Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: need a little help choosing portal cover weights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2020, 01:26 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default need a little help choosing portal cover weights

I have the Bronco version of the TRX4, I had been planning to get a pair of the SSD portal covers as I had read so many good things about them on here.
These ones: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SSD-RC-Bras...UAAOSwT2dZ84IE

I knew I would not be able to use my axial beadlocks with the larger portal covers. I have some sets of the G-made steelies, and I knew someone that had similar portal covers so I test fit the G-made wheels and they fit over them just fine. He has the yeah racing ones and they look like they are heavier, so now I am wondering if I should go for those instead?
These: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yeah-Racing...UAAOSw26BfCgbO

Then, while looking around I found these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Heavy-...wAAOSwooRZks8T

I kinda' like that last one above because it just bolts to the stock plastic covers (easier to get bearing in and out of). What I'm iffy on is only the 2 screws to hold them on, but they do look like they would be snug in there.

So I basically like all three for different reasons. The SSD's because of good reviews, the yeah racing because they are the heaviest, and the china ones because they are the easiest to remove.

I currently have hot racing covers up front, and those would go to the rear (unless I got 2 pair of the china ones). I also have a good amount of lead tucked away in the front of the chassis that I'm hoping to not need anymore once I decide on a set of portal weights.

I winter-bash with this truck in the snow up here, and when I do, I take out all my ballast, so that is a consideration. (I have extra stock portal covers).

Thoughts opinions?
andymac0035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2020, 01:43 PM   #2

Default Re: need a little help choosing portal cover weights

I have the SSDs front and back and they are awesome. You get what you pay for and the fit and finish on these is fantastic!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
vasdimpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:53 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasdimpop View Post
I have the SSDs front and back and they are awesome. You get what you pay for and the fit and finish on these is fantastic!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Very true! I have the hot racing portal covers and ssd beadlocks. Everything fits perfectly fine. I'm not sure about the quality of the cheaper brass options. I was a bit afraid to try the myself lol

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
talltee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:51 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I run the SSD and they fit great.

If I remember correctly the reason I picked these over the yeah racing was the weight. I read somewhere that the YR’s are 118g for the pair. So 64g each vs. the SSD which are 75g each.
PFongemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:26 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFongemie View Post
I run the SSD and they fit great.

If I remember correctly the reason I picked these over the yeah racing was the weight. I read somewhere that the YR’s are 118g for the pair. So 64g each vs. the SSD which are 75g each.
I have the chinesium ones... And can vouch they work fine with my 3 different sets of beadlocks...also, the 2 holes are all thats needed, bolt-wise, as the center hole is sort-of a "press-fit" against the actual inner portal cover's circumference.

R.C. means both;Remote control, and Rock Crawler.
23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:36 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I'm also running the SSD portal weights front and rear on two trucks. No complaints.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:55 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Another vote for Ssd.

Fit, finish is great.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:10 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

So I guess I was under the impression that the yeah racing ones were 118g each, as I thought they looked larger than the SSD, and therefore more material. Or does SSD use something heavier than brass?

So I guess I am pretty much sold on the SSD ones, but would like to know if anyone that has them is using the G-made steelies with them? Asking to verify that there are no clearance issues.

I am referring to the SR series, I'm running the 03 version, but the backside should all the same on all of them I do believe. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gmade-1-10-...QAAOSw1iNbCtHR

Old 11-25-2020, 04:01 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I have 2 sets of gmade steelies that I run. Not sure on their model #. No issues with the ssd portal brass on front and both front/back.

Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #10

I have two sets of SSD’s for sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Damond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:07 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Benp, thanks for the confirmation on wheel fitment with the SSD's.

In regards to the earlier thought that the 2nd ones were not heavier than SSD, I found another listing for the yeah racing one's, and according to the listing, they are 118g each (not for the pair).

So that makes it a little harder to go for the SSD.... hmmm... decisions... decisions...
Old 11-29-2020, 07:51 PM   #12

I need to do the same, went to order the SSD but ouch $44/pair? I thought maybe $50/set. Lol
JNM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:48 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23drumerboy View Post
I have the chinesium ones... And can vouch they work fine with my 3 different sets of beadlocks...also, the 2 holes are all thats needed, bolt-wise, as the center hole is sort-of a "press-fit" against the actual inner portal cover's circumference.

R.C. means both;Remote control, and Rock Crawler.
I looked at the ones you have on your truck (chinesium), as I thought you were saying they were the same as the 3rd choice I had listed in post #1, but I see they are different. So I looked into the ones you have a little more, but not sure if they would be a viable option as the wheels I was going to use tuck in an extra 2mm (positive offset), and I see you are running extended hexes.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:59 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Took the lead chassis weight out of the TRX4 today (right in front of the steering linkage) : 260g,
I was surprised as I was not sure how much I fit in there. The main piece looks like an overgrown cross member (200g) and another smaller piece just behind the bumper mount.

So now I am trying to do the math here:
-260oz (lead)
-80oz (current brass front portal covers that will go to the rear)

Potential choices for weight added back:
+150g (SSD 75oz each side)
+236g (yeah racing 118oz each side)
+160g (chineasium 80oz each side)

I can also obviously add some of the lead back, but I'd like to make the truck lighter if I can. With all the lead it weighs a little over 8 lbs (not including battery). It came in a little under 7 1/2 lbs minus the lead.

I don't think it's as simple as matching the weight #'s though, as I would think that weight at the portals has more of an impact than sprung weight in the chassis rails.

Also, side note/question:
Does anyone know if the SSD portal weights will clear axial beadlocks? It looks like they might. I run those at the moment as I have several sets (in addition to the G-made steelies).

Some pics just to give an idea of how steep the truck could climb with the set-up I had in place:
(shorty lipo in front tray) (the axial wheels have 1.5 oz lead per wheel)

This one is right one the verge of going over, it didn't make it much further, as the ledge leans to the driver's side and you start getting pulled there as you go up. That weight up high under the hood is a mixed bag.
Old 12-15-2020, 12:06 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Looking at your pics (especially the last pic), some stiffer foams (at least in the rear) might have a greater impact on climbing ability than adding weight to the front.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:31 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Looking at your pics (especially the last pic), some stiffer foams (at least in the rear) might have a greater impact on climbing ability than adding weight to the front.
Yeah they do squish a little, but not usually like that. I let the truck roll back slightly into that spot so I could take the pic. Normally it's the fronts that look squished if just sitting there. I do run soft foams, but I also keep my tires sealed. It really helps on the lower (altitude) part of the trails on the mountains up here. (as I go up, the tires get firmer).

It climbs pretty steep as long as it's straight-on. The issue I run into is all the weight in the front right under the hood.... once it shifts to one side, tends to pull the truck right on over. Don't get me wrong ... it does pretty darn good, I'm just trying to make it better.

I do plan to experiment with firmer foams, but want to get this sorted out first.

Really curious if anyone knows whether or not the axial wheels I had fit off ther the SSD portal weights?

need a little help choosing portal cover weights - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New SSD Brass Portal Weights SSD Traxxas TRX-4 21 12-26-2020 02:27 PM
Rear Portal Axle Cover too Small for Bearings madbikes Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 0 07-26-2020 01:03 AM
Ssd portal weights for trx4 sport????? garage-boo Newbie General 9 03-20-2019 06:24 PM