RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   80mm Shocks? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/612964-80mm-shocks.html)

Jackson233 11-05-2019 10:39 AM

80mm Shocks?

I'd like to lower my TRX4 slightly in the interest of scale, and wondered if I can simply change the stock shocks to these?

GPM Racing Aluminum Ball Top Damper (80mm) With 1.2mm Coil Spring & Aluminum Collars & Washers & Screws & Dust-proof Black Plastic Cover - 1pr Set Black DP080

CODYBOY 11-05-2019 01:41 PM

Re: 80mm Shocks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackson233 (Post 5975222)
I'd like to lower my TRX4 slightly in the interest of scale, and wondered if I can simply change the stock shocks to these?

GPM Racing Aluminum Ball Top Damper (80mm) With 1.2mm Coil Spring & Aluminum Collars & Washers & Screws & Dust-proof Black Plastic Cover - 1pr Set Black DP080

You probably can, but I'm not sure about the quality of the GPM shocks. The Traxxas shocks are some of the best out there. Have you thought about shimming your shocks just below the piston to limit travel? JMO "thumbsup"
Ernie

odomandr 11-05-2019 02:01 PM

Tra2659 are the big bore equivalent to 80mm. I’d recommend a new rebuild kit to go with them as the last set I ordered was from the 90s and the rubber diaphragm and o rings were hard and dry

mewalsh100 11-06-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CODYBOY (Post 5975287)
You probably can, but I'm not sure about the quality of the GPM shocks. The Traxxas shocks are some of the best out there. Have you thought about shimming your shocks just below the piston to limit travel? JMO "thumbsup"
Ernie

I agree with Ernie - Keep the shocks and just run 10mm of fuel line under the piston to limit the travel or stroke to 80mm. Cheap, easy and effective. "thumbsup"

Jackson233 11-07-2019 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mewalsh100 (Post 5975555)
I agree with Ernie - Keep the shocks and just run 10mm of fuel line under the piston to limit the travel or stroke to 80mm. Cheap, easy and effective. "thumbsup"

Will this method allow my truck to sit lower to the ground?

Voodoobrew 11-07-2019 10:24 PM

Yes. We'll kinda. This limits the down travel. Depending on your build it may not make you sit lower.

You can steal the pen springs out of clicky pens and put those inside the shocks. That would work better then gas line imo.

If you can mount the top higher or further forward or back would be better imo.

Do they make extended shock towers for the trx4?

Lighter weight springs would be good too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mewalsh100 11-08-2019 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoobrew (Post 5975847)
Yes. We'll kinda. This limits the down travel. Depending on your build it may not make you sit lower.

You can steal the pen springs out of clicky pens and put those inside the shocks. That would work better then gas line imo.

If you can mount the top higher or further forward or back would be better imo.

Do they make extended shock towers for the trx4?

Lighter weight springs would be good too.

I've done both mods. As far as "working better", it depends on what all the OP is after. Pen mod will assist more in stancing the truck lower. Fuel line or similar works better for a purely, static limiter. If he's after more "scale" articulation, versus pronounced "flex", the fuel line will definitely achieve that. The pen spring mod will allow for more of the down stroke of the shock (minus the fully compressed length of the internal pen spring).

What I have not done is a combination of the two. Might be interesting to do 5mm of fuel line and the pen spring mod - Determine spring length to get it so the fully compressed length is 5mm. So you end up with -10 mm to get 80mm and you achieve the lower stance and limit articulation for a more "scale" appearance. Not really my thing as I'm not one to intentionally inhibit a trucks performance, but in theory, I could see how it would work very well to achieve that desired scale affect, especially while the rig is functioning on the trail / rocks.

Voodoobrew 11-08-2019 06:02 AM

If the length of the fuel line is shorter the the resting compression of the spring sag or preload, the truck will not sit any lower. This is why I would suggest the pen mod.

Voodoobrew 11-08-2019 06:05 AM

Personally I like the desert lizard shocks. They come with a bunch of springs and are very adjustable. They also do droop setups that can lower the truck like you want.

Jackson233 11-08-2019 07:19 AM

Great discussion benefiting me, so thank you gentlemen.

I'm really after more scalish looks than overall performance given I won't likely be going any further than my own backyard given my disability.

I am somewhat limited in my shock selection here in Canada and any purchases stateside over $70+ often get hit with duty taxes at the border + the exchange rate sucks.

I have been looking at the G-Made products available here, including the Transition series which has a 'droop' setup option.

mewalsh100 11-08-2019 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoobrew (Post 5975878)
If the length of the fuel line is shorter the the resting compression of the spring sag or preload, the truck will not sit any lower. This is why I would suggest the pen mod.

Agreed - as I stated above. The fuel line would simply work as a static limiter of overall stroke / shock travel. OP may be interested in this as well if he’s going for a more “scale” feel with the rig.