Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Rebuilding a used Sport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2020, 09:17 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Rebuilding a used Sport

I have a Power Wagon body that I keep intending on putting on something and I always change my mind. I had settled on putting it on my Sport and now it seems that I have changed my mind again. That Bug body looks incredible on there.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2020, 12:43 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

And it's one half the price of the Power Wagon body....
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:03 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
And it's one half the price of the Power Wagon body....
I already bought the Power Wagon Body a year ago. I'll put it on something one day. At least that's what I keep telling myself...
Old 01-17-2020, 06:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
I already bought the Power Wagon Body a year ago. I'll put it on something one day. At least that's what I keep telling myself...
I'm in the same boat! Bought the PW body for my SCX10 II build, I believe it was last year, and never used it and now I bought a second. They're great looking bodies. The two piece is a kind of a PITA though.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:44 AM   #25
Gold Star Baby!

This came out great! I really like it. Nice pick up! 4 TRX’s is quite the collection but you seem to be taking each one in good directions.

It was helpful to see you work with the bug body, I have one of those around and am considering putting it on the trx10.2 so this really helped visualize that process.

Thanks for sharing
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the inspiration. I need to pick up a front bumper and cut the frame rails and mod the bumper that I want to use on the rear. I also need to trim the fenders to a more reasonable size and shape. I assume that you didn't use the body posts from the Sport on the rear? Mine are a good bit too short.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

^^ Looks great!! No, rear body posts were the long versions.

Way happy with how this came out, can't wait to test it out.... I've updated my spreadsheet to reflect all 4 currently. Still have a portal delete kit and front motor kit that may get worked in somewhere.

Last edited by OSRC; 01-20-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:10 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Nice rig. I really like the bug body on the TRX-4.

Is there really a 54T spur gear available for the TRX-4? I've got three Sports, and to slow them down, I've always just swapped out the 39T stock spur for 45T spur gears and 9-11T pinions.
boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:38 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Only if your dyslexic like me... Sometimes I write S for 5, get 2 and 5 mixed up, etc. It's a pita. Sorry, it is a 45 - thanks for pointing it out, and I will fix my chart.

Last edited by OSRC; 01-20-2020 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:20 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Finally got this build out for a test. All I can say is wow! Sometimes you get a fresh build off the bench and sucks (my SCX10 for example was miles off) and sometimes it performs fantastic - this was definitely the latter.

These tires are fantastic, wow. Grip for days! A heavy truck helps for sure but so far I'm super impressed with the Predator compound.

The shocks are set in semi droop, so the chassis sits somewhat low. Basically all the lower links are level. The body is light as heck, so the weight is down pretty low, though I still have plenty of clearance with the portals. About as good a stance as it gets with the TRX platform. It's way stable, miles away from my Defender. Nothing on my course even made it work hard...can't wait to get this out on the wild.

The new Crawlmaster "red label" motors are incredible. Super smooth and loads of power. Definitely my new go to motor! I do need to bump the gearing, it was way slow...9/54 is perfect for 3S though I still just run 2S.

Thought this was a cool shot - I set this up for video...though it would make for some cool shots (if I ever get around to making videos again.)

Old 03-23-2020, 10:57 AM   #31
Gold Star Baby!

Congrats on a successful rebuild! She looks great in the sun, happy to hear it did well for you.

Agreed on the predator KM3s. Both sizes have been treating me well.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:57 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

That looks awesome!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
aqualungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:39 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Good looking rig! You’d never notice the custom work at first glance, but nice attention to detail
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:56 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Took the bug on 1 trail run. Did incredible... Then this happened... lockdown boredom gone amok.

I had a set of Enduro axles laying around, and some time to kill. Hmm... turns out they are a great fit. Really lowers down the chassis.

A spare Defender body for now...really don't like the orange, but not enough to buy a new one...I ordered some new chassis rails for all of $10 shipped so I can swap it back with the correct bumpers and what not.

Not sure if it'll stay this way, but with the lower stance it should be a pretty decent performer if I can get the gearing and setup right.

This is what happened to the axles....I'm not 100% sold on this setup though. But that's for another thread.

Last edited by OSRC; 07-14-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:36 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

Default Rebuilding a used Sport

Quote:
Took the bug on 1 trail run. Did incredible... Then this happened... lockdown boredom gone amok.

I had a set of Enduro axles laying around, and some time to kill. Hmm... turns out they are a great fit. Really lowers down the chassis.

A spare Defender body for now...really don't like the orange, but not enough to buy a new one...I ordered some new chassis rails for all of $10 shipped so I can swap it back with the correct bumpers and what not.

Not sure if it'll stay this way, but with the lower stance it should be a pretty decent performer if I can get the gearing and setup right.

This is what happened to the axles....I'm not 100% sold on this setup though. But that's for another thread.

Nice!!!

I’m currently monkeying with a similar shock setup as the last picture using desert lizards as well.

ETA - I asked you this in the other thread but what stinger bumper is that. I’m currently looking for one with a stinger that has a good tilt to like yours.

Last edited by Benp; 07-15-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:09 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

When I built my TRX4 axle/VS4 chassis/VFD trans rig I went with a 45t spur and a 20T pinion (32p) and the wheelspeed is OK with my brushed setup, it really needs a brushless imo.
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:31 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
Nice!!!
ETA - I asked you this in the other thread but what stinger bumper is that. I’m currently looking for one with a stinger that has a good tilt to like yours.
It's a KYX, nothing fancy. I beat the heck out of one this weekend and it held up perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexleblanc View Post
When I built my TRX4 axle/VS4 chassis/VFD trans rig I went with a 45t spur and a 20T pinion (32p) and the wheelspeed is OK with my brushed setup, it really needs a brushless imo.
I figured the gearing would be an issue. I've since removed the TRX axles and picked up the front VP axle. It sat a little high for my tastes, even with the Desert Lizards in droop.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:36 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
It's a KYX, nothing fancy. I beat the heck out of one this weekend and it held up perfectly.

I figured the gearing would be an issue. I've since removed the TRX axles and picked up the front VP axle. It sat a little high for my tastes, even with the Desert Lizards in droop.

Thanks!!!!
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:15 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I've got some OD gears that I'm going to put in both axles to get some wheelspeed.
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rebuilding a used Sport - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas trx 4 sport vs redcat gen 7 sport part 2! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 08-03-2018 06:31 AM
Traxxas trx 4 sport vs redcat gen 7 sport! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 07-23-2018 07:19 AM
Rebuilding my ax-10 wvbigal Axial AX-10 Scorpion 36 04-07-2013 09:25 PM
Rebuilding my RTR jdoubleu80 Axial Wraith 13 01-25-2013 09:56 PM
Rebuilding my pc. Mikekx65 Chit Chat 26 09-30-2007 10:16 AM