Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Winter is Coming............again?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2019, 08:18 AM   #61
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: Winter is Coming............again?

I think what you have in the video is definitely on the right track. Your description is perfect, the idea is to eventually not even notice it is there. I don’t know how cold it gets there where you are, but skin tight mitts are not warm enough up here in the winter. Something like what you have there should be perfectly warm and functional. If you can pull your Hands out and have the muff hanging around your neck with the transmitter held securely in the middle than I think you are golden
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2019, 07:17 AM   #62
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Turns out a guy in my crawling circle already co-opted his sister to sew these. It's like they read my mind. I've reached out to her, and will keep you posted.
Cool, please do. I see she has the Don Cherry fabric going on there
Old 11-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #63
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Please don't say Don Cherry. So sick of hearing about that. eye roll.
I hear ya, it’s been rather ridiculous. But c’mon, a red tartan

Does it get any more Scottish than that?
Old 11-17-2019, 09:05 AM   #64
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Man oh man. I forgot how the cold just has its way with poor innocent lipos. I went out yesterday and came home with two finished packs, in less time than it takes to use up one, in August.
Are they old packs? What is their capacity? I have never had the issue in my crawlers. That said, I don’t stay out very long at a time in winter
Old 11-19-2019, 08:29 AM   #65
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
They're not new, and I definitely suspect that packs having gone through many cycles are more affected by the cold.

Anyway I ran from 11 to 4 today with the creme de la creme of my local group...

And EVERYONE was complaining about how quickly their lipos were giving out.

This is our go-to spot too, so we know how long our batties last in summer conditions.

Personally, I went through two 2300 mah packs when I typically almost get around with one.

Mind you, I was the guy pulling the trailer today. But still...
Looks like a good size group. There is a small group that goes out Saturday mornings here. Funny the meeting spot is looks a lot like your picture.

We are having really mild temps for this time of year. Had a dump of snow early, but it all melted. Next invention needs to be a battery warmer
Old 11-19-2019, 01:48 PM   #66
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Thanks and good to hear you have a dedicated bunch you can count on! That was actually a weak turnout for those crazy Bell City Crawlers guys. Tons of activity in the county of Brant, which is, too bad, at least an hour from me.

Oh, and there is a lipo warmer readily available if you can somehow keep the pack from sliding out the front of your tighty whities and down your pant leg. I know...too much information.
oh I see, you are finding they are draining en route to the party. I thought you were having issues during runs. As I said before, I haven’t yet noticed significant runtime loss in the cold .we shall see how this winter goes. I haven’t bought new lipos for awhile
Old 11-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #67
Slow is the new Fast

Got a small hit of snow today so I took an hour to mount up the trax and take the truck on her first test run. In the snow, the trax along with the portals are definitely an advantage over a 4.75 tall 1.9 on a non-portal rig. The clearance is outstanding. In addition, the size of the overall contact patch is a significant advantage on the snow.

Unfortunately one of the front trax appeared to seize up at one point. Once the snow melts out I will take a closer look at what is going on. Being pressed for time, I rushed the mounting process so may have failed to tighten something up.

Overall I am happy with the performance but will need more power. Today I ran on 2s, next time it will be 3s. 2s is simply not enough. The rig is by no means unstoppable. The rubber freezes just as tires do so steep climbs are still aren't happening in cold weather. I look forward to creating somw new challenges for this thing.

Here is a short unedited video of the first test run. It was a gorgeous day so I figured I should not pass up the opportunity to shoot some.

Old 11-27-2019, 02:50 PM   #68
Slow is the new Fast

While very small, there certainly could be a niche market for a winter compound Rc tire. What mg is running is smart. Good floatation with the size and decent traction with the large tractor tread.

The best thing about the TRX4 setup is the massive clearance under the axle. The portal in combination with the track lifts the axle way up. It makes a big difference when you aren’t pushing the snow.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:52 AM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
While very small, there certainly could be a niche market for a winter compound Rc tire. What mg is running is smart. Good floatation with the size and decent traction with the large tractor tread.

The best thing about the TRX4 setup is the massive clearance under the axle. The portal in combination with the track lifts the axle way up. It makes a big difference when you aren’t pushing the snow.
I was going to get tracks but I decided to throw on the other set of monster truck tires. Oh and 4s... LoL

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:12 PM   #70
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
I was going to get tracks but I decided to throw on the other set of monster truck tires. Oh and 4s... LoL

Power! Looks like you had plenty for the snow

I am still waiting for more snow. We have had unusually warm temps. That Colorado low that hit down there didn't get here, we have mostly received rain from further north. Odd weather patterns.

Look forward to running 3s next go
Old 11-29-2019, 12:13 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Power! Looks like you had plenty for the snow

I am still waiting for more snow. We have had unusually warm temps. That Colorado low that hit down there didn't get here, we have mostly received rain from further north. Odd weather patterns.

