Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: My sport kit build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2020, 07:33 PM   #1

Default My sport kit build

I decided to finally get a truck after a 15 year break from rc drifting. I’m still missing the tx/rx, servo, and battery and I’m trying to support my LHS ( where I got the kit and esc/motor) but they don’t have many options for servos or batteries. They do have a Futaba 3pv with telemetry that I might get but still debating. Any recommendations on in stock servos, and batteries? I do plan on making this truck pretty heavy so I would like a quality servo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sausage gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2020, 07:37 PM   #2

Default Re: My sport kit build

Old 04-21-2020, 07:43 PM   #3

Welcome to the site!

I like the choice of paint. It looks good.

I'd suggest the Savox 2290 if you want a top of the line servo. The Holmes Hobbies SHV500v3 is great too. The SHV500v3 runs directly off of the battery. The 2290 will work well with the Mamba X.

The 3PV is a good transmitter, but it's only 3 channel. If you plan on getting into a TRX-4, Capra, SCX10 III or one of those rigs you may need more than 3-channels. I'm using 5 channels on my SCX10 III.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:50 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

I like the choice of paint.
You're just biased. LOL!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Welcome to the site!

I like the choice of paint. It looks good.

I'd suggest the Savox 2290 if you want a top of the line servo. The Holmes Hobbies SHV500v3 is great too. The SHV500v3 runs directly off of the battery. The 2290 will work well with the Mamba X.

The 3PV is a good transmitter, but it's only 3 channel. If you plan on getting into a TRX-4, Capra, SCX10 III or one of those rigs you may need more than 3-channels. I'm using 5 channels on my SCX10 III.

I was trying to convince myself that the 2290 was an overkill and that I didn’t need it it I relapsed hard on this RC drug and it’s currently in the cart. I’m thinking I can save some money on the radio since I don’t plan on running 2speed.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:23 AM   #6

Lookup reefs rc and check out their servos if you turkey want the best servo out there. 555 oz torque, sealed brushless with ti gears
Thedesertplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:38 AM   #7
Slow is the new Fast

I have the Mamba setup in my Sport build. Love it! Which motor did you go with?

the forest green is a great color
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage gut View Post
I was trying to convince myself that the 2290 was an overkill and that I didn’t need it it I relapsed hard on this RC drug and it’s currently in the cart. I’m thinking I can save some money on the radio since I don’t plan on running 2speed.

I started off with cheap servos, but now I don't skimp on servos even if I used a budget ESC and/or motor. It's so nice to have a reliable servo and one that will turn the wheels when you want without hesitation.

That's fine, but if you plan on getting other RC's in the future you may need more channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedesertplumber View Post
Lookup reefs rc and check out their servos if you turkey want the best servo out there. 555 oz torque, sealed brushless with ti gears
Not sure why you'd want a turkey servo. Calling the Reefs best at anything is very debatable though. And there's so much proven competition in that price range.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I have the Mamba setup in my Sport build. Love it! Which motor did you go with?

the forest green is a great color

I’ve got the 2850. I’m excited to see how this thing performs. Which motor did you go with? Also, did yours come with body pins? I find it funny that my kit came with the body pre cut and all the accessories but not pins to hold the body in. Maybe it’s just a preference thing or maybe I’m just an old school RCer and body pins are a thing of the past

Old 04-22-2020, 08:46 PM   #10

Small update. I just ordered a servo and bought a 3pv from my LHS. I also hated how stiff the tires felt so I did some trimming on the stock foam. Still looking for a decent charger and battery.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:17 AM   #11

What Spyderco is that?

Hitec and Venom make nice chargers. I highly suggest spending the extra $20 for the dual battery charger. It's nice to be able to charge two batteries at once.

Batteries are like asking for the best color. Do you want 2S or 3S and full-size pack or shorty?
Old 04-23-2020, 08:33 AM   #12
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage gut View Post
I’ve got the 2850. I’m excited to see how this thing performs. Which motor did you go with? Also, did yours come with body pins? I find it funny that my kit came with the body pre cut and all the accessories but not pins to hold the body in. Maybe it’s just a preference thing or maybe I’m just an old school RCer and body pins are a thing of the past

I have a 2700kv motor. It’s actually a Holmes Puller Pro as opposed to the Castle Slate. The Slate is a great motor, but I had always wanted to try a Puller Pro so spent a few extra bucks.

The body pins were in a bag with the wrench iirc. I somehow remember them being in an odd spot in the kit. I am okay with body pins, they are simple and convenient and still a relatively universal system of body mounting,
Quote:
What Spyderco is that?

Hitec and Venom make nice chargers. I highly suggest spending the extra $20 for the dual battery charger. It's nice to be able to charge two batteries at once.

Batteries are like asking for the best color. Do you want 2S or 3S and full-size pack or shorty?
I have a Venom charger. It’s been solid. I also have an older Onyx that is super basic. You connect the battery and balancer and it does everything and starts automatically. There is something to be said for simplicity. It’s tough to complain when it continues to perfectly balance the cells.

I agree with Jato, get a charger that does multiple batteries. I wish I had one.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #13

Also just to let you know the canyon trail tires and stock foams take a few runs to get fully broke in. Once they are though they are badass.

BDRiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:57 PM   #14

Quote:
What Spyderco is that?
Manix 2 I believe.
WhiskeyThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:44 AM   #15

I finally got this beast up and running. I’m glad Most of the parts I was looking for we’re not in stock or I would have gotten carried away with this build. Keep in mind that I told my wife I was getting an RTR and I ended up with a build that I am more than happy with. She even bought me the castle Bluetooth adapter so I can tune on the fly. And the knife is a Sage 1

Old 05-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #16

Haven’t had much time to play with this thing due to having a 6 week old baby to take care of but I did have some time last night to clean up the wires a bit.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:34 AM   #17

Nice soldering... I need to do that. Dude the Mamba is impressive!
ChrisSandstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSandstorm View Post
Nice soldering... I need to do that. Dude the Mamba is impressive!

Thanks for the compliment but unfortunately I didn’t do the soldering. all I had was a 15 year old bluepoint butane soldering gun but it wasn’t strong enough so I had the local hobby store do all connectors to xt60. I’m very happy with the mamba. Every morning I strap my 6 week old baby to my chest and I bring her and my dog walking the local trails behind my house and this truck is way more fun than any other rc car I’ve ever owned. It’s been on 5 long trail walks and I haven’t broken anything yet. I can’t say that for any other car I’ve owned.

Old 05-06-2020, 05:50 PM   #19

Just got this guy installed. There’s a Little Rock section thats been kicking my ass every time I go out and I plan on climbing it today

Old 05-16-2020, 12:22 AM   #20

Did some free mods today. I put on the black fender decals, flipped the bumper support, raised the rock sliders and hacked the body up a bit. I do plan on doing some wheels, tires, and some brass goodies.

My sport kit build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
akumu - TRX4 Sport kit build v33 Traxxas TRX-4 9 04-24-2021 12:15 AM
TinyTrux TRX-4 Sport Kit Build-out tinytrux Traxxas TRX-4 46 05-21-2019 06:56 AM
trx4 sport kit build traxxas79k5 Traxxas TRX-4 0 05-20-2019 07:35 AM
Alex's TRX4 Sport kit build alexleblanc Traxxas TRX-4 13 05-06-2019 11:46 AM