Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4
Loading

Notices

Thread: TRX4 Kit - any build tips?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2020, 07:22 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Alberta
Posts: 16
Default TRX4 Kit - any build tips?

Hi all,

I will be taking delivery of my trx4 kit (w/Bronco body) and some supporting components over the next week or 2.

I ended up purchasing the following:
- trx4 kit
- bronco body
- 2 turnigy 2200mah 3s
- hota D6+ charger
- ds 3218 pro servo
- traxxas stainless steel screw kit
- traxxas metal servo horn.
- Hobbywing 1080

Not sure if the screw kit is necessary, but I figured ‘why not’ since I am building from scratch.

From what I have read the kit is pretty well put together, but wondering if anyone experienced any ‘gotchas’ while building or have any tips for completing certain steps.

Thanks!

Last edited by Foghat; 01-08-2020 at 08:58 AM.
Foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2020, 07:25 AM   #2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 48
Default Re: TRX4 Kit - any build tips?

Careful with the screw kit, I don't know if I just got a bad batch or something, but I found them very weak...snapped 2 heads off like butter...what a pain.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
MODC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:40 AM   #3
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,337
Default Re: TRX4 Kit - any build tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghat View Post
Hi all,

I will be taking delivery of my trx4 kit (w/Bronco body) and some supporting components over the next week or 2.

I ended up purchasing the following:
- trx4 kit
- bronco body
- 2 turnigy 2200mah 3s
- hota D6+ charger
- ds 3218 pro servo
- traxxas stainless steel screw kit
- traxxas metal servo horn.

Not sure if the screw kit is necessary, but I figured ‘why not’ since I am building from scratch.

From what I have read the kit is pretty well put together, but wondering if anyone experienced any ‘gotchas’ while building or have any tips for completing certain steps.

Thanks!
Did you order the full kit with electronics? If so, I'm not sure the stock ESC is going to give the servo the power that you want. The internal BEC on the stock, XL5 ESC is kinda weak. The only way to find out is to try. You may want to add a BEC later.

I see you ordered the metal servo horn. I did the same and my Sport kit ended up coming with a metal servo horn so now I have a spare.

Stainless steel screw kits are mainly used to prevent rusting hardware. Others use it for looks. Stainless is weaker than most other hardware, but I've never snapped a screw on any of my RC's. I have to say the standard hardware included with Traxxas RTR's and kits is very nice and I've never upgraded it to SS.

You may want to have a little, electric screwdriver with MIP speed tips. Traxxas plastics are good and it gets tiring to screw all of the screws in by hand. Other than that I can't think of any warnings to give you. It's a very fun build and the manual is excellent.

Is it your first RC build?

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 01-08-2020 at 08:44 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:05 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Alberta
Posts: 16
Default Re: TRX4 Kit - any build tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MODC View Post
Careful with the screw kit, I don't know if I just got a bad batch or something, but I found them very weak...snapped 2 heads off like butter...what a pain.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Interesting. Thx. I will watch out for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Did you order the full kit with electronics? If so, I'm not sure the stock ESC is going to give the servo the power that you want. The internal BEC on the stock, XL5 ESC is kinda weak. The only way to find out is to try. You may want to add a BEC later.

I see you ordered the metal servo horn. I did the same and my Sport kit ended up coming with a metal servo horn so now I have a spare.

Stainless steel screw kits are mainly used to prevent rusting hardware. Others use it for looks. Stainless is weaker than most other hardware, but I've never snapped a screw on any of my RC's. I have to say the standard hardware included with Traxxas RTR's and kits is very nice and I've never upgraded it to SS.

You may want to have a little, electric screwdriver with MIP speed tips. Traxxas plastics are good and it gets tiring to screw all of the screws in by hand. Other than that I can't think of any warnings to give you. It's a very fun build and the manual is excellent.

Is it your first RC build?
Thanks.

Yes I got the kit with electronics. I can’t believe I forgot the hobbywing 1080 in my list - I bought that as well. Updated first post.

Hmmm. I thought stainless steel was stronger than the included screws. Will have to rethink whether to use them or not - I’m not terribly concerned about rusting.

I have built three kits over my long on again/off again relationship with the RC hobby. Most recent was a about 4 years ago - a losi 8ight-e 3.0.
Foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:22 AM   #5
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,337
Default Re: TRX4 Kit - any build tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghat View Post
Yes I got the kit with electronics. I canít believe I forgot the hobbywing 1080 in my list - I bought that as well. Updated first post.

Hmmm. I thought stainless steel was stronger than the included screws. Will have to rethink whether to use them or not - Iím not terribly concerned about rusting.

I have built three kits over my long on again/off again relationship with the RC hobby. Most recent was a about 4 years ago - a losi 8ight-e 3.0.
Oh the 1080 will definitely give the servo enough juice. Set its internal BEC to 6.0V as the micro servos for shifting and the remote diffs can't take more than that.

