Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: How does the TRX4 handle sandy spots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default How does the TRX4 handle sandy spots

My Stampede 4x4 is once again being rebuilt. Culprit being the sandy beach is Northeast OHio. My plastic motor mount heated up and melted my slipper clutch bushing to the bearing. This thing has been upgraded a few times and needs another round. I am Trying to decide.. do I spend 100$ in upgrades or get my TRX4 and let my Stampede be a winter/spring project.
1. Does the TRX4 have better protection from sand?
2. How much fun is the TRX in snow?

So far If my Stampede sits I will miss flying through leaves and snow. But I won’t if I have something else to play with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aqualungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: How does the TRX4 handle sandy spots

I run in FL sugar sand allot. No salty beach sand tho. I've had my Trx for about a year and a half with no issues "knock on wood". There was a little bit of sand in the motor housing last time I had it open, but no more then a pinch. It had probably been 6 months between the times I had it open. I don't really bash mine. Kinda slow for that. Mostly slow crawling, but do right side it with the throttle. Which can throw a bunch of sand around. Basher guys might have a different answer for you. Good luck!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
I run in FL sugar sand allot. No salty beach sand tho. I've had my Trx for about a year and a half with no issues "knock on wood". There was a little bit of sand in the motor housing last time I had it open, but no more then a pinch. It had probably been 6 months between the times I had it open. I don't really bash mine. Kinda slow for that. Mostly slow crawling, but do right side it with the throttle. Which can throw a bunch of sand around. Basher guys might have a different answer for you. Good luck!

Thanks! I run that Stampede hard.. you can’t help it. It goes!

Maybe I need a change of pace. I have been wanting to get into trailing/crawling for a while. Going slower, means breaking less.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:54 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
Thanks! I run that Stampede hard.. you can’t help it. It goes!

Maybe I need a change of pace. I have been wanting to get into trailing/crawling for a while. Going slower, means breaking less.

I always wanted a go fast, but go fast= BOOM! Breakage! Lmao! Crawling is so much easier on parts unless you don't know how to stop when stuff is bound up or you flip off of something high. I like crawling and watching the suspension work. Pushing the limits side hilling is my favorite
Old 10-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I just ran a TRX Bronco in beach sand and crawling a concrete covered jetty for two packs and the only sand was wherever oil or grease was seeping, like beneath the shock shafts and that could be easily knocked off with a brush. I can’t imagine crawlers filling up with sand the way a SCT fills up when the tires kick stuff up against the body and it sits in the tray—-is that what you’re describing? A dusty motors or similar mesh covering keeps almost all the sand and gravel out of my SCT and rally—-They’re not free but they do a pretty damn good job of keeping everything out of the chassis and air flowing over the motor and ESC

That said, on stock power the happy Bronco isn’t real exciting running around in the beach sand here. It makes it around fine but bobbing around with a high center of gravity below 20 MPH with hardly any wheel spin isn’t super exciting, if you get my drift.

Now a Bomber with brushless power and paddles (!!!), something you can launch a little at least, that might be another story.
LincolnofDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:23 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnofDeath View Post
I just ran a TRX Bronco in beach sand and crawling a concrete covered jetty for two packs and the only sand was wherever oil or grease was seeping, like beneath the shock shafts and that could be easily knocked off with a brush. I can’t imagine crawlers filling up with sand the way a SCT fills up when the tires kick stuff up against the body and it sits in the tray—-is that what you’re describing? A dusty motors or similar mesh covering keeps almost all the sand and gravel out of my SCT and rally—-They’re not free but they do a pretty damn good job of keeping everything out of the chassis and air flowing over the motor and ESC

That said, on stock power the happy Bronco isn’t real exciting running around in the beach sand here. It makes it around fine but bobbing around with a high center of gravity below 20 MPH with hardly any wheel spin isn’t super exciting, if you get my drift.

Now a Bomber with brushless power and paddles (!!!), something you can launch a little at least, that might be another story.

