Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: One more for the trail... A Tactical mistake.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2020, 07:30 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default One more for the trail... A Tactical mistake.

TRX 4 number four in the stable. Think I need to have my head examined....

Saw a trade request on another forum ...TRX for an E-Revo....Just so happens I had one laying around that I don't drive anymore since crawling has taken over my RC life. Made the trade, and here we go!

Why a 4th one? This one will be a spare rig, and one my daughter will drive when she comes out. All of my trucks are on a single GTB3 radio - it's good to have another truck with a standalone radio system for others to drive. That's the plan anyway... To that end, just keeping the stock electronics, bolting on some parts I have laying around, and calling it good. No other plans for this one really.

Got it in and went over it.. Tactical model, initially came with SC wheels that actually feel quite decent. Hoarded for future use.. maybe. My original plan was to keep it a Tactical.. I was hoping I could figure out a way to make it look cool.

Which made a good excuse to pick up some Grunt tires and try them out. Looked pretty decent with the body!

Whoops, that's interesting. Other than this and a bit of light rust here and there, truck is in excellent shape. No teardown required!

However, try as I may, I could not warm up to the Tactical. It's just that ugly. Frankly, it's even uglier in person. I had some thoughts about picking up an unpainted body and going from there, since it really couldn't get any uglier and I might still do that. For now, I stripped it down...

Swapped over some links I had in my parts box...

And dropped on my old sport body and bumpers. Retains the 2 speed and lockers, so this should be kinda interesting.

Time to bolt on some mods.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2020, 08:09 AM   #2

Default Re: One more for the trail... A Tactical mistake.

What mods are you planning? I’m new to the hobby and in the process of building a TRX4 kit.
Redx08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:29 AM   #3

VXT tires! I'm anxious to try mine out. I think they'll do OK on the trails, but I don't think they'll stay for long. They're too stiff for my liking.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm digging the look of that wheel/tire combo. I like how the tires have a narrowish profile. They look at home on the Sport body.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Am I the only one that cannot see any pics?

Last edited by Inspector86; 01-15-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I see 7 photos on the first post.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:00 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Looking good OSRC. Want that light weight body back you gave me? Its just sitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I see 7 photos on the first post.
Me too Jato. Insctor86, try turning it off and on again.
Daycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:25 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
Looking good OSRC. Want that light weight body back you gave me? Its just sitting.
Nah, keep it though it is a good looking body! Super low COG.

I don't know about the pics...seems fine?

The VXT tires are already gone. I like the narrow profile, but I think they'll look better on the Defender. Got a few sets I want to try out.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #9
Gold Star Baby!

Nice pick up! I really like that grunt wheel and tire combo.

Any interest in selling the 12.8” wb rear links for $10?
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:57 PM   #10

Really loving you`re builds!

Have you measured they weight difference between sport and none sport chassie?
I wonder how much heavier the 2 speed tranny, servos, lockers etc makes it..
Ola. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:40 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Any interest in selling the 12.8” wb rear links for $10?
Not at the moment, sorry good sir! May go back with a Tactical at some point, though starting with a clear body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola. View Post
Have you measured they weight difference between sport and none sport chassie?
Thanks - no, I havent. Batteries are out in my scale, and I haven't picked any up yet. The numbers would be quite skewed though, there's various amounts of brass on each chassis. I did have a spread sheet at once time, I need to get it updated.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:32 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Did some digging in the parts box, had a bunch of brass in there from the used Sport I purchased. All YR I believe. As we've all found out, TRX's either need to lose some weight up top or gain a little at the bottom - Since I have it, may as well bolt it on!

One of the hexes was cracked, and I don't have any spares per-se. I did have some wider brass hexes that came with the used Sport...hmm. Only issue is with certain wheels they don't leave enough thread for the wheel nuts to get into the nylon. Using the old noodle, I swapped over to the longer Bronco axes and then used the wider Brass hexes..problem solved! Then moved the stock hex out back to replace the cracked one. Front has a slightly wider track than the back now which I kinda like.

Bolted up...assuming these are Yeah Racing parts. Whatever they are, they fit perfectly!

Added a Bowhouse tray from my stash.

Cleaned the body and touched up the fenders. It's beat, but not broken yet. Asked my daughter which body she liked best, and she preferred the Sport. So a Sport it will stay for a while! I ordered a new clear body as well and I'll let her pick the colors.

Tires are some RC4WD....Gauntlets? Gladiators? I forget. They are surprisingly grippy though. Stuffed with PL foams and on Boom Racing wheels.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:20 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Sport body was chosen by the little boss, and a Sport body was ordered! My blue one was looking a little worse for wear... Ordered a clear body, inner fenders, and the rear expedition rack as I liked the look. I'll transfer everything else over from the blue body.

The blue body was cut for the more clearance possible. Since I'd rather keep more of a stock look now, I re-flipped the bumper mount and the BOM bumper fits in there perfectly, no trimming needed.

Put the rear VS4 bumper out back. Just needed the slightest bit of trimming to fit. These bumpers fit almost as if they are made for this body.

I had to trim the bumpers width-wise to fit under the Sport body (These were Bronco fenders) Since I'm running light buckets too, I had to cut the front out quite a bit to clear.

Rear fenders were trimmed to match and the chassis work is all done!

This body has an odd deformation of the side where the door is. The slider will hide some of it, but it still bothers me.

Rear body mount had to be flipped to work with the pre-drilled holes. Not sure why, the fenders apparently move the body mounts slightly?

Ready for paint and the expedition rack!

Last edited by OSRC; 02-28-2020 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:37 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Finally got some paint on the sport body. Pretty similar to how I painted before, though I used Proline Metallic Pewter ilo silver this time. Seems to match the wheels perfectly!! Really a cool color in person. Bumpers look great, and re-added the expedition rack as I think it looks pretty cool!

I seem to have misplaced my ramps... they are here somewhere! I'll find them eventually, though if I don't I'll just drill out and mount up another set.

This is officially a loaner rig - one my daughter can drive, as well as anyone who wants to join us on the trail. Hopefully it gets some use this year! Of course, I'll have to take it out on a test run just to be sure all is working...
Old 04-05-2020, 06:36 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Well, I stole the Sport body for my other rig, and have swapped over my Bronco body. I was bored, so I also swapped over the portal delete kit and front motor mount. They were sitting in my parts box collecting dust, so why not? Still a loaner rig, if I can ever get some of my friends out on the trail. I've got a few friends who would really like to try it, but don't want to spend the money just yet. I'm thinking a run or two will get them hooked! Hoping, anyway.

Electroncis are a WIP

Stance looks much better with the Bronco body than it did with the Defender. 4.5 ish tires are for sure the way to go...I'm not sold on this wheel/tire combo, but it will do for now.

Tucks great!

I put in the outrunner, though I don't really like it...and it's not waterproof. I'll probably go back to the stock ESC and a 540 motor as the front servo mount doesn't fit the 550.

One more for the trail... A Tactical mistake. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Needdirection's Mistake NeedDirection Axial SCX-10 25 10-05-2016 01:03 PM
K-5 manufacture mistake krazikev Vaterra Ascender 10 06-25-2015 03:22 PM
Newbie mistake TBone69 Washington 5 01-13-2013 10:55 AM
did i make a mistake? es79 Newbie General 3 03-20-2010 08:34 PM
Damn My Mistake fernando Chit Chat 4 09-06-2009 04:28 PM