You'll have no problem building this kit then.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:54 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Miami
Posts: 41
Default Re: TRX4 Kit - any build tips?

Sport kit by the sounds of it so no micro servos, 7.4v should be fine. Those 20kg servos work fine on the Traxxas ESCs though IME.

SS is weaker generically speaking which is why you don't tend to see them in high stress spots. Should be fine though but, IMO, money I would have put elsewhere unless you are planning on getting it wet a lot.
Icehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:13 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Alberta
Posts: 16
Default Re: TRX4 Kit - any build tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehawk View Post
Sport kit by the sounds of it so no micro servos, 7.4v should be fine. Those 20kg servos work fine on the Traxxas ESCs though IME.

SS is weaker generically speaking which is why you don't tend to see them in high stress spots. Should be fine though but, IMO, money I would have put elsewhere unless you are planning on getting it wet a lot.
Not the sport kit.

Maybe I will skip the SS screws. Was sort of a last minute impulse buy.
Foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:43 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglassville, PA
Posts: 3,276
Default Re: TRX4 Kit - any build tips?

I wouldn't...nearly every TRX4 I see has rusty screws somewhere. Drives me nuts personally.

I don't think there there's any part that will stress the screws so much they fail, I can't see strength being an issue at all. Just be sure to lube the threads a bit when screwing into plastic - the biggest issue I've had with them is they can strip the head if too much torque is applied.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:46 AM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 48
Default Re: TRX4 Kit - any build tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I wouldn't...nearly every TRX4 I see has rusty screws somewhere. Drives me nuts personally.

I don't think there there's any part that will stress the screws so much they fail, I can't see strength being an issue at all. Just be sure to lube the threads a bit when screwing into plastic - the biggest issue I've had with them is they can strip the head if too much torque is applied.
That was my mistake.....

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
MODC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:58 AM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Alberta
Posts: 16
Default Re: TRX4 Kit - any build tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I wouldn't...nearly every TRX4 I see has rusty screws somewhere. Drives me nuts personally.

I don't think there there's any part that will stress the screws so much they fail, I can't see strength being an issue at all. Just be sure to lube the threads a bit when screwing into plastic - the biggest issue I've had with them is they can strip the head if too much torque is applied.
What do you recommend for lube? Could a guy just use a dab of shock oil?
Foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:51 AM   #11
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,337
Default Re: TRX4 Kit - any build tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I wouldn't...nearly every TRX4 I see has rusty screws somewhere. Drives me nuts personally.

I don't think there there's any part that will stress the screws so much they fail, I can't see strength being an issue at all. Just be sure to lube the threads a bit when screwing into plastic - the biggest issue I've had with them is they can strip the head if too much torque is applied.
Hmm I haven't noticed any rusty screws on mine yet. Not that I've driven them all that much. Rusty screws drive me nuts as well. They are something I cannot unsee.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghat View Post
What do you recommend for lube? Could a guy just use a dab of shock oil?
Believe it or not ChapStick or Vaseline petroleum jelly are fine lubricants for screwing into plastics.

OSRC is right. SS screws are softer, but you shouldn't have an issue in a scaler like a TRX-4. The bashers are the ones that typically break SS screws. I've used SS screw kits in other scalers and crawlers without any breakages.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:13 AM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Alberta
Posts: 16
Default Re: TRX4 Kit - any build tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Hmm I haven't noticed any rusty screws on mine yet. Not that I've driven them all that much. Rusty screws drive me nuts as well. They are something I cannot unsee.




Believe it or not ChapStick or Vaseline petroleum jelly are fine lubricants for screwing into plastics.

OSRC is right. SS screws are softer, but you shouldn't have an issue in a scaler like a TRX-4. The bashers are the ones that typically break SS screws. I've used SS screw kits in other scalers and crawlers without any breakages.
Thanks for the info. I have more chapsticks lying around than I know what to do with!
Foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:07 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Brandon
Posts: 3
Default Re: TRX4 Kit - any build tips?

I just got the kit for Christmas. I went ahead and purchased the ss screw kit, I think it is worth it.
Redx08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



TRX4 Kit - any build tips? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 Build Kit 12.3?? rayraypc Paint and Body 7 07-25-2019 09:48 AM
trx4 sport kit build traxxas79k5 Traxxas TRX-4 0 05-20-2019 07:35 AM
New kit build, need tips to help it not flip so much awdtsi Axial Yeti 22 04-20-2015 03:00 PM
Suggestions & Tips for Rubicon Kit Build Parker21 Axial SCX-10 5 01-20-2014 03:43 PM
Dingo Kit - My first build. Any tips/advice? What mods are worth doing? LeadFootCaliKiid Axial SCX-10 2 01-06-2014 03:51 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com