Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX 4 Tracks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2020, 08:08 PM   #1

Default TRX 4 Tracks

So I finally got around to installing the TRX 4 tracks on my rigs. Took it out for a drive, and immediately noticed a decrease in speed, and power. I am running the stock motor, and a 2s battery. A few minutes later, and the car lost about 70% of its power and the motor was very very hot.

I did notice that the tracks were binding up, where some of the wheels weren’t moving since they had snow in them. I cleared this off, but it didn’t help much.

My main question is whether anyone here has had any issues with burning a motor out with these tracks? Also, do you run a 2s battery, or should I be running more? I haven’t started it again since I originally did.

Also, I know about the auto shut off of the battery, and decrease in power feature, but I didn’t see the blinking red light that usually occurs on the esc. The esc was just green.

Any help would be appreciated on this!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AskedSquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2020, 08:18 PM   #2

Default Re: TRX 4 Tracks

I have a different brand of tracks on my TRX4 and had the same problems. I destroyed the stock motor playing in the snow. I am guessing your motor is destroyed if you lost a bunch of the power.

I am now running a Holmes Hobbies 550 27 turn motor and 9 tooth pinion when I use my tracks. The HH motor is built better and seems to take the abuse without issue. I have this setup on its own motor mount so that I can switch out to the stock setup in about two minutes when I want to use my wheels. I can use either my 3s or 2s batteries without issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
niggemannb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:21 PM   #3

Interesting, have a picture of that setup with the two motors that you can change out? I was thinking of switching out the motor in general.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:29 PM   #4

I don't have a picture, but the motor is on a plastic plate with a bunch of holes that you use to set your gear spacing based on the pinion / spur gear setup that you are using.

I bought an extra motor mounting plate and the 9 tooth pinion so that all I have to do is pull the wires apart, remove the three screws that hold the piece that traps the motor mount plate in place, and then switch it out, put three screws in, and reconnect the wires. Goes very quick.

I really recommend the Holmes Hobbies motor (27 turn) and 9 tooth pinion when using the tracks. Gears it down and puts in a more appropriate motor.

BTW, your truck will run about 50% of the regular speed when using tracks. The way they are designed makes them slower.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:42 PM   #5

I was looking for an old picture on my phone that might be helpful when I realized that I also have a cheap heat sink on the motor. I think it came from Amazon (Hobby Park brand maybe?)

Old 02-05-2020, 08:57 PM   #6

I like the setup! I see that one of your mini servos went out. Mine did too, I just clamped it open since the replacement servo was a bit more than I thought it was worth it. I also like your light setup. Very cool.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:04 PM   #7

Thanks, I've done light kits for some friends too. Favorite one I did was my buddy's Tactical Unit complete with flashing red and blue lights. Super bright too.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:56 PM   #8
Slow is the new Fast

Volt up, gear down!

I have been running my tracked X4 through snow all winter with no issues. The batteries get shorter run times in the cold, but the rig has run flawlessly.

It is important to put the rig outside for awhile before running in snow. It needs to be at outside temps before getting into the fluffy stuff. If the snow melts and refreezes in the track mechanism the treads will slip and fun will be over until you melt it out and start over.

Running the tracks in snow is a blast, but requires some attention to detail.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggemannb View Post
I have a different brand of tracks on my TRX4 and had the same problems. I destroyed the stock motor playing in the snow. I am guessing your motor is destroyed if you lost a bunch of the power.

I am now running a Holmes Hobbies 550 27 turn motor and 9 tooth pinion when I use my tracks. The HH motor is built better and seems to take the abuse without issue. I have this setup on its own motor mount so that I can switch out to the stock setup in about two minutes when I want to use my wheels. I can use either my 3s or 2s batteries without issue.

What brand of Traxx are you using? I didn’t know there was another company out there that made them, and are they much cheaper?

Edubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubb View Post
What brand of Traxx are you using? I didn’t know there was another company out there that made them, and are they much cheaper?

I am using the Team Raffee Co. Tracks. I bought them thru Asia Tees. They weren't cheap. And you also have to buy the special portal covers to use them. All together I spent about $250. This was before Traxxas came out with their own tracks. I would probably get the Traxxas ones if I could do it over now.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggemannb View Post
I am using the Team Raffee Co. Tracks. I bought them thru Asia Tees. They weren't cheap. And you also have to buy the special portal covers to use them. All together I spent about $250. This was before Traxxas came out with their own tracks. I would probably get the Traxxas ones if I could do it over now.

Wow that’s good to know, thanks

Edubb is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX 4 Tracks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 Blazer/Bronco or TRX-6 Mercedes? Mudsplat79 Traxxas TRX-4 22 08-14-2020 08:25 AM
Tank tracks/half tracks?? Devilbrad Tires and Wheels 11 07-27-2009 05:36 PM
Tracks? MaxxZilla General Crawlers 16 07-06-2004 11:59 PM