Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: How would you convert to 6X6 flatbed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2020, 10:17 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default How would you convert to 6X6 flatbed?

Since seeing the Snap On flatbed truck, I have been having this nightmare about converting my 4. Maybe some of us could do it together? Any thoughts on how to start?
"Ernie, please wake up before you go over board!!!!"
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2020, 10:43 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: How would you convert to 6X6 flatbed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Since seeing the Snap On flatbed truck, I have been having this nightmare about converting my 4. Maybe some of us could do it together? Any thoughts on how to start?
Sounds like an awesome project! I would think cantilever shocks or leaf springs for the rear. In my mind if you're going to build a flat bed truck. Then the bed has to be functional. Tilt and working which for pulling vehicles up. Small chains for the back of the bed to secure your rig on the back. Find you an awesome semi truck cab and build a bed. You can do it Ernie!!!! With all that extra chassis you should have room for a piston and pump for the bed functions. I'll definitely be watching closely on this build.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:21 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I could go through the manual and give you a list of part numbers to convert to a 6x6 but we know the Ernie way involves the bare minimum of factory parts, a stack of metal stock, and a torch.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I can help with machined/punched aluminum parts. Would be pretty easy to make a nice aluminum bed...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Sounds like an awesome project! I would think cantilever shocks or leaf springs for the rear. In my mind if you're going to build a flat bed truck. Then the bed has to be functional. Tilt and working which for pulling vehicles up. Small chains for the back of the bed to secure your rig on the back. Find you an awesome semi truck cab and build a bed. You can do it Ernie!!!! With all that extra chassis you should have room for a piston and pump for the bed functions. I'll definitely be watching closely on this build.
All good ideas Justin! If and when I wake up, this is a on the drawing board project, (ya right, when did I ever put a plan down on paper). I'm really going to fly by the seat of my pants on this one for now. "Wake up Ernie, you are already getting carried away"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I could go through the manual and give you a list of part numbers to convert to a 6x6 but we know the Ernie way involves the bare minimum of factory parts, a stack of metal stock, and a torch.
Ok Mr. svt as we all know you have a very good eye for detail! I have a 46 Power wagon body that I was thinking of using, but not sure how it would fit this build! I think I want it as a flat bed carrier so I may use some of Justin's ideas. Sooooooooo with out going to a body that would be off the chart $$$$ what other bodies come to mind to you, remembering I like to step out of the box just a little.

I've ordered the 6x6 rails, and mid axle housing and pinion cover. Anything else you think I may need for the conversion? I already have two front and rear axles that are complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
I can help with machined/punched aluminum parts. Would be pretty easy to make a nice aluminum bed...

Thanks Jeff, I will probably take you up on that! Weight will be something I want to watch. "Oh, please wake up Ernie, you don't have time for things like this until you retire"! But wait, you are retired!

Where are you chino, I'm going to need some help on this one!

Last edited by CODYBOY; 01-26-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:47 PM   #6
Gold Star Baby!

When I think about this build of yours a COE keeps coming to mind. Like an old harvester or 50s chevy/Ford would be awesome but no idea how you could pull that off.

Power wagon would be a good look too of course.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:38 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

http://club5racing.com/truck-bed-con...6-g63-amg-6x6/

Check this place out

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:33 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I've ordered the 6x6 rails, and mid axle housing and pinion cover. Anything else you think I may need for the conversion? I already have two front and rear axles that are complete.
You may have already have figured this out when ordering.
The rear axle housing is the one you need (Traxxas 8837) it is specific to the TRX-6.
The mid (intermediate) axle housing is the same as the TRX-4 but uses the new pass through diff cover (Traxxas 8846).

You might also think about getting suspension mount (Traxxas 8830) that the links from the rear axle attach to.

I am excited to see what you come up with. Santa brought my son and I the TRX-6 for Christmas!! It's such a beast. I am hoping to see different bodies someday as the G-Swagon in not really my style...
Summitonslingrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:14 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
Truck Bed Conversion w/ Magnetic Mount for TRX-6 G63 AMG 6x6 - Club 5 Racing

Check this place out

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info I checked it out.
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summitonslingrs View Post
You may have already have figured this out when ordering.
The rear axle housing is the one you need (Traxxas 8837) it is specific to the TRX-6.
The mid (intermediate) axle housing is the same as the TRX-4 but uses the new pass through diff cover (Traxxas 8846).

You might also think about getting suspension mount (Traxxas 8830) that the links from the rear axle attach to.

