RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   Rear steer can it be done on a trx4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/613144-rear-steer-can-done-trx4.html)

big specht 11-13-2019 04:52 AM

Rear steer can it be done on a trx4

Can rear steer be done with the stock Traxxas radio and rx ? That works independently of the frt?

brimdogg 11-13-2019 04:53 AM

Re: Rear steer can it be done on a trx4

Quote:

Originally Posted by big specht (Post 5976904)
Can rear steer be done with the stock Traxxas radio and rx ? That works independently of the frt?

No

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Deadmetal 11-13-2019 05:55 AM

Yes it can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greatscott 11-13-2019 06:03 AM

Yup...

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...-Steering-(4WS)

big specht 11-13-2019 01:51 PM

Yea I seen that thread but every body has the steering working in unison with the frt just opposite. I would like to control it independently

Greatscott 11-13-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big specht (Post 5976997)
Yea I seen that thread but every body has the steering working in unison with the frt just opposite. I would like to control it independently

That is all in the radio set up, which is really the easy part of getting rear-steering on to the TRX4.

big specht 11-13-2019 06:38 PM

But that’s probably nothing that can be setup in the oem radio is it? I’m willing to mod the radio if I have too that’s not a issue

Greatscott 11-13-2019 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big specht (Post 5977058)
But that’s probably nothing that can be setup in the oem radio is it? I’m willing to mod the radio if I have too that’s not a issue

Depends...

If it is the Sport radio, no, it only has two channels.

If it is a defender radio, you should be able to mod the high-low thumb switch into three position. Of course, you'll loss the transmission function.

I am not a fan of FlySky radios, but this is a good option to get a higher-channel count radio for not much money. Of course the number of channels depends on what flavor of TRX4 you have, and what remote accessories (winch) you are running. The radio linked below isn't a bad deal for six channels.

https://www.amazon.com/Flysky-FS-GT5...a-568211137580

big specht 11-14-2019 06:35 PM

It’s the bronco trx4. I would like to put a momentary switch in there for the rear steer if I could

Greatscott 11-14-2019 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big specht (Post 5977184)
It’s the bronco trx4. I would like to put a momentary switch in there for the rear steer if I could

Looks like the Bronco comes with the 4-channel radio, so it can be done off of the transmission channel. But, you'd lose the ability to remotely change gears.

Also, rear-steer is a great low-speed option, but is horrible at high speeds, it makes the truck very unstable.

ScaleLifeNewbie 12-10-2020 02:14 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but did this plan ever go through?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

big specht 12-10-2020 05:25 PM

Lol nope not yet that parts got put on the back burner basically cause I couldn’t find a radio that would let me still run the two speed and diffs and have a self centering rear steer. The return to straight is the deal killer for me on the rear diff and being able to just turn it alittle just like the frt not have a all or none switch for the rear steer

Honeyman108 12-10-2020 06:37 PM

6 Attachment(s)
BUZZZ.... BUZZZZ..... Fellow Crawlers....

Yes 4WS TRX4 it can and has Been done and I am almost ready to build my 4WS TRX4 ill be posting the build thread very soon!!!

very simply you need the front axle in the back and the Panhard mount and one less upper link its really not that difficult there is no drilling..

I had to just purchase front shock towers for both front and rear Samix makes great front Panhard and you just reverse in the rear as well as the servo as the servo mount replaces the rear brace!!!

Now for radio The Traxxas TQi can be programmed to do a lot of hacks but for the 4WS its only going to be able to work with a 4WS Kit like the Bastens QuadSteer 4 Wheel Steering Control Module Works with Either 2Ch or 3Ch transmitters and the yes a Futaba 7PX or 7PV would be great with seven channels but all you need is the flysky GT5 6 channel Radio which has the 4 steering modes available now the Honey Crawler TRX4 project i have a thread on here I use (channel 1 steering) (channel 2 throttle) (channel 3 trans hi/lo shifter) (channel 4 Accessory on/off switch for lights or whatever) (channel 5 front diff lock) (channel 6 Rear diff lock). this works amazing and flawless!!!!

now I am locking the diffs on all my TRX4 projects including the 4WS
so ill be freeing up channels 5 and 6 for my winches!!!

Ive attached some photos of the gear!!! BUZZZZZZZ...... ALOHA....

big specht 12-11-2020 04:57 AM

I have that Bastens QuadSteer 4 Wheel Steering Control Module but couldn’t get it to work like it would like it to work. I would like to have a self centering steering switch for the rear steer. Keep us posted on your build.

Honeyman108 12-11-2020 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big specht (Post 6057340)
I have that Bastens QuadSteer 4 Wheel Steering Control Module but couldn’t get it to work like it would like it to work. I would like to have a self centering steering switch for the rear steer. Keep us posted on your build.

BUZZZZ..... WILL DO FOR SURE!! Yeah the Bastens is still limiting now as fa as centering the Flysky GT5 will center the 2 servos in Crawl mode and the servos im using on the build will be the reefs 500 which I can program to center with the reefs usb link!! another hack is using your quad steer first center the front servo then unplug it and plug the rear and center that I heard that can work???

Ill BUZZZ when I start the build thread...... BUZZZZZ.....

Evo93 12-11-2020 10:19 AM

I used a hacked flysky gt3c and with that I can switch between 4ws, crabwalk, and regular steering. Can also adjust how much it turns the rear compared to the front. Worked really well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Honeyman108 12-12-2020 03:28 PM

Re: Rear steer (Honey 4WS Comp Crawler)

3 Attachment(s)
here is the base of the chassis I always set up a base project to get ideas and this build will start soon the high body post is on the rear as an accessory maybe as this like all my rigs I keep half cab no rear bed Yet!! BUZZZZ.....