Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Throttle takes some time to work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #1

Default Throttle takes some time to work

I've changed some settings on my esc but now I got a strange behavior.
When I turn on the TRX-4 the steering works immediately, but the throttle takes about 1 or 2 minutes to start working. :(
CrisBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2020, 04:14 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Throttle takes some time to work

Have you tried resetting the ESC back to default settings?
If not, try that and start over.
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:32 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Which ESC, and did you recalibrate it to the Transmitter system?
amigaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:18 AM   #4

Default [SOLVED] Throttle takes some time to work

Solved!
It's a XL-5 ESC (TRX-4).
I realized that the ESC was programmed for NiMH bateries and I was using LiPo.

Instructions to change to LiPo:
Turn off the receiver.
Press and hold the EZ-Set button. The LED will first turn green and then
red. Release the button.
Press again and hold the EZ-Set button for 10 or 12 seconds, the motor will beep twice and the LED will shine GREEN. Release the button.

After that it worked fine.

Thanks
Cris
Old 01-26-2020, 08:14 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I'm glad you solved it, but Lipomode does nothing else than enable the low voltage detector, which will make the ESC react to empty battery with reduced Power or even an "emergency stop" so you won't drain your battery to death. (Which in fact you do even with the Lipo mode enabled: Traxxas drains the batteries extremely low. Better use Nickel mode and an external Lipo beeper.)
With disabled (read: non-lipo or nickel mode) you can drive until the voltage is zero.
Neither mode does delay the startup...

If you've not found a very weird software problem with the controller in your ESC i'd say you did not solve your problem.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigaman View Post
I'm glad you solved it, but Lipomode does nothing else than enable the low voltage detector, which will make the ESC react to empty battery with reduced Power or even an "emergency stop" so you won't drain your battery to death. (Which in fact you do even with the Lipo mode enabled: Traxxas drains the batteries extremely low. Better use Nickel mode and an external Lipo beeper.)
With disabled (read: non-lipo or nickel mode) you can drive until the voltage is zero.
Neither mode does delay the startup...

If you've not found a very weird software problem with the controller in your ESC i'd say you did not solve your problem.
amigaman, thank you very much for your reply.

You're right, Lipo mode has nothing to do with the problem I had, but the problem was solved.

After your message I thought about what I had done before. It may be that I left the ESC in a "calibration" state when the ESC is turned off and press and hold the EZ-set button, until a red LED appears. In this state the ESC waits for the trigger to be accelerated and then forward. It may be that I stopped in this state when I was changing some settings yesterday and turned off the ESC. What is very strange is that the steering worked immediately after turning on but the acceleration was delayed. I didn't even have a solid green light, but the LED was flashing quickly.

When I did the procedure to configure the LiPo (low voltage detection) I went through the same calibration process, but I proceeded to the configuration of the LiPo. It is likely that at this point th ESC "reset" the calibration wait and returned to normal.

The important thing is that is now working perfectly.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:59 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Calibration mode is ended when powered down.
I would even go so far as it does not store new data if not ended properly, so by turning off the old, wrong settings were still in use.
The flashing LED may be either Overtemperature (red), no signal (green) or overvoltage (red/green).
I think the XL5 has a "off center throttle startup" protection, too, which will flash the led. In this mode the ESC does not accept a wrongly pulled trigger on startup to prevent runaway.
Maybe you moved the 50:50/70:30 throttle switch, maybe you maxed the throttle trim, maybe your trnsmitter is broken and makes a weird signal (loose pot or something).
Or the XL5 went wet and wrongly detects something, something i had on my stampedes XL5. There i had problems reversing because the shorted coolers made it think the motor still turned.

So by calibrating you set up the throttle detection, which made the off center protection go ok, and that solved your problem.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigaman View Post
Calibration mode is ended when powered down.
I would even go so far as it does not store new data if not ended properly, so by turning off the old, wrong settings were still in use.
The flashing LED may be either Overtemperature (red), no signal (green) or overvoltage (red/green).
I think the XL5 has a "off center throttle startup" protection, too, which will flash the led. In this mode the ESC does not accept a wrongly pulled trigger on startup to prevent runaway.
Maybe you moved the 50:50/70:30 throttle switch, maybe you maxed the throttle trim, maybe your trnsmitter is broken and makes a weird signal (loose pot or something).
Or the XL5 went wet and wrongly detects something, something i had on my stampedes XL5. There i had problems reversing because the shorted coolers made it think the motor still turned.

So by calibrating you set up the throttle detection, which made the off center protection go ok, and that solved your problem.
I really appreciate your care and attention with my problem and the technical explanations.

Actually I didn't calibrate the ESC. It solved just by making the low voltage setting.

Tags
throttle, trx-4

Throttle takes some time to work - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with interior work.. first time CrawlDaddy416 Paint and Body 0 12-17-2018 08:45 AM
one more time my stick pic work this time fire627man General Crawlers 9 04-19-2006 07:22 PM
Tried to run 3 at a time (didn't work) W.F.O. General Crawlers 1 08-21-2005 10:53 PM