Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Transmission clicking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2020, 07:48 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Question Transmission clicking

Hey guys, I've been hearing this clicking from the transmission for a while now, but it has gotten louder. The weird part is only under a load does it do it. Drive it on flat or in the air it doesn't do it. Start a step climb and you hear it. I pulled out
Trans and could recreate the sound. Just not as loud. So I pulled apart the transmission last night. Just to find it looking just like it did last time I had it apart. I did notice there being some slop in the shafts tho. Maybe time for new bearings??? Any thoughts on this clicking transmission? Should I get a bearing kit? Which bearings should I buy? Thanks in advance for any advice
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2020, 09:03 PM   #2

Default Re: Transmission clicking

Checking the simplest thing first, make sure the set screw on you motor pinion gear isn't hitting your spur gear if they are out of alignment.

Otherwise, I typically buy 10 packs of bearings in the various sizes I need. Available on Amazon (but there might be some wait time for shipping these days).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
niggemannb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:47 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggemannb View Post
Checking the simplest thing first, make sure the set screw on you motor pinion gear isn't hitting your spur gear if they are out of alignment.

Otherwise, I typically buy 10 packs of bearings in the various sizes I need. Available on Amazon (but there might be some wait time for shipping these days).

Thanks brother! Motor wasn't attached when I recreated the sound with the trans in my hand. So that can't be the issue. I know from my skateboarding days that buying good bearings is worth it. I rather spend good money on ones I don't have to replace often. Thanks again tho!
Old 03-23-2020, 10:10 PM   #4

Fast Eddy makes some of the best. They have a standard bearing kit for about $42, and a ceramic bearing kit for $142 (not sure if the ceramic kit has stainless races or not, they don't specify on their site)

I know you can find some stainless bearings if you pick and choose online. I find my bearings usually fail due to corrosion (water gets in and can't get out, destroying the cages) rather than wearing out or seal intrusion by dirt.

https://www.fasteddybearings.com/tra...d-bearing-kit/

https://www.fasteddybearings.com/tra...d-bearing-kit/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FY4XP0O..._-CyEEb5PV43XF

Good Luck!

niggemannb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:52 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Make sure your driveshaft are lined up properly

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
aqualungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:58 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
Make sure your driveshaft are lined up properly

That’ll make the trans click? I didn't have the drive shafts on when I tested it in my hand.

Last edited by AnimalHippie; 03-24-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:30 PM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

Mine is noisy too, and has a click but when I tore the transmission and axles down I didn’t find anything wrong so I just re-greased and closed it back up. Have you noticed any issues slow crawling smoothly?

Sometimes I think these are just loud, metal gears and all, but bearings is a good idea. I second fast eddy as I’ve used them on a few rigs with no issues.

If bearings help you I may follow suit.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:19 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
That’ll make the trans click? I didn't have the drive shafts on when I tested it in my hand.
Was just guessing.. I had a click and I redid the motor and gear mesh, and noticed I didnt have the shafts balanced. The click went away lol

Old 03-25-2020, 03:36 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Mine is noisy too, and has a click but when I tore the transmission and axles down I didn’t find anything wrong so I just re-greased and closed it back up. Have you noticed any issues slow crawling smoothly?

Sometimes I think these are just loud, metal gears and all, but bearings is a good idea. I second fast eddy as I’ve used them on a few rigs with no issues.

If bearings help you I may follow suit.
Mine crawls just fine. I haven't noticed any issues with performance. Just that clicking drives me nuts. I'll probably give a new set of bearings a try. I'll let you know if it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
Was just guessing.. I had a click and I redid the motor and gear mesh, and noticed I didnt have the shafts balanced. The click went away lol

I might try reassembling the trans making sure the shafts in the trans are both facing the same way. That might do it. Who knows lol!
Old 03-25-2020, 05:31 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Haha right! I though it was cool that the shafts balance that way. Kind of like really trucks. When my rear driveshaft bearings went in my jeep, it made some interesting noises lol

Old 04-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Haven't been able to pick bearings yet but decided to try out reassembling the trans and making sure everything was in the right position. That did did the trick! No more clicking!!! So for sure the shafts inside the trans need to be in sync. I will try it on the rocks this evening, but bench test went great! Thank you guys for the help and advice!!!
Old 04-02-2020, 09:53 AM   #12
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Haven't been able to pick bearings yet but decided to try out reassembling the trans and making sure everything was in the right position. That did did the trick! No more clicking!!! So for sure the shafts inside the trans need to be in sync. I will try it on the rocks this evening, but bench test went great! Thank you guys for the help and advice!!!
Looks like I got a side project on my hands when I rebuild the rex again.

