Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4
Loading

Notices

Thread: Winter is Coming............again?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2019, 05:51 AM   #81
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 824
Default Re: Winter is Coming............again?

Turns out a guy in my crawling circle already co-opted his sister to sew these. It's like they read my mind. I've reached out to her, and will keep you posted.








Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I think what you have in the video is definitely on the right track. Your description is perfect, the idea is to eventually not even notice it is there. I donít know how cold it gets there where you are, but skin tight mitts are not warm enough up here in the winter. Something like what you have there should be perfectly warm and functional. If you can pull your Hands out and have the muff hanging around your neck with the transmitter held securely in the middle than I think you are golden
hobbyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #82
into the ether...
 
smog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 1,347
Default Re: Winter is Coming............again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Turns out a guy in my crawling circle already co-opted his sister to sew these. It's like they read my mind. I've reached out to her, and will keep you posted.
Cool, please do. I see she has the Don Cherry fabric going on there
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #83
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 824
Default Re: Winter is Coming............again?

Please don't say Don Cherry. So sick of hearing about that. eye roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Cool, please do. I see she has the Don Cherry fabric going on there
hobbyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #84
into the ether...
 
smog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 1,347
Default Re: Winter is Coming............again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Please don't say Don Cherry. So sick of hearing about that. eye roll.
I hear ya, it’s been rather ridiculous. But c’mon, a red tartan

Does it get any more Scottish than that?
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #85
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 824
Default Re: Winter is Coming............again?

Forgot to mention that I asked the seamstress about your fabric loop to attach a neck lanyard.
hobbyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:51 AM   #86
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 824
Default Re: Winter is Coming............again?

Man oh man. I forgot how the cold just has its way with poor innocent lipos. I went out yesterday and came home with two finished packs, in less time than it takes to use up one, in August.
hobbyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #87
into the ether...
 
smog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 1,347
Default Re: Winter is Coming............again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Man oh man. I forgot how the cold just has its way with poor innocent lipos. I went out yesterday and came home with two finished packs, in less time than it takes to use up one, in August.
Are they old packs? What is their capacity? I have never had the issue in my crawlers. That said, I donít stay out very long at a time in winter
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #88
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 824
Default Re: Winter is Coming............again?

They're not new, and I definitely suspect that packs having gone through many cycles are more affected by the cold.

Anyway I ran from 11 to 4 today with the creme de la creme of my local group...



And EVERYONE was complaining about how quickly their lipos were giving out.

This is our go-to spot too, so we know how long our batties last in summer conditions.

Personally, I went through two 2300 mah packs when I typically almost get around with one.

Mind you, I was the guy pulling the trailer today. But still...




Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Are they old packs? What is their capacity? I have never had the issue in my crawlers. That said, I don’t stay out very long at a time in winter
hobbyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #89
into the ether...
 
smog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 1,347
Default Re: Winter is Coming............again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
They're not new, and I definitely suspect that packs having gone through many cycles are more affected by the cold.

Anyway I ran from 11 to 4 today with the creme de la creme of my local group...

And EVERYONE was complaining about how quickly their lipos were giving out.

This is our go-to spot too, so we know how long our batties last in summer conditions.

Personally, I went through two 2300 mah packs when I typically almost get around with one.

Mind you, I was the guy pulling the trailer today. But still...
Looks like a good size group. There is a small group that goes out Saturday mornings here. Funny the meeting spot is looks a lot like your picture.

We are having really mild temps for this time of year. Had a dump of snow early, but it all melted. Next invention needs to be a battery warmer
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #90
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 824
Default Re: Winter is Coming............again?

Thanks and good to hear you have a dedicated bunch you can count on! That was actually a weak turnout for those crazy Bell City Crawlers guys. Tons of activity in the county of Brant, which is, too bad, at least an hour from me.

Oh, and there is a lipo warmer readily available if you can somehow keep the pack from sliding out the front of your tighty whities and down your pant leg. I know...too much information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
There is a small group that goes out Saturday mornings here.

Next invention needs to be a battery warmer
hobbyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #91
into the ether...
 
smog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 1,347
Default Re: Winter is Coming............again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Thanks and good to hear you have a dedicated bunch you can count on! That was actually a weak turnout for those crazy Bell City Crawlers guys. Tons of activity in the county of Brant, which is, too bad, at least an hour from me.

