Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Is there a solution to have more low end torque and more top speed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2020, 04:12 PM   #1

Default Is there a solution to have more low end torque and more top speed?

Is there a solution to have more low end torque and more top speed on the TRX4 with a brush system?

If so, how?
shingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Is there a solution to have more low end torque and more top speed?

2 speed? My Defender with 2 speed and brushed motor had plenty of low end torque and in 2nd gear plenty of wheelspeed.

Also a good motor like one from Holmes hobbies might offer an improvement over stock. Their use of stronger magnets offer more torque and power and in their Pro motors being hand wound and balanced might offer a tiny bit more wheelspeed. Or you could even gear one of these up a bit and still have as much or more torque than stock (just keep an eye on temps).

side note: gear up a stock motor and you loose torque, but if you go with a HH motor since it packs more torque and power with its stronger magnets even when geared up it should in theory still have more torque than a stock sealed can motor.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-02-2020 at 05:06 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:02 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Well it'll go about 11mph on the stock electronics on 3s in 2nd gear. I'd say that's decent for a scale truck. You can gear the pinion up one tooth to a 12 to get a little more speed. If you crave much more speed you really should go brushless.

However, the stock motor is rated for 4s power in the original E-revo it debuted in. So if you ran, for example, a Holmes BRXL esc you could squeeze some speed out of the stock motor with 4s.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
2 speed? My Defender with 2 speed and brushed motor had plenty of low end torque and in 2nd gear plenty of wheelspeed.

Also a good motor like one from Holmes hobbies might offer an improvement over stock. Their use of stronger magnets offer more torque and power and in their Pro motors being hand wound and balanced might offer a tiny bit more wheelspeed. Or you could even gear one of these up a bit and still have as much or more torque than stock (just keep an eye on temps).

side note: gear up a stock motor and you loose torque, but if you go with a HH motor since it packs more torque and power with its stronger magnets even when geared up it should in theory still have more torque than a stock sealed can motor.
I think I will just buy a Holmes Hobbies motor.

I'm looking at the 550 trail master 12t and 21t and also the new crawl master sport 12t.

I'm realy interested in the crawl master 12t, it seem to be able to go really slow and smooth without sacrificing the top speed at all.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:51 AM   #5

If you want gobs of torque and speed you should go brushless.

If you insist on staying brushed then checkout the two speed transmission.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo View Post
I think I will just buy a Holmes Hobbies motor.

I'm looking at the 550 trail master 12t and 21t and also the new crawl master sport 12t.

I'm realy interested in the crawl master 12t, it seem to be able to go really slow and smooth without sacrificing the top speed at all.
Yes the Crawlmaster sport is smoother and almost as fast, but if you want torque you should stick to the Trailmaster, more powerful overall
RCPawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPawel View Post
Yes the Crawlmaster sport is smoother and almost as fast, but if you want torque you should stick to the Trailmaster, more powerful overall
What about the torque master expert 21t

According to HH specs, it’s 27000rpm at 12v and the titan 21t is around 21000rpm at 12v.

Also significantly more torque with the torque master.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:23 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo View Post
What about the torque master expert 21t

According to HH specs, it’s 27000rpm at 12v and the titan 21t is around 21000rpm at 12v.

Also significantly more torque with the torque master.
I'm runnin' that exact motor, with a 1080, and I LUV it! It has crazy smooth, strong bottom-end and my truck would outrun my buddy's stock rig ..... both 2-speed on 3s, same tires, but mine has an 8t pinion v his 10t. (NOT a typo .... 8t )
Anyway, if you haven't pulled the trigger, I'd highly recommend a Holmes motor ..... especially the Torque Master Expert. IF you get one, be sure to reverse the timing... or have them do it ... for the TRX-4.

jim
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:30 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I'm a huge fan of the HH Crawlmaster Pro 550 12t motor. It is a 5 segment armature and is smooooooth as silk and still as fast as I want to go on 3s. This motor works great with both a CC Sidewinder 4 or HW1080 ESC.

Last edited by Inspector86; 01-09-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:56 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Hobbywing axe 2300kv, crawls like nothing else and also has a drag brake that grips like spiderman on an incline. Can also pop a wheelie if need be under full throttle. All controllable via Bluetooth app on your phone.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Is there a solution to have more low end torque and more top speed? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Id like a bit more top end speed nine inch rear Vaterra Ascender 5 11-07-2018 08:41 AM
Xerun 17.5 low top end mytrd94 Electronics 16 10-10-2016 08:40 PM
High torque, low speed driveline? RS10XT david Redcat Crawlers 6 12-19-2015 07:53 AM
High torque / Low speed recommendations for the following idea ? melon Electronics 0 05-13-2011 01:52 AM