RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   New TRX4 Questions. (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/614204-new-trx4-questions.html)

xjman 12-30-2019 05:38 PM

Re: New TRX4 Questions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5986746)
That terrain is very similar to where I run. Checkout Proline Hyrax or TSL Super Swampers in Predator compound. Rock Beasts in Alien Kompound are great, but they are way more expensive and not worth the extra cost IMO.

I'll hunt the TSL's down. I had a set of TSL's once for my Jeep. I'll give them a go on a scaleish truck. Do they fit the RC4wd beadlocks pretty well? I know back in the past some of the proline tires had a thin bead and not all proline tires held well in them.

xjman 12-31-2019 12:31 PM

Sorry for the double post, but they do not fit the RC4WD beadlocks that I have. Its nearly impossible to clamp the beadlock, and if you do get it clamped the tire pulls right out. So I'm back off to the hobby shop to see what else they may have in stock. They had a set of vanquish I may pick up.

JatoTheRipper 12-31-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjman (Post 5986935)
Sorry for the double post, but they do not fit the RC4WD beadlocks that I have. Its nearly impossible to clamp the beadlock, and if you do get it clamped the tire pulls right out. So I'm back off to the hobby shop to see what else they may have in stock. They had a set of vanquish I may pick up.

Which RC4WD beadlocks?

vf750rider 12-31-2019 06:43 PM

I've had my TRX4 about 5 months, and I certainly am NOT an expert about any of this. But your 3S batt comes to my mind...

I've noticed that loose dirt seems usually the most difficult to deal with on an incline - that and 3+ inches deep of leaves. I've also noticed a world of difference between 1st gear and 2nd gear in the loose stuff, and (as you'd expect) a world of difference between locked and unlocked diffs. I'm running a 2S batt and I was amazed at the traction difference between 1st gear vs. 2nd gear at a dead stop to barely moving... even though I squeezed as light as I could, 1st gear would allow truck to move in many places where 2nd gear always spun tires.

I've not yet tried a 3S but I'm told it's basically faster. So maybe running a 3S is like giving up lower 1st gear because you just can't squeeze gently enough for the increased 'horsepower'?

xjman 01-01-2020 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5986955)
Which RC4WD beadlocks?

I've had them for quite a few years now. Nothing they have on their website now are exactly like it. On mine the rings clam via thru bolts to the actual wheel.

I picked up some of the vanquish ones that worked better. I wish they didn't have 1000 screws, but they work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vf750rider (Post 5987007)
I've had my TRX4 about 5 months, and I certainly am NOT an expert about any of this. But your 3S batt comes to my mind...

I've noticed that loose dirt seems usually the most difficult to deal with on an incline - that and 3+ inches deep of leaves. I've also noticed a world of difference between 1st gear and 2nd gear in the loose stuff, and (as you'd expect) a world of difference between locked and unlocked diffs. I'm running a 2S batt and I was amazed at the traction difference between 1st gear vs. 2nd gear at a dead stop to barely moving... even though I squeezed as light as I could, 1st gear would allow truck to move in many places where 2nd gear always spun tires.

I've not yet tried a 3S but I'm told it's basically faster. So maybe running a 3S is like giving up lower 1st gear because you just can't squeeze gently enough for the increased 'horsepower'?

Gearing takes leverage away from the motor and adding power keeps the motors mechanical advantage but, adds umph. I don't think the added power is the problem, its likely more in the weight area. However, I don't know that dropping to a 2s battery would be enough to make a notable difference.

I'm going to go out and check out a new ESC or external bec and servo today. I've got a hitec 7980 floating around with some 7955s from my giant scale stuff but I don't think the traxxas built in BEC is going to have the balls. I hate soldering but I'm going to go look at the castle bec or a hobby wing esc. Would the 3 amp bec be enough for the truck, or should I really get the 10 amp and solder it all in.