Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: How would you convert to 6X6 flatbed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2020, 04:55 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: How would you convert to 6X6 flatbed?

Looking good cody boy. Cant wait to see the final product. My snap on guy said I could have the snap on traxxas truck if I buy a new tool box from him. No way, not worth it right now, lol. Besides it would sit as a shelf queen, lol.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2020, 09:58 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Looking good Ernie! I've been following the progress silently. Its definitely a good idea for those who dont want the stock 6x6 bodies which includes me.

Regarding being potentially too heavy I'll just say I dont have a 6x6 but I do have a 20lb 8x8 and it has pretty good traction even with all the weight. So maybe the extra long wheelbase will negate some of the downsides of being heavy?
Thanks for the input and following along Casey! Good thoughts on the weight, it isn't like it is going to be trying to go through comp gates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
This is why we need the like feature... no joke. Been following along, Ernie but didn't want to muddy up the water. You're in my thoughts and I hope that you'll soon be back in good health. Hoping that we'll see you this year... maybe even do a little crawling or trailing. Awesome build btw! Take care, brother.
Thank you sir, no way could you ever "muddy the waters" in my thread, your input is always welcome! thanks for the positive thoughts, and give Chelsea a big hug for Marcia and I!
We are working on getting better, go in next month for some cancer tests that cost about 3 months of wages. thank god for good insurance and Medicare!
We will have to see how things go before we plan another trip to the Midwest and East coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Looking good cody boy. Cant wait to see the final product. My snap on guy said I could have the snap on traxxas truck if I buy a new tool box from him. No way, not worth it right now, lol. Besides it would sit as a shelf queen, lol.
Thanks for the kind words Levi!
That was one of the reason I decided to take this project on. I wanted a flat bed 6X6 but wasn't willing fork over a big chunk of $$. Also wanted to try and use available parts from Traxxas so some of you could do the same!
Thanks for checking in guys,
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:56 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Can't wait to see what happens with this thing. I know you'll make it something epic with it. The fifth wheel rig sounds pretty cool. Then you would be able to haul a crawler and still crawl the tow rig. Keep your head up brother! You got a big family here for any support you need. You have my number if you need me
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:23 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Hope all is well Ernie....good health to you sir
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:02 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Thanks bud, a little update. I decided to go with the SS sheet I have. I bent the rear plate and rolled it under the bed.

I think I'll drill the back panel for lights. I soldered the seams to clean up the look.

I bought a drawer slide to build a mechanical slide for the bed, now I need to figure out how to get it to work!
Ernie
Old 02-28-2020, 11:09 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

I had a feeling you were going to end up hand-fabbing something... that's the Ernie way, lol.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:42 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

I'm so glad to see the bed too cab size tightened up ..
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:17 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
I had a feeling you were going to end up hand-fabbing something... that's the Ernie way, lol.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
After I decided that I needed to scale down the bed this piece of stainless was a good fit. I just used my little brake to do the forming on the rear. Plus I need something to take my mind off of Jordon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacktheRipper View Post
I'm so glad to see the bed too cab size tightened up ..
I wanted to try to build it to haul one of my crawlers but like you said it was way out of scale to do that.

Now, a little update, managed a little time in the shop yesterday. Working on a head board and window guard.
I used a Velcro strap to close up the joints for soldering.

Here I'm fitting it to the bed.

It looks messy now but that will all be fixed with a little clean up and paint. I still need to figure out some tiedown rails.

The window guard will be screwed on.

And the back drilled for lights.

Thanks for looking,
Ernie
Old 03-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

WOW!!! That is looking great Ernie!!
Summitonslingrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:57 PM   #50
Gold Star Baby!

Agreed! Handy metal work. I like the profile of the head board too. Nice and industrial looking. The holes for the tail lights are a nice touch, too.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:08 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Well, I have come to the conclusion that this build isn't going to be finished by me!!!! Because of some changes in my life (cancer treatment) my heart just isn't in it anymore. So I'm turning over the build to my buddy Justin. Since Locked Up is bring him on as a team driver I thought he could do it justice. I will post some photos of how it looks before it leaves Oregon for Florida.
I'm sure Justin will keep us update as he progresses. Have fun Bud!!!!
Ernie
Old 10-01-2020, 11:42 AM   #52
Rock Crawler

That flat bed is awesome!!!

Best wishes and thoughts for you during your treatments. Hang in there!
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:13 AM   #53
RCC Addict

Ernie, your amazing! Thank you so very much! This rig is so cool! I never thought I would own a 6x6 or a CODYBOY rig and now I have both! I can't wait to get this thing going!!! I can't thank you enough! Hope I can finish it out and keep it up to par with your builds.

Ok here it is guys!

I finally got the nukizer done and off the bench and got some wrench/thinking time on the 6x6. Started out just getting a base line for the rear shocks by mounting them in some existing holes in the frame. Think I'm going to end up building a cantilever setup for the rear axles since there's not enough room under the bed for proper shock towers. Also did some thinking on the sliding bed idea which I think is going to work out.

Haven't decided if I'm going to start my own build thread or just carry on this one. More to come soon. Hope everyone has a good day!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote

How would you convert to 6X6 flatbed? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Convert your Axial Racing SCX10 II into a 6x6 with these parts! - Now In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 09-30-2019 11:53 AM
Bruder Mack Granite 6x6 flatbed build WesTX Multi Axle Rigs 22 05-19-2016 07:03 PM
Doom's 6x6 MAN flatbed truck AngelowDoom Multi Axle Rigs 8 11-19-2014 11:24 PM
New build - SCX10 6x6 Unimog Flatbed patoff Multi Axle Rigs 45 11-28-2013 02:36 PM
bmuzz1's 6x6 Flatbed Mini Hauler bmuzz1 Multi Axle Rigs 56 03-21-2010 09:36 PM