Glad it worked out with just some tooling
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:42 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Awesome! What shafts am I looking for inside the tranny? My TRX-6 does this & it has gotten louder & louder. It drives me nuts since rock climbing echoes it hahaha.

How did mine get out of sync? I’ve never had it apart.
R/C controls YOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:27 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/C controls YOU View Post
Awesome! What shafts am I looking for inside the tranny? My TRX-6 does this & it has gotten louder & louder. It drives me nuts since rock climbing echoes it hahaha.

How did mine get out of sync? I’ve never had it apart.

The shafts that the drive shaft attaches to. Holes on the front and rear shaft should be in the exact same position. Same goes for the driveshafts themselves. Should be able to remove all 4 driveshaft pins without spinning the driveshaft. Don't know how it could be out of sync unless it was assembled wrong from factory. Have you removed the driveshafts at any point?
Old 04-04-2020, 09:56 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
The shafts that the drive shaft attaches to. Holes on the front and rear shaft should be in the exact same position. Same goes for the driveshafts themselves. Should be able to remove all 4 driveshaft pins without spinning the driveshaft. Don't know how it could be out of sync unless it was assembled wrong from factory. Have you removed the driveshafts at any point?
Yea, the tranny rear output shaft is 90* out then. And my center diff is out like 45*. Both are easy to fix, but a pain.

Is this correct? All 6 pins (TRX-6) should line up as you said. So it was assembled wrong. Wow, must 1 in a billion chance LOL 😂
Old 04-05-2020, 01:08 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Alright, that did it! It feels like it has a hint less drivetrain slack, as well. I realigned the transfer case outputs & the center diff pinion to get it all synced.

I appreciate the details!
Old 05-24-2020, 06:24 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Default Transmission clicking

Thanks guys!!

My new Sport showed up Friday and I’ve had the clicking since first outing.

I thought the clicking was a molding imperfection on the skid rubbing on the front drive shaft.

I took the front drive shaft off and used a soft dremel polishing tip on the skid.

Still have the clicking.

Found this thread this morning and sure enough.

Thanks again!!!!

ETA - since I’m going to be taking the trans apart would it be a benefit to upgrade to the aluminum transmission housings I’ve seen?

Thanks

Last edited by Benp; 05-24-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:33 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Benp- I don't think it's necessary to replace the transmission housing with an aluminum one. The majority of people are still using the stock plastic housing with no issues. I wouldn't spend the money unless you have a reason to justify it.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
Thanks guys!!

My new Sport showed up Friday and I’ve had the clicking since first outing.

I thought the clicking was a molding imperfection on the skid rubbing on the front drive shaft.

I took the front drive shaft off and used a soft dremel polishing tip on the skid.

Still have the clicking.

Found this thread this morning and sure enough.

ETA - since I’m going to be taking the trans apart would it be a benefit to upgrade to the aluminum transmission housings I’ve seen?

Thanks
Replacing the driveshafts with MIP driveshafts also eliminates this issue. They are 30% slimmer than the stock.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Benp- I don't think it's necessary to replace the transmission housing with an aluminum one. The majority of people are still using the stock plastic housing with no issues. I wouldn't spend the money unless you have a reason to justify it.
I finally went ahead & replaced the tranny with an aluminum one from GPM. So now I’m 100% metal except the fenders, Bowhouse battery tray, Proline lightbar, and body on my TRX-6... only took about $3000 total lol (actually, I stopped keeping track @ 3 grand). I had a few parts custom made on a CNC, but most are either Samix or GPM otherwise. Weight is 12 pounds 5 ounces with battery/body and that’s with titanium and aluminum everywhere possible (brass on axle bits).

Anyway, that aluminum GPM tranny did the trick & now I have ZERO clicking. The entire drivetrain is FAR more quiet than stock with less slack AND RESISTANCE, as well. The metal parts (tranny, motor cover, motor mounting plate, the 2 part 8238 where the tranny/everything mounts to (both parts are 8238?)) fit PERFECT and now the rig is silent on the trail.

In fact, the minimum startup speed is even slightly lower and throttle modulation is a tad more responsive.

Transmission clicking - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Found the Cause of Clicking Transmission GLHS592 Axial RR10 Bomber 6 03-04-2017 04:23 AM
Clicking noise from Transmission area NewbieRC361 Axial Wraith 17 08-01-2013 11:47 PM
Tamiya 3 speed clicking noise in transmission. Erbing Newbie General 6 10-20-2011 09:23 PM
Clicking noise coming from transmission-Help please promatchrcr Team Losi Comp Crawler 13 01-20-2010 03:35 PM
clicking in transmission 84CUCV HPI Wheely King 4 07-23-2008 06:40 PM