. I may have to play around with this.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #6
RCC Addict

How does this pen mod work, you put the pin Springs over the shock shaft inside the shock?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
How does this pen mod work, you put the pin Springs over the shock shaft inside the shock?

You’d put the spring under the piston inside the shock assembly.

This effectively will “store” some of the shock shaft inside the body, but since it’s a spring it will still allow the shock shaft to drop out when the opposite side articulates. With a static limiter (nice word Walsh) the shaft that’s hidden won’t drop out because the spacer would prevent it from doing so.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Do you run the shock shaft through the center of the pen spring? Or no?

Old 10-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #9
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Do you run the shock shaft through the center of the pen spring? Or no?

Exactly, then the spring sits between the lower cap/seal and the underside of the shock piston
Old 10-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Exactly, then the spring sits between the lower cap/seal and the underside of the shock piston
Got it. I'm slow, but I catch up eventually. LOL

Old 10-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Seems like bleeding the shocks would be more difficult with a spring under the piston.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:17 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You’d put the spring under the piston inside the shock assembly.

This effectively will “store” some of the shock shaft inside the body, but since it’s a spring it will still allow the shock shaft to drop out when the opposite side articulates. With a static limiter (nice word Walsh) the shaft that’s hidden won’t drop out because the spacer would prevent it from doing so.

I tries.....I tries!
Old 10-10-2019, 11:05 PM   #13

Well, I took a quick run with it..I'm still a little on the fence, seemed to handle a little less predictably for me. But if you watch until near the end, I do a pretty gnarly wall climb..that I'm not quite sure would be possible without the pen springs, tbh. Check it out if you want.

https://youtu.be/g-pD0sMx_nA
Old 10-10-2019, 11:21 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Maybe you're aware...and, maybe you're not aware...but there are already available scale shocks with internal springs. Yeah Racing, Hot Racing, and RC4WD, all make crawler shocks with internal springs. Most use no oil (other than a very minor amount, to keep the shaft lubricated.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Maybe you're aware...and, maybe you're not aware...but there are already available scale shocks with internal springs. Yeah Racing, Hot Racing, and RC4WD, all make crawler shocks with internal springs. Most use no oil (other than a very minor amount, to keep the shaft lubricated.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
I believe it..but I got a lot of other things to upgrade before buying new shocks, when these are already some of the best in the business, heh.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:04 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exalted85 View Post
I believe it..but I got a lot of other things to upgrade before buying new shocks, when these are already some of the best in the business, heh.
Since you haven't mentioned which shocks, specifically, you're referring to, I can't say. If you're referring to Traxxas shocks, I'll agree...and disagree. Vehicle-wise, my only experience with Traxxas is the Slash 4x4 & Rustler 4x4 (of which I have two). The stock Ultra shocks are garbage...plastic bodies, with plastic caps that pop off more frequently than people can count. On the other hand, their GTR shocks are outstanding (I recently installed them on one of my Rustlers, during my "converting" the vehicle into something "different").

All of my race vehicle (with the exception of my XRAY T4) use TLR shocks (being that they're all TLR vehicles, and I find them to also be excellent. My first (and, currently, only...although, not for long, of that I am certain) crawler, the just-released Axial Capra, uses Axial shocks...although, in a matter of speaking, I'd be willing to bet they're more 'Losi/TLR' than 'Axial'. While I will give the stock Capra shocks a "chance", I do have a replacement (Pit Bull Tires BDS Kronik 90mm) in mind, shock I start having problems work the stock shocks.

Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:55 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I would imagine this would still act like a “static spacer” to a point. At full extension, the trx4 springs are just barely in contact with the seats. I would imagine the pen spring would hold up the shock from going full extension to some degree.

Also, does the pen spring coil bind when full compressed. That would also be static spacerish.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote

Anyone using pen mod? droop / low cg - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie Here..How to perform Droop Mod? Thanks! StickyWheels Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 15 12-07-2011 11:04 PM
Low..Low gear Mod for 1/18th vader General Crawlers 3 04-06-2006 06:43 AM
low gear mod jardine General Crawlers 1 03-11-2006 04:53 PM
low gear mod xjer General Crawlers 5 02-09-2006 04:36 AM
the low down on the xtra low gear mod heeper40 General Crawlers 9 02-02-2006 12:35 PM