I guess the main culprit was a burned out slipper clutch bearing. Which makes sense. Wasn’t sure whether that squeak was my MiPxduty axles grinding sand, but now that I think about it that bearing was going and sand may not have been the problem. I flip enough on sand to knock sand out of the tray, the only spot that got sand real bad was the MIPX axles. The get super caked. I have Teknos on the front and I plan to scrap the MIPS in the rear and add Teknos. It also destroys the hub bearing. The rear are shot and we’re replaced last winter. I drive 2s so I’m not giving it 3s abuse. I also need to rebuild the diffs and replace the motor mount thst was destroyed with a King Headz.
So I have have the stampede broken down and baggied & labeled with parts and their screws. Lol.

Last edited by aqualungs; 10-14-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

So I decided to box my stampede, and slowly rebuild it over the winter. That way I can take my time and have something to do. Meanwhile I have some gift cards, and the price of the TRX Sport kit looks good at 160$ + tax after gift cards. Also 140$ in the parts I planned to buy for my Stampede can go towards the build.
I plan to use this for when I go walking on trails for exercise, and to stop whenever I see fun obstacles to climb over. Also for excursions in the park with my brother and other rc friends. So some help with the motor choice would be awesome. Here’s my list so far.

Build List:
-TRX4 Sport Kit
-HW 1080 Esc
-HH Motor (unsure which one I do want to put a 2psd in for trailing and a little fun, recommendations?)
-Amazon $20 servo w/Alum Horn
-SMC Beadlocks (better option?)
https://www.amainhobbies.com/rc4wd-p...zw0074/p708053
-Proline 2-stage foam
-Fender kit
-Light kit

I am going to get a Flysky GT5 and am not including this in the budget because I planned to get one for all my RC’s. Also I am sticking with stock tires for now.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:33 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
So I decided to box my stampede, and slowly rebuild it over the winter. That way I can take my time and have something to do. Meanwhile I have some gift cards, and the price of the TRX Sport kit looks good at 160$ + tax after gift cards. Also 140$ in the parts I planned to buy for my Stampede can go towards the build.
I plan to use this for when I go walking on trails for exercise, and to stop whenever I see fun obstacles to climb over. Also for excursions in the park with my brother and other rc friends. So some help with the motor choice would be awesome. Here’s my list so far.

Build List:
-TRX4 Sport Kit
-HW 1080 Esc
-HH Motor (unsure which one I do want to put a 2psd in for trailing and a little fun, recommendations?)
-Amazon $20 servo w/Alum Horn
-SMC Beadlocks (better option?)
https://www.amainhobbies.com/rc4wd-p...zw0074/p708053
-Proline 2-stage foam
-Fender kit
-Light kit

I am going to get a Flysky GT5 and am not including this in the budget because I planned to get one for all my RC’s. Also I am sticking with stock tires for now.

I run the HH Trailmaster sport 27t with 9t pinion. With the two speed trans in 2nd my top speed is about 8-9 mph on 3s which is plenty in my eyes. As for everything else it looks like you're on the right path. I would check the wheel fitment guide here in the Trx section to make sure those wheels will work. Stock Trx tires are pretty good. Especially if you cut them. You can see how I did mine on my Trx-4 thread. There's also a few other ways guys have cut them. Good luck! Keep us posted
Old 10-17-2019, 07:24 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Ordered the Sport kit from RCSuperstore and started a build thread

Aqualung’s Sport Build

Last edited by aqualungs; 10-17-2019 at 07:40 AM.

How does the TRX4 handle sandy spots - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weak spots on trx4 crazee horse Traxxas TRX-4 49 10-21-2017 04:10 AM
Sandy Beach Trail Run Lyle Scale Videos! 0 04-27-2013 04:25 PM
The Sandy Hook Shooting - Fully Exposed rugerboy Chit Chat 44 01-17-2013 06:21 PM
Sandy RANOVRU Chit Chat 99 11-02-2012 10:12 PM