Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX4 Test Runs on My Rock Walls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2020, 06:08 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default TRX4 Test Runs on My Rock Walls

I took a couple clips after installing the HH SVh 500 v3 and Puller Pro 2700 v2.

First things first I apologize for the crappy video. Trying to figure out best way to do this myself.

First one is with the phone attached to the folded antenna on my Gt5. It’s been HOT this week so I played down on the wall in the shade and deer flies.

https://youtu.be/i-YwfCrqAgQ

Next set was last evening on the main wall that is a bear temp wise during the day. I used a small tripod this time. Run #4 is just me redoing the #3 line again.

At some point during this, the lower panhard mount screw started pulling out and at the final flop it was tore out.

These 4 are just going across the wall. Not real easy for me and I flop a lot. The reason why the truck body looks like the cat uses it for a scratching post.

https://youtu.be/ZHXpGqxsFO0

https://youtu.be/pAVuhd0BpkI

https://youtu.be/yvlHsHD5F1Q

https://youtu.be/s78yquWk2sU

Next one is pretty easy straight up line.

https://youtu.be/sACR1EYb5W8

Final one with flop and scramble at the end is same as beginning previous line but changed toward end. Tough upper line and even tougher with not perfect steering.

https://youtu.be/Vlw4_uMu0BA

Again sorry about crappy video. Tried to get the dog to film but he uses the no thumbs excuse and the cat.....well he’s a cat.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2020, 06:18 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: TRX4 Test Runs on My Rock Walls

I gotta say, I have seen a lot worse videos! That looks far from crappy to me, I think they look pretty good. I hear you about the cat!
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:43 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I gotta say, I have seen a lot worse videos! That looks far from crappy to me, I think they look pretty good. I hear you about the cat!

Thanks! This newb appreciates it.

I still want to find a better way to rig the phone to the controller. That way I can keep it flowing better like the first one.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:17 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I just bout one of these for my GoPro but it also has a phone holder. I like the color of your truck, I've been looking for a nice tan to paint my Unimog but have been drawing a blank, but adding to the paint inventory looking.

If your looking for a video editor take a look at Shotcut, it's free and the learning curve isn't to bad. There are some tutorials on Youtube for it too.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:42 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I can't remember where a saw it but I ran across a phone mount that clamped on to the transmitter and let you follow the action easily. If can find it again I will post the link.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:29 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I can't remember where a saw it but I ran across a phone mount that clamped on to the transmitter and let you follow the action easily. If can find it again I will post the link.
Traxxas makes one. They reviewed it on YouTube. I am ordering one now.
Attached Images

Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:46 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I actually wound up already having something that works awesome.

Last year I bought a small articulating photography clamp to use for ice fishing.

The tripod cell phone holder screws right on.

Rock solid and can position any way I want.

This is exactly what I envisioned to use.

I put some foam tape on the end of the clamp so it doesn’t mar the controller.

This is the link to it on amazon.

UTEBIT 7 inch Articulating... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GMZRT7L...p_mob_ap_share
Old 07-08-2020, 09:12 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
I actually wound up already having something that works awesome.

Last year I bought a small articulating photography clamp to use for ice fishing.

The tripod cell phone holder screws right on.

Rock solid and can position any way I want.

This is exactly what I envisioned to use.

I put some foam tape on the end of the clamp so it doesn’t mar the controller.

This is the link to it on amazon.

UTEBIT 7 inch Articulating... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GMZRT7L...p_mob_ap_share

That's pretty slick. I need to order one of those
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:30 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Tested out some new parts. Front overdrive, ssd front portal brass and Helios 3s 1500 mah battery.

Also first test for the controller phone mount.

I tried out the wall up by the shop.

https://youtu.be/gZwTA39a_rs

Coming back. I started after the “invisible bridge.”

https://youtu.be/0o7ouVthM-Q

Very very happy with the upgrades. The over drive and brass made a big difference.

The battery is perfect size for my messing around at home. I ran about 45 minutes total today on that battery. When I put it on the charger for storage mode it read 11.56v. Charger cutoff is 11.4v. Perfect.

I really need a stinger front bumper. That would make the approaches into the rock so much easier.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:04 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I bought the Traxxas cell phone bracket for my controller. I would like to know if you are watching the camera to drive ? or guessing where to point the camera and watching the truck to get the best center of frame shooting and the most steady shot ? Either way is much better than one handed recording before.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:10 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
Tested out some new parts. Front overdrive, ssd front portal brass and Helios 3s 1500 mah battery.

Also first test for the controller phone mount.

I tried out the wall up by the shop.

https://youtu.be/gZwTA39a_rs

Coming back. I started after the “invisible bridge.”

https://youtu.be/0o7ouVthM-Q

Very very happy with the upgrades. The over drive and brass made a big difference.