Oh, and there is a lipo warmer readily available if you can somehow keep the pack from sliding out the front of your tighty whities and down your pant leg. I know...too much information.
oh I see, you are finding they are draining en route to the party. I thought you were having issues during runs. As I said before, I havenít yet noticed significant runtime loss in the cold .we shall see how this winter goes. I havenít bought new lipos for awhile
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:16 PM   #92
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 824
Default Re: Winter is Coming............again?

We find that the starting line lipo which has been warm in the car, runs out quicker than usual once out in the cold. And the replacement for it which has been cold the whole time in a backpack performs even worse.


Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
oh I see, you are finding they are draining en route to the party. I thought you were having issues during runs. As I said before, I haven’t yet noticed significant runtime loss in the cold .we shall see how this winter goes. I haven’t bought new lipos for awhile
hobbyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #93
into the ether...
 
smog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 1,347
Default Re: Winter is Coming............again?

Got a small hit of snow today so I took an hour to mount up the trax and take the truck on her first test run. In the snow, the trax along with the portals are definitely an advantage over a 4.75 tall 1.9 on a non-portal rig. The clearance is outstanding. In addition, the size of the overall contact patch is a significant advantage on the snow.

Unfortunately one of the front trax appeared to seize up at one point. Once the snow melts out I will take a closer look at what is going on. Being pressed for time, I rushed the mounting process so may have failed to tighten something up.

Overall I am happy with the performance but will need more power. Today I ran on 2s, next time it will be 3s. 2s is simply not enough. The rig is by no means unstoppable. The rubber freezes just as tires do so steep climbs are still aren't happening in cold weather. I look forward to creating somw new challenges for this thing.



Here is a short unedited video of the first test run. It was a gorgeous day so I figured I should not pass up the opportunity to shoot some.

smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:33 AM   #94
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 824
Default Re: Winter is Coming............again?

Thanks for posting. That's good information. Looks like an opportunity exists to design and produce replacement tracks meant for snow and cold weather. Probably not cheap and, man, the cost is starting to add up eh?
hobbyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:01 PM   #95
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 824
Default Re: Winter is Coming............again?

I just watched mgputer's run in the deep stuff. Pretty successful, not surprisingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykXA...ature=youtu.be
hobbyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:50 PM   #96
into the ether...
 
smog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 1,347
Default Re: Winter is Coming............again?

While very small, there certainly could be a niche market for a winter compound Rc tire. What mg is running is smart. Good floatation with the size and decent traction with the large tractor tread.

The best thing about the TRX4 setup is the massive clearance under the axle. The portal in combination with the track lifts the axle way up. It makes a big difference when you arenít pushing the snow.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:52 PM   #97
Gold Star Baby!
 
mgputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Merrill, WI
Posts: 2,205
Default Re: Winter is Coming............again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
While very small, there certainly could be a niche market for a winter compound Rc tire. What mg is running is smart. Good floatation with the size and decent traction with the large tractor tread.



The best thing about the TRX4 setup is the massive clearance under the axle. The portal in combination with the track lifts the axle way up. It makes a big difference when you arenít pushing the snow.
I was going to get tracks but I decided to throw on the other set of monster truck tires. Oh and 4s... LoL

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:12 PM   #98
into the ether...
 
smog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 1,347
Default Re: Winter is Coming............again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
I was going to get tracks but I decided to throw on the other set of monster truck tires. Oh and 4s... LoL

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
Power! Looks like you had plenty for the snow

I am still waiting for more snow. We have had unusually warm temps. That Colorado low that hit down there didn't get here, we have mostly received rain from further north. Odd weather patterns.

Look forward to running 3s next go
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:13 PM   #99
Gold Star Baby!
 
mgputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Merrill, WI
Posts: 2,205
Default Re: Winter is Coming............again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Power! Looks like you had plenty for the snow



I am still waiting for more snow. We have had unusually warm temps. That Colorado low that hit down there didn't get here, we have mostly received rain from further north. Odd weather patterns.



Look forward to running 3s next go
We're going get another 10-14 in the next day or two.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:07 PM   #100
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 824
Default Re: Winter is Coming............again?

hobbyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Winter is Coming............again? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COMING SOON the NEW Cross-Rc upgrades coming soon!!! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 05-10-2019 06:38 PM
Winter is coming.... twisted Axial Yeti 14 09-12-2016 04:31 PM
Winter is coming fuglio New Mexico 1 12-15-2015 01:45 PM
Rs coming what do you think TIMBERDOVII Redcat Crawlers 4 05-23-2010 04:55 PM
Its coming! norcallump HPI Wheely King 9 01-23-2010 01:08 AM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com