I am excited to see what you come up with. Santa brought my son and I the TRX-6 for Christmas!! It's such a beast. I am hoping to see different bodies someday as the G-Swagon in not really my style...
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know about either of those parts. I ordered them this evening. Any thing else you find that will help me please give a shout out!!!
Ernie
Old 01-11-2020, 11:31 AM   #10
Gold Star Baby!

This could be a nice unique cab...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-12-Scale-...4AAOSwF4pdieFC
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2020, 02:43 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

That would be a nice cab to start with, but being 12th scale I think the overall scale would be off. I got out the Power Wagon body and set axles out of it and I'm really thinking I could make a nice looking truck with it. But thanks for taking the time to look that up for me!!!
Ernie
Old 01-11-2020, 03:09 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

There's some pretty interesting bodies here Ernie.

https://www.scale3drc.com/

If you find something you like, I can print it out for you...

I printed this body for my TRX-4 (different seller though)...

Old 01-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #13
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
That would be a nice cab to start with, but being 12th scale I think the overall scale would be off. I got out the Power Wagon body and set axles out of it and I'm really thinking I could make a nice looking truck with it. But thanks for taking the time to look that up for me!!!
Ernie
Ah missed it was 1:12, power wagon will definitely be a good body though. Looking forward to seeing this come along.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:13 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know about either of those parts. I ordered them this evening. Any thing else you find that will help me please give a shout out!!!
Ernie
Happy to help!!
Unless you are making your own drivelines the 8850 (Extra Short Driveshaft) may be helpful for between the mid & rear axles. That is just the tubes and you need (2) 8849 (Output drive) to complete, however you may already have those from your other TRX-4's
Summitonslingrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:05 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Thanks Jeff, There is a few of those that really have me thinking. I don't know if I want to go to that much work for a body. I will let you know. Do think I may draw something up for a alum bed and see if you want to take it on! But I'm little ways away from putting together a design. I need to have the chassis and axles in place before I can put my thoughts to paper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Ah missed it was 1:12, power wagon will definitely be a good body though. Looking forward to seeing this come along.
Ya, to bad It's a cool truck body! I did get a few parts in today, but haven't really started building yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summitonslingrs View Post
Happy to help!!
Unless you are making your own drivelines the 8850 (Extra Short Driveshaft) may be helpful for between the mid & rear axles. That is just the tubes and you need (2) 8849 (Output drive) to complete, however you may already have those from your other TRX-4's
Thank you for the parts # I will probably build a driveline out of my parts bin.
Please keep the suggestions coming though!
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 01-13-2020 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:34 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

a few pics, axles I'm starting with.

Got some parts from RPP today.

Ernie
Old 01-17-2020, 05:02 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I must ask what is the wood thing lower LF corner used for? Only interested if it is used some how in building a model.

Thanks
pep
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:16 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
I think the printed stuff opens many doors for the models. I also think it has a long way to go. The stuff being produced is just plain ruff.

Nice detail and all, is the product durable, mirror snaps off glue back on, replacement parts printed.. ? It is the little things that count.

I cannot help but to notice, every photo of the printed parts. Focus, sharpness always shot soft as hell. Using the same trick holleywood does shooting photos of the fughy & old worn out people.

just saying
pep
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:02 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacktheRipper View Post
I must ask what is the wood thing lower LF corner used for? Only interested if it is used some how in building a model.

Thanks
pep
Nope, not related at all, just happened to end up in the picture.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:06 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacktheRipper View Post
I cannot help but to notice, every photo of the printed parts. Focus, sharpness always shot soft as hell. Using the same trick holleywood does shooting photos of the fughy & old worn out people.

just saying
pep
Meh, 3D printed requires more prep for sure, but when done right can look pretty amazing. Can also be pretty tough if designed/printed/assembled well...

Last edited by JSterrett; 01-17-2020 at 08:08 AM.

How would you convert to 6X6 flatbed? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Convert your Axial Racing SCX10 II into a 6x6 with these parts! - Now In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 09-30-2019 11:53 AM
Bruder Mack Granite 6x6 flatbed build WesTX Multi Axle Rigs 22 05-19-2016 07:03 PM
Doom's 6x6 MAN flatbed truck AngelowDoom Multi Axle Rigs 8 11-19-2014 11:24 PM
New build - SCX10 6x6 Unimog Flatbed patoff Multi Axle Rigs 45 11-28-2013 02:36 PM
bmuzz1's 6x6 Flatbed Mini Hauler bmuzz1 Multi Axle Rigs 56 03-21-2010 09:36 PM