Look forward to running 3s next go
We're going get another 10-14 in the next day or two.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Looks like you guys had a fun snow run hobbyjumper!

The video was awesome smog - has me considering trax.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

I had a little play in the snow with my recovery 6x6 today. Building the snow plow now.

https://youtu.be/5_7niPXyamU

Old 12-03-2019, 06:49 AM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah, those Capra's are lame--getting stuck all the time and having to be rescued by a trail rig. Ha.

Plow looks nice on the bench. Can't wait to see it in action. I used to plow snow on my 1/13 scale outdoor railway and if conditions were right it was awesome. If accumulation and temperature were not right it was pure frustration.
Yah it's one of those things. Just like when I plow with my ATV. Too much or too wet and it's not fun anymore lol.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:04 AM   #75
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
I had a little play in the snow with my recovery 6x6 today. Building the snow plow now.

https://youtu.be/5_7niPXyamU
The plow looks fun and not small. Perhaps some tires chains to throw down some traction?
Quote:
Yeah, those Capra's are lame--getting stuck all the time and having to be rescued by a trail rig. Ha.

Plow looks nice on the bench. Can't wait to see it in action. I used to plow snow on my 1/13 scale outdoor railway and if conditions were right it was awesome. If accumulation and temperature were not right it was pure frustration.
Looks like you guys are getting some snow. It’s still dry here. What little snow is left has now compacted into ice. It always happens when you are actually looking forward to it arriving
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post

The video was awesome smog - has me considering trax.
Thanks mewalsh. The Trax feel right at home in the snow. Not sure I would really enjoy them on dry terrain, they don’t conform to the landscape like a tire and so run kinda klunky in rough conditions. Snow smooths out the gaps and bumps and these things spin over small stuff with relative ease. It’s a different experience, but certainly brings some joy into winter
Old 12-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Looks like you guys are getting some snow. It’s still dry here. What little snow is left has now compacted into ice. It always happens when you are actually looking forward to it arriving

Thanks mewalsh. The Trax feel right at home in the snow. Not sure I would really enjoy them on dry terrain, they don’t conform to the landscape like a tire and so run kinda klunky in rough conditions. Snow smooths out the gaps and bumps and these things spin over small stuff with relative ease. It’s a different experience, but certainly brings some joy into winter
Sorry to highjack your thread.

We're at about 20" in the last week which is a lot for this time of year. But the weather says possible 40s next week. It could all be gone. Either way I always find a way to have fun with my manboy toys as my wife calls them lol.

Last edited by mgputer; 12-03-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:23 AM   #77
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Sorry to highjack your thread.

We're at about 20" in the last week which is a lot for this time of year. But the weather says possible 40s next week. It could all be gone. Either way I always find a way to have fun with my manboy toys as my wife calls them lol.

Hey, no apologies please!

I am enjoying all the winter joy in this thread. Keep it coming. I look forward to seeing the plow in action. If the snow melts it only means another first snowfall( at least that’s how I am spinning it for myself)
Old 12-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hey, no apologies please!

I am enjoying all the winter joy in this thread. Keep it coming. I look forward to seeing the plow in action. If the snow melts it only means another first snowfall( at least that’s how I am spinning it for myself)
LoL. Yes at first it's hard to wait but by January it's like I'm sick of snow already. Lol

Old 12-03-2019, 09:38 AM   #79
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
LoL. Yes at first it's hard to wait but by January it's like I'm sick of snow already. Lol

I used to feel that way until I picked up a snowmobile. If there is one good thing about the late arriving snow, it is helping the lakes and rivers freeze nice and thick. No snow+cold weather=thick ice. Sets up safe conditions for backcountry snowmobiling this winter.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I used to feel that way until I picked up a snowmobile. If there is one good thing about the late arriving snow, it is helping the lakes and rivers freeze nice and thick. No snow+cold weather=thick ice. Sets up safe conditions for backcountry snowmobiling this winter.
Indeed. I have ATV and run the trails but never got a snowmobile. Most times the trails are so beat down to the dirt you don't want a sled. Around here there's no where to go for exploring etc. And the lake's and river are so full of ice shacks you have to idle every where and deal with crabby fisherman because you are scaring away the fish. I have been chased off the lake many times. Not worth it. That's why I build RC all the time. Nothing else to do for fun.

Winter is Coming............again? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COMING SOON the NEW Cross-Rc upgrades coming soon!!! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 05-10-2019 05:38 PM
Winter is coming.... twisted Axial Yeti 14 09-12-2016 03:31 PM
Winter is coming fuglio New Mexico 1 12-15-2015 12:45 PM
Rs coming what do you think TIMBERDOVII Redcat Crawlers 4 05-23-2010 03:55 PM
Its coming! norcallump HPI Wheely King 9 01-23-2010 12:08 AM