The battery is perfect size for my messing around at home. I ran about 45 minutes total today on that battery. When I put it on the charger for storage mode it read 11.56v. Charger cutoff is 11.4v. Perfect.

I really need a stinger front bumper. That would make the approaches into the rock so much easier.
What size override did you get ? Did you run into any issues with this ? Any thing I should do other than watching Tube videos first ?
Old 07-18-2020, 08:29 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Got the factory traxxas over drive.

https://m.traxxas.com/products/parts/8287

You should be able to find it for $40.

No issues with install. Pretty straight forward.

I have the traxxas under drive as well but I want to run it the way it sits for a while before I install that as well.

I think with both the total front over drive is 25%.

My next project is dialing in the suspension.

I ordered more springs and a bunch of oil weights.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:36 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6x6 View Post
I bought the Traxxas cell phone bracket for my controller. I would like to know if you are watching the camera to drive ? or guessing where to point the camera and watching the truck to get the best center of frame shooting and the most steady shot ? Either way is much better than one handed recording before.

I’m not watching the camera. I tried that and totally messed up. I need to concentrate on the truck.

What I did was flipped up the antenna on the controller.

I positioned the camera in the mount so I could use the antenna as a front sight so to speak.

Where the antenna was aimed, that’s what was getting filmed. Worked out ok. And of course , some luck.

I can’t drive one handed. Tried it and couldn’t get it to work.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:06 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

So you must have the 8287,8288. Please keep us informed of the noticeable differences of just the overdrive and then both. Thank you.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:48 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6x6 View Post
So you must have the 8287,8288. Please keep us informed of the noticeable differences of just the overdrive and then both. Thank you.

You are correct on the part #’s Jeff.

The Ssd portal brass plays a pretty big part as well keeping the front end planted.

The overdrive has helped with tighter turning. On my concrete patio when turning, you can see the front end “skitter” as it comes around because it’s turning faster.

On the rocks when going across and turning up, the front end will come around and the back end will drag a bit or slide. Almost like it pivots. I really really really like that.

And that could be from the weight of the brass planting the front better by not allowing the front to be pushed. It sets the direction you want the truck to go very well.

I also noticed no Adverse effects side hilling straight.

All this being said, the brass and overdrive suits my purposes very well. All I do is rocks or if there was a course. That’s it.

I don’t do the trail. Honestly, I don’t even know if this would be needed for trailing with the occasional rocks.

Last edited by Benp; 07-19-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:10 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Great input as always. I am underdriving the rear as it will have little impact on the drivetrain. After I beef up the front end and driveshafts as recommended...I will do the front. I come from a Trials background. The more technical and extremely difficult ...the better for me. I will stay at a spot for as long as it takes to clear it or decide it is impossible and put a pick ax to it until it just barely is. No trailing here either.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:56 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

I’d be really curious about this on a 6x6.

That’s just an entirety different animal.

The benefit of the trx6 is that you can unlock the diffs so that could have the same effect turning up. Locked in front, open in rear and it should come right around. In my mind anyways.

Lol. You and I are of the same mindset.

I think I spent 15 minutes yesterday on an upward line that was maybe 5ft.

I’m curios about new driveshafts. That will be on the list sometime. Mine are shredded as is whole underside.

I also have hi clearance links. Mocked up the lowers and only thing hanging down was driveshaft. thats not going to work.

The lower links now are effectively sliders and keeps some contact away from driveshafts.

Just like the long arms on my jeep.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:49 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I am tinkering with the two trx-4 lwb I also have. After weighting the trx-6 tires and the tire mods we discussed....I am happy with it’s performance for now. My other rigs run great but after reading your review...I will work with the overdrive,underdrive mods. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:28 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Good deal Jeff!

Played this afternoon a bit down on the Lower walls.

Definitely easier after the upgrades.

https://youtu.be/SOFUjdm-vBg

And then, I had completely forgot about the wall behind the house. Talk about not registering. I saw it cutting grass yesterday.

It is tough.

It’s fun having the truck up higher driving when standing down in front. But you can’t see the drivers side real well. A lot of unseen holes for the wheels to fall in.

Going from the red/brown rock to the light colored one is really fun. I made it once.

I’m not going to chance standing up above while driving. One mis-step and things can get bad.

Looking forward to spending more time on this.

Last edited by Benp; 07-19-2020 at 05:55 PM.

TRX4 Test Runs on My Rock Walls - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tank Driver's XR-10 Test Runs Swiss Rock Force Videos! 2 04-28-2013 01:31 PM
Open Diffs Cherokee - First Test Runs Spidernad Scale Videos! 12 07-02-2012 01:05 PM
Strawb's G-made R1 - Video Test Runs strawb G-Made Crawlers 0 08-06-2010 11:07 PM
TSS G55 test runs pantablo Videos! 1 12-17-2007 12:51 PM
Test Runs @ Pony Pasture '04 Rubicon Videos! 0 11-02-2007 10:24 AM